Amir hurt

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

With Johnson out 2 weeks minimum, look for Flip to have won pretty much. Even before the injury to Johnson, Saunders announced that Mohammed would be given major minutes to start the season. Remember, Dyess is starting, without even needing to win the position from anyone. Mohammed now will be the first big off the bench, with Flip already planning to have Mohammed playing 24 minutes a game in some early games.

All this leaves precious little time for JMAX and Amir. Further, Saunders pretty much announced we will not get to see Amir and JMAX in the same game, pretty much never. Says they don't rebound well enough on the defensive end.

To complete the thought, Flip Murray, a guy who does not even know the game, is being highly touted as being in great shape and pushing to get into the rotation. Basically, Flip now has eliminated all but Stuckey, amongst the young guys, from any significant playing time early in the season. (and even Hayes, a young guy himself, will get precious little time as Saunders strives to run Tay into dust.)

As Joe Dumars stands by and allows it.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, I don't see the same picture that you see. Amir is listed as day-to-day. Both Johnson and Maxiell will be key members of the second unit. Stucky is still the back-up point guard. Flip Murray and Nazr Mohammed coming to camp in excellent shape doesn't make the Pistons worse. It creates for some great competition in camp. It will ultimately make the young guys better. Flip Saunders job is to make sure the Pistons win games. If the young players are ready to step in and make contributions on both ends of the court, they will be in the rotation.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

com'mon you guys, everything is back in order. Vets play first and the rooks get to fight their way in. It's the Dumars way.
    Dang-it.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bill, how can you really believe what you wrote? Lets do the math. 32 minutes for Sheed, 28 for Dyess. This leaves 36 backup minutes for the bigs spots. Saunders has already written Mohammed in for 24 minutes in a couple of early games. This leaves just 12 minutes for JMAX and Amir to split. Further, don't believe for a moment that Amir will get any time at small forward. They are really liking the ability of Hayes to knock down outside shots.

Now, maybe you don't think my math is right. Did you read the part about Amir and JMAX not getting to play together-due to neither being good defensive rebounders? Think about it. The starters are only off the floor so much. If Amir and JMAX have to split that time in half, then niether will play much.

All this stuff is being decided before even one actual game is being played. Not only do the rooks not factor in to Saunders plans, he won't even give them a shot to become a part of the rotation.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He did that last year too and some Dumars intervention got Deflino and Maxiell more PT. I'm thinking if JD needs to step in again, its going to be with a pink slip. That said, i like murray and mohammad's professionalism.
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

this is a good thing. nazr and flip can be showcased for trade. i don't think we'll get much trade value for them if we have them stuck on the bench behind young players. amir i believe can't go back to the nbdl. i don't think he'll be happy riding the bench all year.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah, we can't afford it. Amir IS the ace in the hole. There is nothing left up the sleeve. It's going to be Stuckey and Amir or its going to be lottery time in 2 -3 years.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Lets not jump to any conclusions until we actually see what is going on. There's a lot of talk about a lot of stuff right now, but it will all play out during the games.
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

How can Nazr get 24 minutes?

Nazr will foul out before he gets to 24 minutes.

:hoops:
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Aw shucks, Flip is doing it all the right way.

You start out giving the vets the minutes and talk it up to the press. Then you sit back and watch what the rookies, AJ and JMax are made of and if they can earn the minutes away from the vets.

Got to find out how bad the youngins want to be on the court and have em earn it.

:hoops:
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What if they want it so bad they make noise like..."get me out of Detroit" or "this guy is not good enough to play in front of me". "Flip Saunder is a poor judge of talent etc."
  12. NYCpistonfan

NYCpistonfan Second Round Draft Pick

Re: Amir and Jmax

You have to look at not just what he said but why he might have said it. The obvious reason is to get them fired up on the Defensive glass!!!! and the threat of less playing time (not being on the court together) is a great way of getting the message accross...... (also i have seen the quote 2 ways and wonder if it already isn't being exagerated
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope it happens, then the Pistons might have a better coach if Joe D. fires Flip.
  14. max

max All-Star

1st off, the Coach does not particularly like Mohammed. It was he who benched him last year. Nazir may be forced to play so we can hopefully trade him but thats about it.

Secondly, no way is Dyess going to play 28 MPG. Even if he is starting.

Where and when did Flip say he was not going to play Amir and Maxiel at the same time?
  15. mikhail1973

It is probably more of a speculation by the writer:
    MLive.com: Everything Michigan
  16. mikhail1973

Pistons' Mohammed stays positive; Saunders expects him to play 20-25 minutes
  17. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

they are giving nazr another chance because he is the only true centre we have. if he works out playing 20-25 mpg that's great. if he doesn't, we start plugging holes. i'd rather give the square peg the chance to fit into the square peg first, then try forcing the other shapes later on.

having sheed play the 5 is not in our best interests. you may find that if he starts getting fouled out a lot or getting 2 fouls in the first quarter more often than not he is going to be less aggressive on D so he can stay in the game. we need that other big body on D (as suspect as nazr's is) to take fouls away from sheed.

ps - dyess is foul prone, whether half his fouls are actual fouls or not. same with nazr. so amir and max are going to find minutes one way or another. i wouldn't panic.
  18. max

max All-Star

Yes I took that as speculation. Flip was not actually quoted saying that.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, the quote says Mohammed will get that many minutes in the first couple of games, since we are facing big centers. But lets say he gets this kind of minutes regularly. Are you sure you would be ok with it. There are not much more than 36 minutes of backup minutes available behind Dyess and Sheed, the starters. If Mohammed averages 20, then JMAX and Amir can only average about 8 minutes each. Are you really sure you are comfortable with that?
  20. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i'm not really trying to argue with you. i want the young guys to see as much time as possible. i think 20-25 for nazr is a big stretch.

i'm just more comfortable with the idea of having a semi-productive nazr earning some of his $30 mil rather than going to waste on the bench. he still is the only real centre we have who has a body big enough to face the bigger guys. spot minutes don't really work with nazr, he needs to be playing at least a little bit to be effective. even if that means 10 mpg every game.

i also don't think dyess will average 30 mins a game in the regular season. he might start, but i think he will still hover around the 20-25 mark.

so if nazr gets 10 and dyess gets 25 that leaves 41 minutes for max and amir. if i'm a realist i say max gets 21 and amir gets 10. that is until flip has had enough with nazr and benches him again at which point 25 goes to max and 15 goes to amir. which is reasonable. (also assuming that neither of them spends any time at SF.)