Amir Johnson - Missing In Action

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

These are just the facts. Coincidence or a sign of things to come?

1. Basically didn't play with the Pistons his first two years, except the last game of each year. (He played some before the last game of each year but very little)

2. Didn't play in this year's summer league except for the last game (contract dispute)

3. Won't play in this exhibition season except for maybe the last game, due to an injury.

I love the guy's game but but if you believe in Karma, which I do, there is something definitely not right here. There is a pattern that has started to develop.

Meaningless, maybe. But at this point I have to put any further support for him aside until I can see him play on the court for the Pistons.

There is no use in wasting effort supporting someone who has developed a pattern of not playing for us over his 2 + year career.

Even if he plays next week against Washington it won't be enough to get him into the rotation. In fact at this point I would put Cheikh on the team as the 12th guy, since we need a big to replace Johnson, and let Johnson work his way onto the active 12.

I don't know if they can send Johnson back to the D league or not. I think that there is a two year limitation, but maybe when you have an injured player trying to get back in shape exceptions are allowed.

Frustrating to say the least.

Dupree still working hard for Pistons' job

:stirthepot:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

During the last game, Blaha mentioned that Kander deemed Amir's ankle sprain to be the worst one he's seen in quite a while.

If you have ever had a severe ankle sprain playing ball, then you know that it is probably not something that you could have avoided and there is no rushing the comeback.

I would even suggest that he will probably be tentative for a good month after he actually starts playing again.

Just bad luck. Better now than during the season.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He's young. He has potential. He's not asked out and he just signed a 3-year deal. Lets give the guy a chance.

4. buddahfan

Champion just said on the radio right before this game against the Stones that Johnson will probably not play next Wednesday against Washington.

What would you guys do with him once he is ready to play?

I would send him to the D league if possible to get in game shape.

He needs to play when he gets healthy and he shouldn't use the Pistons regular season to get into game shape and integrate with the Pistons. If he was a veteran it would be a different story, but as basically a rookie he won't be ready to play in the rotation.

Of course I don't know if they can do that. If not it is a problem. Because he needs to play and no way is he ready to play in the rotation in my opinion.

Of course we will see what unfolds over the next two weeks.

Right now I would give the 12th slot for Cheikh.

:hoops:

5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Play him while the team is still a work in progress. If you wait until rotations are pretty much set, Flip isn't going to want to change them for a young guy. Plus, The d-leauge season doesn't even start until the end of November. Besides, an out-of-shape amir (which I doubt he is), can still get around better than pretty much anyone else on the team.

I still don't get why Flip won't play him in the PRESEASON after missing 2-3 practices. Seems like just another excuse for old flipper to ignore the youth. These are meaningless games, if he can play, then throw him out there. It's not like the starters are making an effort.

6. buddahfan

Lee and you are both spouting this stuff about Flip not playing the youth when there is absolutely no evidence to prove your statements.

Being in shape is one thing.

Being in game shape comes only from playing in games.

Being in rotation shape for a rookie comes only from playing in the rotation.

Being in shape is not enough to put him in the rotation. He needs to play competitively first to get game minutes and in game shape. Then he will need to be very slowly worked into the rotation, since there are very few practices once the season starts. This year is even worse in that regard since we play 8 out of first 10 games on the road, when you get no practices.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip won't play Amir because Johnson is hurt. It's that simple.

8. FreshPrince22

The proof is right in front of your face. It's the freaking pre-season, and he won't play Amir because he missed a couple practices. Why not use this time to get him back in "rotation shape"? There is no better time. I guess Flip wants to wait until we get into meaningful games to let him get into "rotation shape".... right? Something seems fishy. I'm doubting Flip tries to implement him after the regular season has begun.
    Well I guess we'd better shut him down for the year then by the sounds of it.

I simply don't believe that he will get into the rotation this year if he doesn't get the chance early on. If he can play, you play him.

9. buddahfan

Johnson is still hurt.

As of yesterday Johnson was still not able to complete a practice, because he can't do cuts without pain in his bad ankle.

How can you play a guy who can't run cuts without having pain in his ankle?

I don't think he needs to be shut down for the year. He needs to get into game shape and then slowing worked into the rotation.

I don't like it any better than the next Pistons fan, being a big fan of Johnson, but the team comes first and you can't put a rookie in the rotation if he is not in game shape or has not practiced with the team.

The best you can do is put him on the active roster and play him in garbage time and if he earns more minutes then work him into the rotation.

Of course Flip could just throw him to the wolves once Johnson can run and cut without pain and hope for the best. It could be his practices will be sufficiently impressive once he is healthy enough to practice next week? that he will be able to play some once the season starts other than garbage time.

At this time my top ten are

Tay
    Sheed
    Dyess
    C-Bill
    Rip

2nd unit

JMax
    Hayes
    Nazr
    Murray
    Hot Rod

With Afflalo 11th, though if he keeps playing like he has in the last few exhibition games he could move ahead of Murray at some point. I doubt that he will move ahead of Hot Rod because AA doesn't play the point and Murray can't play the point either. Even though Hot Rod is struggling at this point he is really the only Pistons option to back up C-Bill at the point and the Pistons for now are committed to try and make him an NBA point guard.

AJ would be #12. He will have to work his way past Nazr, which he will do eventually. The only question is when.

10. FreshPrince22

I know I read just before the Mavs game a quote from Amir saying he was ready to play, and was hoping to get minutes in that game. I'll look around for the article. That, combined with the fact that Flip is saying he won't play Amir until he practices makes me think he could be playing. I can obviously see not playing him until he practices in the regular season, but pre-season? It's not like he missed training camp completely. He just missed the last couple days.

Again, I don't trust Flip. He will screw this up.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amir is going to be a part of the rotation and Saunders wants him integrated as soon as possible. When Johnson is healthy, we'll see him in games. Until then, it would be foolish on the organization's part to rush him back and risk a bigger setback.

12. FreshPrince22

I'll believe it when I see it
    Definitely, but I have heard conflicting reports of whether he is healthy enough to play or not.

13. buddahfan

S
    Show me the quote.

Thanks

Is Flip holding him out of practicing for no reason?

Not very likely considering the Pistons invested $9 million in him and Joe D. is hanging around the practices.

14. FreshPrince22

Found it!
    PISTONS: Pistons at Mavericks Gameday
    Holding him out of practice? The article says they didn't practice on thursday, and there has been a game every other day. The last day they could have possibly practiced was Tuesday. Tuesday to Saturday is 5 days.

If he's hurt, and is being held out for that, that's fine. If he's ready to play, and Flip just doesn't want to play him in the preseason because he missed a couple practices, that is an issue.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Correction.

17. buddahfan

18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The question is how much time will Flip allow AJ once the season begins. He kept talking about AJ needing practice and pre-season PT to get into the rotation. It worries me somewhat.

19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Depends on if he comes in and gives us an "easy" 20 and 10 in 24 minutes tomorrow.

That would be AWESOME!!!!

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, but wait, Mohammed is out also, coming back the very same time. And he is in game shape -to play major minutes? How is that?