Amir Johnson - Missing In Action

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think that they are trying to avoid AJ developing Achilles Tendonitis. Hopefully they are catching this problem soon enough.

For treatment see link

It could be, and I am no doctor, that the soreness developed as a result of him playing against the Wiz when his calf muscle was in a weakened state from the ankle injury.

Achilles Tendonitis

:hoops:
  2. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Or is it a sign of things to come. I remember Amare having Achilles soreness then he went off for micro fracture. I knows its Halloween, but thats scary.
  3. buddahfan

Hopefully they are catching this thing early enough.

Right now he is off my radar. I have mentally tuned him out as far as playing for us. We have to go with what we got and it appears to me that for the foreseeable future we ain't got him.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    For now he's off my radar as well, but at some point he's gotta join the team. Pistons will need his contributions.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A redefinition of the first statement should read: quantity, plus longevity, does not equate to perception...but, it does provide some measure of survivability. I give high credit toward the latter, with a slight re-balancing toward a human factor of the easiest route. Following Maslow, we should always look at all the exquisite tools within the tool shed.

In regards toward your second statement: never for get you are an outsider (perceptions aside) and sometimes you just have to live long enough. Most of the time it is never good enough, but then, what is? Most boats float because of their proportional distribution of volume; you and I might have the slight edge of the long wave: a lightness of being.

Now the fun part: the absence of Stuckey is an assumption of presence. He has not officially played in an NBA game, absence the present of some fantasy worlds lived by some forum members. Yes, I am very high on Murray's game. Truth be told, I have always been high on another player (with similar game) and that is Bonzi Wells. Do not underestimate Huston: with James (the jitterbug) and Wells (chip-on-shoulder) you can sense a reincarnation from a Peggy Lee song (Is That All There Is?).

Which brings me to Afflalo: he is solid, solid, solid. I have only watched a few games,when he played at UCLA, but this guy is 110%. He will not lose you a ballgame. This guy is a Bowen writ large. Always, always within himself and knows the edge he will bring at the right time. Flip will give him time and keep him motivated. Oh yea, did I mention: this guy is the best three point shooter on the team (sorry Tay).
  6. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Joe should trade this injury-prone, unproven hype-machine. :frusty:
  7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Have to think it's compensation for the ankle and they are just being very cautious.

Hopefully he can go for the home opener and this gives Chiek a chance to get a taste of 'the show'...
  8. buddahfan

Exactly. I would love to see us trade AJ for Bynum. Bynum is a true center about the same age as AJ and shows up. His game is also improving and he is getting stronger. At 7'0" and 285 lbs (still growing) this guy is a legitimate center who some day could be an all star.

As much talent as AJ has he will probably never be heavy enough to be a center and at this point he is behind JMax at the #4.

Bynum could help us now big time.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amir is going nowhere. He will be a special player for the Pistons. He's got the skills and he's got the right attitude. This injury will slow the process a bit, but he will break out this year. I guaransheed it.
  10. buddahfan

We need a center.

AJ will not get serious minutes with us at all until he can pass two of the following three players, Sheed, JMax and Dyess. This will not happen this year and maybe never unless he starts playing.

11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

1. Dyess and Sheed are getting older therefore more minutes open up.
    2. Nazr and JMax are both horrible matchups vs some bigs, so more minutes open up.
    3. Out of all the bigs Amir is the most complete package of size, quickness, strength, skill besides the starters.
    4. We do need a C and I think Amir can do that at times.
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Am I reading this correctly? A guy hurts his ankle and tweaks his achillies (sp) the only injuries I've heard about him getting in 2 years and your bailing on him?

:lame:

The game is moving away from true centers anyways...
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Right now, we both have our hunches. I think he'll be a key contributor at some point this year. We'll have to watch and see which one of us was correct.
  14. buddahfan

If we trade for Bynum he could start at center and we could move Sheed back to his normal position of PF.

Then we could move Dyess back to the 2nd unit which is where he really want to be and our 2nd unit front line would consist of Dyess, JMax and Hayes.

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Amir has turned into Korleone Young in a single preseason.
  16. buddahfan

I wouldn't say that trading AJ for Andrew Bynum is bailing on him.

While AJ has put up good numbers in the D league and decent numbers in limited time with us he has only played in about 50 games in the two plus years that he has been out of high school.

The game will never get away from good solid big men who can rebound and dominate under the glass on offense and defense.

I think AJ has more potential than Bynum but he won't play serious minutes until he can move ahead of three of the five (including Nazr) big men that are ahead of him. That won't happen this year. He also will probably never play center.

Bynum on the other hand could start for us tonight. He still has a ways to go to be a top notch player, but he has the skills along with youth, height and weight to do it. If you watched him play last year and this year you can see that he is a lot stronger this year and will put up some really good games against most centers in the league. He is still to inexperienced and not strong enough to handle someone like Yao and Shaq but he matches up pretty good against most of the other centers in the league as far as height, weight and strength goes and he has the skills to match.

No bailing involved here, just what seems to me to be a logical trade for our benefit.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

AJ for Bynum? no thanks. if we want a true center we can just play nazr...bynum isn't near nazr's level right now.
  18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The way Joe's made Amir untouchable should answer all trade possibilities questions.
  19. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Bynum can be a really good 5, but Amir can be a special 4 that can exploit length or power vs almost any player in the league and on switches can check 2 through 5, and can straight up matchup with 80% of the 3's and 5's in the league.

Give him 2 years and he'll look Dwight Howardesque. He's already a freaking monster compared to 2 years ago.

I can't belive I'm talking Amir up to the biggest Amir fanboy on Earth... :pound:

If joe doesn't get 1.50 on the dollar in a trade involving Amir, if he trades Amir, I will never watch another Pistons game.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just curious to see him play for real. He, Max, and Stuckey can really change the vibe of the team.