AMIR IN STARTING LINE-UP???

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pistons Lover, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

According to DBB, Antonio McDyess will not be in the starting line-up. Curry thinks that Dice should come off the bench because he thinks Dice is more comfortable coming off the bench and he said this, “With Dice starting last year, he averaged the same number of shots in eight more minutes a game as the did the two years before that.” “We think he can be more efficient when he’s not out there with the starting unit. We have so many guys who are capable scorers and who want to score the basketball. What we have on our second unit – and I know you don’t always play first and second unit at the same time – we have Rodney Stuckey, who, like Dice, could very well be a starter, and when you have both of those guys anchoring your second unit, you allow your role players to play their roles and not play outside of themselves."

Curry said that Kwame, Max, and Amir has opportunity to be in the starting line-up. He feels that Amir has more of chance to play alongside with Rasheed Wallace in the starting line-up. He wants to use a five-man frontcourt rotation. Dice will be the first big man off the bench, with Brown and Jason Maxiell getting regular minutes, and Brown getting more minutes against bigger teams like San Antonio or La Lakers and Maxiell against smaller, more athletic teams like Golden State or Charlotte.

PistonsNationBlog.com

Detroit Bad Boys
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I love it when a plan comes together!
  3. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I would love to see Amir in the starting lineup for at least a few games just to see how it works.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If there serious, nothing short of 2-3 solid months will be warrented... he's going to suck it up some nights and be a game breaker other nights, but there going to need to let him work through it. with 5 big men to rotate thru each needs to get there 15 mins a night, just play the two that give us the chance to win "that night" in the 4th... with some thought to letting them all get some chances to get us ready for the playoffs.

By Jan we'll know where we stand and adjust the starting lineup/make trades as needed.... but could be fun to see what the kids really can bring when there given roles that they can handle and allowed to grow...

No AA 5 secs at the end of a quarter... sigh
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

This news is VERY encouraging, indeed!!!!!
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Best off-season news thus far :nod:
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Was this better for you than even saying good bye to Flip..
    :( :mad: :eyebrows: :laugh: :nerner: :greenapple: :wacko: :swear2: :ballchain
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Second best off-season news so far! LOL
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed, that sounds like a very solid plan.

Agreed!!!
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The main thing is that he's getting a chance, something Flip refused to do.
  11. Pistons Lover

Thank You!!! My cousin was denying what you just said. I feel the same way. I think Flip was trying to pull LB (Larry Brown). You know how LB doesn't like to play players that are rookies or they are inexperienced.
  12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

This is very encouraging. Is Micheal Curry browsing Pistons Forums through out the net? It seems he's doing all the right things like play Stuckey/Afflalo more and now having a plan.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If Amir starts, I wonder if Curry will somehow accidently or otherwise realize that Amir can be out there at small forward some. With JMAX playing power forward.

Our best front line is Amir, JMAX, and Sheed. Its been that way for two years now. Seems about time they actually used it.

A side benefit is that Tay could then play some shooting guard for us, allowing us to go big.

Targeting Stuckey for 30 minutes is counterproductive to the idea of going big. You do not want to limit Afflalo's minutes, since he is our best perimeter defender. More like simply play Billups, Tay, and Rip less, give Stuckey about 20 to 24 minutes. This leaves plenty of room for Afflalo to get minutes, and plenty of ops for us to go big with Tay at shooting guard.

Looking at the big picture, thats a 5 guard rotation, and a rotation of 6 guys on the front line. (Counting Tay in both groups.)

Guards: Billups, Stuckey, Afflalo, Rip, Tay

Front line players: Tay, Amir, JMAX, Dyess, Kwame, Sheed.

And finally, all this opens up some room for Samb to play some up front. Having a tall, long, shot blocker in the mix is always a good idea. Make the other team think every time they shoot - are they going to get their shot blocked.
  14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Now that I think about...starting Amir probably is the best fit for the starting 5 in terms of intangibles and balance- assuming he can continue to be productive in that role.

He won't have to do anything other than what he already does very well. Hustle, hit the glass, and defend- he is our best pick and roll defender and one of our best shot blockers. Might come in handy as a help side defender vs. Lebron, Pierce, Wade etc. Plus, he adds an athlete to the starting 5, which has been a weakness. If he gets into foul trouble it's not a big deal because we still have a lot of big men on the bench. Plus, he's probably the best compliment to Sheed other than maybe Kwame.

Also...

I like the idea of Stuckey and McDyess running the pick and roll off the bench, with Maxiell and Afflalo cleaning things up. Maybe throw in Rip or Hermann at SF to add a 3pt shooter. Kwame replaces Maxiell vs. Howard, Perkins, JO, Curry, Dalembert, Ilgauskas, Varejao, Horford, etc..
  15. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Now that I think about...starting Amir probably is the best fit for the starting 5 in terms of intangibles and balance- assuming he can continue to be productive in that role.

He won't have to do anything other than what he already does very well. Hustle, hit the glass, and defend- he is our best pick and roll defender and one of our best shot blockers. Might come in handy as a help side defender vs. Lebron, Pierce, Wade etc. Plus, he adds an athlete to the starting 5, which has been a weakness. If he gets into foul trouble it's not a big deal because we still have a lot of big men on the bench. Plus, he's probably the best compliment to Sheed other than maybe Kwame.

Also...

I like the idea of Stuckey and McDyess running the pick and roll off the bench, with Maxiell and Afflalo cleaning things up. Maybe throw in Rip or Hermann at SF to add a 3pt shooter. Kwame replaces Maxiell vs. Howard, Perkins, JO, Curry, Dalembert, Ilgauskas, Varejao, Horford, etc..
  16. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I'm seeing double...:)
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Well one things for sure, if we went with that lineup we'd be the only team in the league with a big lineup that has a 6'6 power forward.
  18. pistonsfan

pistonsfan First Round Draft Pick

This still does not solve the problem of who in the front court is going to score for the pistons. I think for last 2-3 years, that was one of their biggest problems. When they needed a bucket, it was always somebody (mainly Chauncey and/or Rip) jacking up a shot from 17 foot+.

I still have reservations about how this is going to work out. They might do ok in the regular season but in the playoffs this is still going to be a problem unless Dumars does something about it at the trade deadline.
  19. Pistons Lover

That's because they had more experience in being the closers of the game. I wouldn't want someone who's not use to that type of pressure making that shot out the clear blue. I mean it would be a lucky shot if made but do you really want to waste a game on luck??

It's going to work out for the best. Ok in the regular season?? I think we are going to either end up in the 2 spot or 3 spot...they were in the 3 spot when they won the 'Ship. Like I said, if Joe trades for someone and we have to give away a lot of people for one person or two people it's not going to make sense at all. I understand that the starters are getting older but I felt that they didn't play the "right way" because of Flip Saunders. Please pay attention to what goes on and the expressions of their faces in the huddle. Rasheed didn't even listen to Flip's plans b/c he knew Chaunce would change them out on the floor and they didn't work in Minnesota!!
  20. max

max All-Star

The most encouraging thing that I took out of that is that there will be a 5 man rotation up front. Or even if Curry is not able to go that deep at least there is an emphasis on it and not that stale 3-man we have been seeing.

Its going to be interesting to see how Sheed responds to this inside out offense. Possible clashes with the new coach could be on the horizon.