Amir Johnson - Sioux Falls Skyforce Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Re: D-League Showcase

Nothing new to me. I saw it all when he played in the summer league the two summers ago. He was ready to play in this league already.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

His game really took off last year in Fayetteville. At 18 he was one of the best players in the development league.

I'm sure league scouts are aware of him and have been for some time. The question is, with so many teams near the tax level and those below needing to fill a lot of holes, the number of suitors for him could shrink.

The only issue I see is that his representation (agent) is part of one of the toughest groups in pro sports. They might seriously hunt around for dollars and playing time.

Ryan Hoover was an intern a few seasons back. Joe brought him on full-time when he graduated from college to be a mentor to the young players on the team. Things like how to save their money, manage their per diems, pay bills (like speeding tickets ;) ) and buy their first real possessions.

Ryan Hoover Internship story

From the Media Guide
  3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Very nice game from Amir today. It's the first time he's led his team in scoring.

recap

boxscore
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A mini recap of his game:
    On three occasions he led the fast break... no I don't mean he was the fastest down the court... he handled the ball all the way to the rack... He was dribbling in high gear... once deeking two gaurds and finishing.
    Now I'm not quite ready to say he has the typical SF handles but his handles have definitly improved.
    He made a nice quick dribble drive from the arc for a slam... it looked like the other team wasn't ready for that kinda quicknes from a 6' 11" cat.
    The stats say four blocks?... um not a chance... at least 5.... two on one possesion.
    Nice running hook shot.. that's gonna be tough to block.
    Of course this is not NBA competition... and he did have a little difficulty holding defensive position against a 6' 10 250LB PF (kinda pushed him out of the way).
    The one announcer said he played for Minny when KG came up as a rookie... he said Amir looks just like him at that time for skills and athletisism...
    he said several times that this must be easy for Amir after going up against Sheed and Maxiell everyday.
    On defense he was quick to recognize and react... that's the kind of cover man we need inside... reminded me of Sheed in 04.

Almost forgot the play that impressed me most... nobody scored but he faught hard for inside position... got the inlet pass... got double teamed... kicked it back to the PG... kept fighting... got the ball back... double teamed again... kicked it back out again...
    that my friends is court awareness and unselfishness.... can't wait to see him and Cwebb work on post play recognition together.

Just one game in the D-league... but encouraging non the less.
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

My guess is he signs elsewhere in the offseason... Someone is going to offer him a a good contract and PT, and he'll take it. Another blown youngster by the Pistons. If they've got the talent and they work hard, you've got to throw them a bone. Simple as that. Not just garbage time. Reward them by giving them 3-5 minutes here and there with the main group.

And judging by Maxiell's DNP-CD today, he might be heading down that path as well.
  6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

If Hakim Warrick can play power forward in the NBA this year, there's no reason Amir Johnson can't - especially with the Pistons' parabolic zone to protect him from being posted by bulkier players.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Cwebb is here for just this year then there's a chance of Maxiell and Amir still having a future here.
    Unfortunately I think the ultimate decision will come down to picking one or the other before they force the issue.
    Joe will have to move a PF this summer.
  8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If there's snow on the ground, that's a lovely drive. A little too brown if not.
  9. roscoe36

Thanks for the insight Merc. Really valuable.
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Here's a quote from the Skyforce coach in the Sioux Falls paper:

Also, a note from Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress:

Detroit isn't going to lose this kid. One, they hold his rights and can match. Two, any team in a situation to throw real money at an unproven 19-year-old can do it in the draft without anyone bidding against them. Joe is playing this exactly right, and Johnson is level-headed enough to make the best of things in the meantime.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nierfan, where you been hiding.
    Think CWebb can help?
  12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think AJ is TOO GOOD for the development league.

Awesome numbers in game #3 in only 26 minutes

23 points
    8 boards
    4 blocks
    3 steals

NBA Development League: ScoreBoard

:hoops:
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Hey, TFD -- ISP troubles have had me offline at home the past month or so. Plus they're laying off folks at my job so I'm spending more time "doing more with less."

I'm not high on Webber, because his game these days doesn't really help our weaknesses -- interior defense, energy, consistent effort. I'd rather let the young guys keep developing, especially since Chris hasn't always been a positive presence when facing reduced playing time. But we'll see what happens.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think CWebb will fit in here. Saunders only understands, ball through hoop. CWebbs pretty good at that.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Amir's stats tonight:

21.5 min
    14 pts
    5-8 shooting
    7 reb (3 offense)
    5 fouls
    2 Blks
    4-4 FT
    0 Assist
  16. lurker

He had three fouls early in the first half, before he had really done any scoring, but still managed to put up some decent numbers (except for the fouls and turnovers) in limited minutes.

boxscore
  17. lurker

From today's Detroit News:

He's having a productive stint, so he's coming back to sit on the bench with Maxiell? What's up with that?
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sounds like SkyForce will suck again.
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

"Amir Johnson is having a productive stint in the NBA Development League. Entering play Wednesday, Johnson was averaging 17 points and 7.7 rebounds through three games for the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Skyforce. He is expected to rejoin the Pistons on Sunday".

Translation:

A) We better get him back over on our bench before he cost too much...lol

or

B) We're making a move with one of our bigs to clear some room for some PT for Amir

take your pick
  20. roscoe36

I like your scenario "B" Merc.