Amir Johnson - Detroit Piston Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 13, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I wonder if any the guys gave Darko suits like they did Amir?

Brown probably gave Darko his suit from his North Carolina days.

[​IMG]

Dressing the right way.

:hoops:

2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I hate to make the comparison, but the guy Amir really reminds me of is KG. Both are fluid, explosive 6'11 guys (although KG probably has a couple inches on Amir) who just seem to be able to make plays that other guys just can't make. Both can play inside and out, and both have that special motor that's always going. Both have great hands and can finish with authority around the hoop. I don't think that Amir will ever board like KG, but I do think that Amir probably has a better feel for the open court. I would say that Amir definitely has more upside than a guy like Jermaine O'neal. He's a rare find.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

J-Train, I was just lamenting to a friend this afternoon that Joe Dumars seems to retract (opposite of reach) in the late first round. That he would rather draft safe than gamble.

But you make an interesting point about Amir being a rare find.

Which just made me think, seeing as how our team is fairly complete, would it be wise for Joe to make a point of trying to accumulate rare gems in the draft (with some likely misses) rather than drafting known quantities?

I reckon it's a risk/reward thing.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now that you mention it, I can't remember seeing more than one of those girls together any time that I was in Sioux Falls...

5. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Are you suggesting that you'd like to see Darko2 and Darko3 with our two first rounders this year? I'm not sure I can go through that again.

6. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

So who on this board has the largest (healthy) man crush on Amir? :love:

Besides me of course...

on spartantailgate I made a rambling post comparing him to Oden and Durant and how he could be at or approach that level.

7. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

First priority should be continuing to sign the best hungry vets available (Webber, Dyce, Sheed, Davis, Mohammed, Murray, etc.). If you can get underpaid experience, its the best possible scenario. We're proving this year that smart, solid veteran talent beats the tar out of super-athletic young guys. As long as JoeD provides a positive winning culture, I think we'll be able to nab these older guys every year.

As for drafting, I kinda like that High risk/ high reward drafting idea. If Joe can roll the dice in the draft every year and supplement the experienced core with one guy every few drafts that can we develop slowly (like Prince or AJ or Max), (and hopefully keep their first long-term contract price down by not playing them too much initially) we'll be golden. I'd say that the single most important thing here is that they have a head on their shoulders, to see the value in learning and growing (like Prince and AJ and Max), respecting their elders experience and learning from it, rather than "play me now or I'll cry" (Darko, Delfino). The guys that don't pan out can be let go to keep roster spots for experienced vets.

I can see us remaining on top without having to draft at all. If we do draft, lets go high risk/ high reward over safe. I hope we never have a "young" team again.

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

It doesn't take a long memory to recall the "Huh?" statements from Pistons fans when the Pistons passed up several draft board darlings to grab Tayshaun Prince. Or the disappointed murmur when he took an undersized power forward named Jason Maxiell, so devalued that he actually auditioned at the Portsmouth Invitational.

In a lot of places, the GM who makes flashy reach picks IS playing it safe. He gets all the cheers and praise from hopeful fans and draftniks. People call him visionary, imaginative. He gets the ink from the press.

Joe drafts the guy he thinks is a smart pick, rather than a safe one. Not a bad approach, given the small number of breakout stars originating in the late 1st round (other than a guy like Josh Howard, who probably didn't fit the profile of a sexy "gamble" either). Not many good ones get past us.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

he's played wayyyyy more than darko. he's had lots of in game action in the nbdl. he hasn't been sitting on the bench watching darvin ham get his minutes. he has been allowed to play his game and develop his own style. he has been supported and encouraged by the coaching staff instead of dogged out in the media.

darko might not have been better than ben/dice/sheed but he was good enough to get spot minutes. i know for a fact that in darko's 2nd year he was playing better than dice at the start of the season. yet he was never rewarded.

10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. that's a good way of developing young talent. don't play them and cause them not to want to resign with the organization. it makes sense to play the best players that's why delfino and darko said play me. it was players in front of them playing that weren't better than them. instead of getting production on rookie contracts we will be losing them as restricted free agents. i don't think it makes sense to be an eternally aging team.

11. MainManJoeD

When you draft someone in the late first round its unlikely that they will be instant superstars. So draft high risk/ high reward in hopes that one in 3 becomes a solid part of the franchise, the others are let go. Then surround these couple of key drafted franchise players by hungery vets. Give them time to develop in an environment of experience and success, (and hopefully avoid paying through the wazoo in their first (restricted) contract). This is dependent on the young guys being mature, being able to see the big picture. Prince, AJ and Max haven't argued about playing time in their first two seasons. They've just strapped it on. They're going to have their financial day and PT if they play hard and are patient, and will win some championships in the process.

BTW, we are not eternally aging. None of our guys are signed too much past their primes. Webber is only signed for one year. If we had signed BWallace for 6 years, then we'd be aging. I'm a little worried about signing Billups for too long. But signing say Grant Hill for 2 years to play behind Prince would be extraordinary. Its much better than hoping that Delfino develops into a great player. He may not, and worse, we'll have to pay him a lot more than getting Hill on the cheap. Also, I'll bet a few dollars that Hill is much hungrier for a title than Delfino at this point. Of course this plan only works if we can find another Hill once Hill is done. Experienced, but not old.

12. cdecember

cdecember First Round Draft Pick

I hope amir is plays during the playoffs, even if its only for junk times I think it would be a great experience for him.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good stuff... Bringing in vets in their prime formula has been working... and there will be more quality vets available every year for cheap... as long as the contract isn't to long (as Main Man says)
    I'm all for developing youth... BUT not all at the same time.... one or two per year is more than enough if you want to keep winning.
    I get a kick out of the folks that want to play every young kid that comes along... as Joe says there's a balance ... unless you want to be like the Celtics...
    I like other teams paying the price of development then swooping in when they are ready (Rip)...The D-League formula is pretty good as long as the kids get a little PT on their call ups.
    Winning is more important than major minutes for rooks.

14. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Roscoe, Joe's draft record isn't perfect, but I'd take his success rate over any other GM in the league. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Amir is a special player. I'm not sure if I've ever been this excited about a Pistons' draft prospect before. As the ole' Detnews guys will tell you, I loved Memo, but he doesn't have the ceiling, or the motor, that this kid does. As a rookie, I said that Memo had, "20 and 10 written all over him", which he would have, if he didn't play with Carlos Boozer. It's ridiculously early, and he's ridiculously raw, but this Amir kid is very, very special. I see multiple all-star games in his future. Yes, we do have the beginnings of a serious man-crush.

Mercury, my brother from another mother, I have some smack for you. The guy that is shooting up the boards right now is Javaris Crittenton. It's possible that he won't even be around at #15. Workouts will determine his ultimate position, but I've heard he might go before Conley. I'm not sure I believe it, but I've heard it from more than one guy. What may interest you more is a Euro-flavored rumor invlovling our old friend Tony Ronzone. The deafening buzz across the way is that Ronzone seems to be inordinately disposed to watching basketball games in which Ante Tomic is involved. Ronzone is somewhat known for going to %%%% games to throw people off the scent, but I figured you would appreciate the heads up.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hey Train... good stuff ma-man.
    Definately not in love with Conley like the majority... the guy can't D.
    Very interesting on the Tomic call... I had suggested he would be our next Ronzone special when he was calling Tomics backyard the hottest Euro breeding ground to-date.
    Got an eye on Stuckey lately... if he slips to our own pick it will be like a lotto pick.
    Collison is still hedging on putting his name in... this is the kid I'm real excited about... just reminds me of Gary Payton early on.... he's got that winners attitude you like.

This is why Jtrain brings the goods :^)

16. buddahfan

ESPN.com - NCB - UCLA's Collison, Mbah a Moute won't enter draft

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

18. MainManJoeD

youth and experience

About youth and age, this years playoffs are a perfect example.

Chicago= one of the best young teams ever= going nowhere fast and can't sign all those guys to contracts= difficult to sustain

Miami= too old (even with healthy Wade)= losing now and going backwards fast, Wade and Shaq big contracts= handcuffs

Pistons= experienced but not too old with a few spring chickens and no big contracts = winning and sustainable

Joe Dumars= genious

19. buddahfan

No problem. Being a long time Los Angeles Bruin basketball fan I try to keep up on their comings and goings and other odds and ends of note.

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Re: youth and experience

My sentiments exactly.