Amir Johnson 2006/7

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Amir Johnson is being labelled by the media as this year's first round pick.

From wikipedia
    His game-by-game D-League stats
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/amir_johnson/game_by_game_stats.html

For those who don't know or have forgotten, AJ was the last high school player taken in the NBA draft. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement reached last summer no longer allows direct entry to the NBA from High School.

Video of his windmill dunk during his first NBA action (garbage time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQMAp6azNQ

Video of his High School Dunk Competition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTJnszt5g8

The question is, what do you think AJ can be, and how much playing time do you think he will earn with the Pistons this year?
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It would be sweet to see AJ come on stronger than some of these highly pubbed 1st rounders... my hope is that AJ pushes Dice/Sheed/Delfino for some PT...
    I would bet money that Evans is gone before the Feb deadline... nice stats and desirable contract.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Would it be to the Pistons advantage (as far as repressing free agent value) to have AJ light up the D-League or earn a couple minutes here and there with the big club?

I'm not sure myself.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Screw the D-league. I think he can really help of the bench.
  5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Let him start the season with the big club for evaluation of strengths and weaknesses. If he can operate as a power 3, crashing the boards and overmatching opposing reserves down low, he gives Detroit something we can use.
  6. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm a huge Amir fan. This kid is just filthy. He had the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th best dunks in the SL last year. He's Darius Miles with a motor. As of this moment, I see him as a four who can defend threes. The only things that are keeping him from playing the three are his handle (which is improving), and his release. His release on his jumper is really low and slow. It's an off the shoulder thing, but he is bringing it closer to his eyebrow (which he has to do). He's not as talented as Miles, but I view this as a good thing. Miles constantly pushes the limits of his game, and ends up hurting his team. Amir plays within himself. In other words, Amir loves playing in the paint, and he takes what he's given on the perimeter, which I love.

In my opinion, he would go somewhere between 7 and 12 in this year's draft. He's a solid lottery talent.

Having said that, I don't see him as a rotation guy this year. His B-Ball I.Q. isn't all that great yet. He's not going to push Dice at the four, or Delfino at the three. He's talented, but not a rotation player on a championship team. I think that he'll be a star in the D-league though.

A.J. is a player.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

D-league all the way. he should be turning heads in college. Still. We'll see if the d-league system holds a candle to a college program for developing players.
  8. max

max All-Star

This is pretty much what was said about Delfino. If we go by recent history then Amir should take over Darko's place and sit on the bench until he is traded. Dumars recently said something to the effect that he is not concerned about not having a 1st round pick because rookies are too inexperienced for the Pistons.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I said it before last season started and I'll say it again. Acker and AJ need to be in the D-League.

Training camp with the big boys, D-League for the first half of the season and then re-evaluate at the all-star break. If they're ready to make the jump, bring them up and PLAY THEM RIGHT AWAY! Don't let them rot on the bench.

That gives them half a season to build confidence and half a season to get comfortable with the big boys before the playoffs.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm stupid. I forgot you can bring the players back up from the D-League. I agree with Jammer now. They'll have more time to improve in the D-league and if Amir, and Acker can help you can bring em back up.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Not to de-rail this thread, but why did JMAX not spend time in the D-League last year?

That's why, as much as I'd like to see Amir in the bigs, I'd rather he got some PT in the D-League. Bring him in for the preseason, and see what he can do. How he fits. If he needs more work, send him to the D-League.
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I might be making this up, but I thought it was only 2 players at a time per NBA team. It would have been nice to have all 3 playing together in the D though, to build some chemistry.

That's not to say that they couldn't have rotated so each of them got some time both in the D and with the big boys.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You're Right and right again
  14. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

I saw him in D league. He looked most comfortable in the post. He is tenacious on defense but anyone who thinks this kid can play the 3 spot. He is a long way from that. He needs the to be in developement. Acker is good too but he should be given the point (in D league) to run and eventually be a combo guard. He was following his shots and getting his own rebounds how novel for a shooter. He hit the glass for a guard. He was impressive too.... I agree how does J Max stack up, lets find out in the D league.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-----------------
    Wow! Sarcasm, truth, sarcastic-truth?
    Please somehow someway get AJ minutes!
  16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

That's pretty narrow-minded thinking by Joe. I guess that's what leads to a pick like Darko. Seems like current NBA Finals MVP Dwayne Wade could have made an impact. Chris Bosh, too.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Zoo69 there is something to be said for digging in with with your starters. Truth continuity, whatever, but when does it hurt your team? JD is falling back on something he went through as a player. None of our starters are high picks [except maybe Sheed?] You can't be throwing future MJs/stars away.
    IJDWT
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Antonio McDyess 1995 #2
    Chauncey Billups 1997 #3
    Rasheed Wallace 1995 #4
    Rip Hamilton 1999 #7
    Lindsey Hunter 1993 #10
    Tayshaun Prince 2002 #23

6 of the top 7 were first round picks, 5 lottery picks, 3 top-5 picks.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thanks for that AHB. But mostly I was talking 1-5, Tay wouldn't count. We drafted Lenz and he doesn't start anymore. Dice could start but his knees are the reason he fell to us. Hard to believe CB was a 3 and nobody would give him a serious chance. So we wait for high picks to fall through the cracks then give them a chance. It's kinda worked for JD and Mr.D, sound fiscal penny pinching.