Amir Johnson - Hollywood Computer Geek

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I really thought that the biggest difference was the OS interface (GUI). Some people are more used to certain styles.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am not sure how that will prevent AJ from designing games on a Mac given that that is what he now uses.

:hoops:
  3. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Don't be mislead by the media (and cults that drive ideological usage) specifics and instead look at the framework. Developer's are not born on the scene, but takes years of experiencing user platforms, along with comfort levels that produces less bugs and better productivity for the people that pay them. Many combinations for productivity (in direct proportion to similarity of usage) revolves around the industry frameworks: like, .NET, Visual Studio, C++, C#, XML, and the new Silverlight platform plug-in, which will issue a whole new generation of experiences in interactive applications for the web.

Most of the CG and Gaming professionals are contractors for hire. They revolve around companies that have specific needs and budget openings for the latest work coming down the pipeline. They operate similar to a closed shop...think like the NBA system containing Agents, GM's, Owners, Media professionals and the framework called contractual arrangements (CG people have no unions).

When companies are not getting where they want to be and we all want to be....then think management and administration use/perception of talent and how to stabilize developmental/potential talent (or lack there of). Youth is not actively served and must wait in the long line. Let us not forget that this is all a zero-sum game..where one gets and someone proportionally, (I wish) loses.

This dovetails into the Parker diatribe against the organizational appreciation of the most recent Piston successes. We live in a cynical age and this is not without some justification. Most journalism is leaving its oversight abilities behind and merely takes the easier route of in-house comfort levels and system level bias. Of course they usually are composing explanations of possibilities for an audience that are at 8th grade reading/perception levels...take your pick.

When Parkers hits different takes from other perceptions levels now evident on the web, he would be much better to offer different explanations regarding the intended audience. If you go mushroom picking, it best to know the physical characteristics of the species and the particular climate of growth that cultivates it (area specific).

Mushroom hunting can cover a lot of ground (or underground as the case may be).

What's the largest living thing?

A mushroom. The largest recorded specimen is in Malheur National Forest in Oregon. It covers 2,200 acres and is nearly 3000 years old. Most of it is connected underground.

Now let's see...we went from computers (hardware/software), to organizations, to journalist/journalism, and finally on to the mushrooms.

Who says we are not all connected?
  4. Slippy

Pas, you and I are related...that makes roscoe our cousin!
  5. Slippy

I just want to also put in that cg is an inter-disciplinary function. You have modelling, animating, skinning, sketching, compositing...my understanding is that modeling and animating and a lof ot compositing is done on non mac-ish stuff but skinning and sketching is done equally on differing platforms.

Also most of this doesn't relate to amir and computer science since he would probably be an artist rather than a math crunching code hacking programmer of the tools that artist use.

Computer science...no. computer art...possibly.
  6. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Agreed. What I would do is have someone (or others) within the forum introduce him to the Wacom tablet and Painter. The younger ones hit the web and I am sure it would get back to him. Could be a nice (and non-descript) link outside the system for all concerned. The art of possibililty.

Don't let this get around to Parker.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is an amazing thread. Mushrooms and cousins. I don't know how I missed it.