Amir Johnson = Andre Blatche

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Mar 7, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Pistons need to seriously consider playing AJ.

Looking at the Wizards, Blatche is given an opportunity for significant minutes. Both of these guys came into the league at the same time, they are very similar in statue, playing style, wiry frame i.e.

I really like what the Wizards are doing in developing their young guys. We need to take a ppage from Grunsfeld/Eddie Jordan's book.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I completely agree. The Pistons are letting AJ "get seasoned" for too long. Let the guy play.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To quote Slippy's quote from DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website. yesterday...

"At the of 19, Johnson’s upside as a prospect remains very high, and the time he has spent in the D-League has clearly benefited him. He could potentially be a hustle type player for the Pistons within the next two years, but he has the potential to be a starter in the NBA down the road if he can polish his skills. Defensively, Johnson does need to work on being more physical, and he needs to use his body to rebound rather than relying on his natural leaping ability."

(http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit...-johnson-sioux-falls-skyforce-tracker-17.html)

Assuming this guy knows something of which he speaks, sounds more to me like the pundits think that the D-League is the place for Amir right now, and probably for at least the rest of the season. Yes, he's doing well in the D-League, but dominating down there doesn't mean you can play up here.

P.S. And to update my incredibly insightful post in the same thread where I read the draftexpress article and observed that Amir was born on New Year's Eve of 2000 - all right, could have been a typo. He is a baby face, but even I think he's more than six years old.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He's a prodigy dba!

He is getting opportunities to play. He should still be in college right now so D-league is good. IF we don't stink up the rest of March, I'd like to see him, Maxiell and Delfino all playing heavy minutes.

We'll need to set minutes aside for him next season for sure.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why would any great high school prospect go to college for more than the required 1 year?

Amir has been getting paid nicely and he hasn't done anything for us in 2 years.

Joakim Noah was the top prospect in the Country, he plays an extra year and drops a ton. That will not only cost him the 1 year in salary that he didn't play, but his contract will be for less when he signs.

There is no way I would recommend to a college player to delay going pro. Especially when you see the Livingston injury. That is how quickly your career can end. If a player like Noah did that in college, it would be tragic.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

They're all high school prodigy's. A lot more come out too early than get injured.

I agree we need to fire the coach. Play him!
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

P.S. And to update my incredibly insightful post in the same thread where I read the draftexpress article and observed that Amir was born on New Year's Eve of 2000 - all right, could have been a typo. He is a baby face, but even I think he's more than six years old.

Yeah I just blew past that, figured you clean it up.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree armygirl. We get to see a lot of this kid here in DC and he looks good. It amazes me how Detroit refuses/will not play it`s youngsters unless forced to - due to injuries...suspensions..etc.

Eddie Jordan is not afraid to sit veterans if they are not performing and will get in their face, as he has done on occasions with his mentally challenged star, Gilbert Arenas.

Grunsfeld and Jordan are doing a good job with the Wiz, and they wisely are developing young talent here. In a couple of years they may truly be a contender in the EC with their maturing youth.

What is Dumars and Flip thinking?
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

FROM THE JOE DUMARS INTERNAL MONOLOG, 8 MARCH, 7:55PM

Boy, look at the dogs in THAT frontcourt! Calvin Booth, the worst free agent big since Jon Koncak ... Brendan Haywood and Etan Thomas, who've had as many fights as Ali-Frazier ... plus Jamison and Ruffin, who've been hurt.

Wish I could be as much smart as the Wizards. That Jarvis Hayes is living proof of how you develop a young player.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

God knows I hope not, but that group you just named might go further than the Pistons in the postseason.

Damn, did I say that???:sssh:
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Laugh now if you will, those guys you just mentioned are playing their arses off as we speak. Jarvis Hayes can light it up, Etan Thomas can stuff it down, (how many times did Etan posterize pistons players this year, yipes)?, when Jordan pits Haywood and Etan against each other, they both become so competitive, two competitors who don't like each other. Eddie Jordan is from southeast D.C., I even think that he facilitates and even encourages this open competition from these two guys (fight or flight theory). Andre Blatche will be a player in this league, a wiry 20 year old with Tay Prince type wing span, shot blocker, good hands and still growing.

With all that said, I hate the Wizards, always have, but I truly respect what Eddie Jordan has done with this team, if they someday (hopefully not this season)develop defensive chemistry, they are going to be a scary team and I hope like hell we won't have to play them if that happens.