Amir Johnson - Sioux Falls Skyforce Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2007.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Here is the dope from NBA.com:

By the way, I actually think it's good for Amir to stay in the D-League. The opportunity to consistently dominate games, and get a taste for it, is important. He'll also get a chance to deal with teams actually game-planning for him - which sounds like something that's starting to happen down there.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

From today's Argus Leader:

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Would someone tell Blakely to get his out of his _ _ _.
    He's a 3 ! Not a 5 !
    Heck he's a 3,4,5 if the system is right.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So who is right? McHone or Blakely? :nerd2:

5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

On one side, you have a sportswriter in a distant city expressing irritation with fans who seem overly enthusiastic about a young player. On the other side, you have the coach of the player in question. Hmmm . . . tough call.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

maybe blakely was told to downplay his abilities in print o_O ... even mccoskey shorted amir 3 boards and didn't mention the 8 blocks/7 assists when he talked about his game in the paper

7. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The Skyforce lost to the Arkansas RimRockers tonight 123-120.

Amir: 41 minutes, 21 points (9-11 floor, 3-7 line), 11 boards, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 5 turnovers, 5 fouls

Will: 30 minutes, 9 points (3-7 field, 3-4 line), 9 assists, 5 boards, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers, 1 foul

boxscore

8. roscoe36

Well, ain't that the shaft.

I have been waiting all week to watch Amir play, and instead of the promised Sioux Falls game, I am watching Tulsa vs. Fort Worth.

That is why I want the Raptors to do well. So we get more and better coverage up here, because what we get right now is a bad joke.

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Skyforce defeat their next-state rivals, the Wizards, 119-117. Poor game for Amir, who fouled out with 8 points and 8 boards. Will Blalock starred, with lots of clutch shooting at the end for 25 points and 5 assists.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watched it. It was on at 3pm Eastern I believe, on NBA TV. This was the one where the Wizards beat us on a shot with just a few seconds left in the game. Amir looked great in the first quarter, getting 16. He ended up with, well I don't remember but it was in the 30's. 14 from 14 at the line looked pretty good. After the first quarter, you can imagine, Amir got a whole lot of attention from the other team. For the first half of the game, Nesbitt could score, and Amir, and everyone else missed every shot they took. By the stats, you would think Blalock had a horrid game, but he actually got the ball to one shooter after another for an open shot. Plus, he hit a jumper, then got a steal in the last moments to tie the game back up even though the game was lost in the end. Blalock was almost the hero.

I did not see Amir hit an outside shot. I missed the first few minutes so maybe he hit one then. What impressed me most is how easily he dribbles in all the way from the 3 line for a layup. This guy posts up on the 3 point line, pretty rare thing. Back in the summer league, I saw him routinely dribble in 5 or ten feet to improve his positon for a jumper, but this was way beyond that. He either made every shot or got to the line and made 2 free throws until about midway thru the 3rd quarter. Very impressive decision making. All that double and triple teaming and he never forced a thing.

11. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

This is good for Amir. Too bad they didn't send Darko down instead of sitting on the pine for two years. Maybe things would be a little different.

12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It could have been in his contract, especially as the #2 pick, that he couldn't have been sent down.

In any case, in the contract or not, you make an excellent point.

:hoops:

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I watched it too. Amir did hit a baseline jumper, which looked about free throw length.

My general impressions are:

He seems big in the shoulders and I'm not really sure if bulking up further is necessary. He's so damn quick and appears strong enough to get the job done.

His jumping ability is crazy.

His free throw form is great. Nice soft shot with perfect arc.

He is very aggressive on D with the shot blocking. I can imagine a lot of fouls at first in the big leagues before he learns how to go about it. In the D-League, it doesn't matter, because he is so physically superior that he gets away with it.

He seemed to have incredible footwork for his size and lack of experience. In traffic he avoided traveling and was good with the pump fakes, etc.

He is like Dupree X 2 with a lot more size and a better jumper.

If I were the Phoenix Suns... or any other fast paced team, I would probably take a monetary gamble and try to steal him.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Didn't see the game... this is confusince seeing
    Lee & Laniers reports being opposites... Tashawn kinda supports Lee with his perspective... Lanier has always been level and fair... so what's the real deal on Amir's game against the Wizz?

15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Different games. Lee was talking about the taped game on NBA TV, while I was talking about last night's game against the same team.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Willy B unbelieveable.

17. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

No, it wasn't in his contract. There was no D-league affiliate program in place for Darko's freshman and sophmore years; no way to send Darko down for minor league game experience while keeping him on the team for the season. I believe that Larry Brown lamented that very fact as something that hurt Darko relative to young players starting a year or two later.

I can't help but wonder how Darko would've done if that'd been an option. I feel like it could have made an enormous difference in his career, and he might even still be with us (as if we didn't have enough power forwards).

18. roscoe36

I'm not sure about that. Darko defers a lot. The D-league seems to be mostly about a lot of guys "getting theirs". There might have been a chance that he did terribly in the D-League.

Now, to put my opinion in perspective, I think that Darko is ridiculously far behind in his development. So far back, that what we see now might be what we will be seeing 3 years from now. I understand folks will argue the point with me, but that's my honest opinion and I'm not going to defend it.

Emeka Okafor, Marvin Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge. The last three #2 picks.

The D-League works for guys like AJ. Guys who just want to ball, and aren't concerned with outside shooting, or minutes or level of competition. They just want to dominate and have fun.

19. roscoe36

20. roscoe36

Attached is a very brief Amir Johnson interview from February 27th.

Attached Files: