1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Amir Johnson - Sioux Falls Skyforce Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Let me tell you what "inconsistant" in the NBA means. Look at Gerald Green and Adam Morrison. These guys are highly talented, but truly inconsistant, scoring 20 some nights, going O-fer on others. They are on really bad teams, who can afford to let them flounder. I'd say that Amir's probably about the same talent level as these guys at the moment, and would play the same way as these guys. Do we really want that on the court right now when we're trying to win a championship? I trust that Flip and Joe know whether he'll bring value to the team by being on the court. When he can do it consistantly, he'll play.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not really arguing that Amir is going to kick butt when we put him in there, but I'd like to see him have the chance.

If we put him in for real minutes and his inconsistency outweighs his contributions, then reconsider at that point. This is a team that started Will Blalock, Flip Murray, and Nazr Mohammed at different points this season. You think 10 minutes of Amir Johnson every other game or so is going to lose HCA for us? Maybe he'll perform better than JMax, who knows?

He was a monster in the pre-season, he's dominating the D-League, and he's only recieved 22 TOTAL minutes this year. You got Nazr saying that maybe Flip should give those GT minutes to someone who'll benefit from them, like Amir, instead of himself.

Why is there so much hesitation from the Pistons' organization to give young players on-court experience? Every employer I've ever worked for realizes that you have to put the newbies in real situations so that they can become effective... not because they already are. McDonald's even realizes that.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah that comment by Nazr was great. If there is one thing about Nazr, he stayed ready. A mess of DNP's and when he got back in...he was good to go. He wasn't a revelation or anything but he was productive. We should give Amir a few looks now and some end of the season games later.
    I'd rather not have Amir so untested going into next season.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Big difference. Morrison plays no D. As a small forward, Amir Johnson can play fine D, consistently. I doubt he would miss many shots either, but hey, he is a quick as the dickens 7 footer. How is that no going to help our defense?

5. MainManJoeD

Not trying to compare who is better. Similar talent level, different skills.

About his D, it has been pointed out that this could be his main weakness, because he doesn't have an NBA body yet. Probably block some shots, get some steals, but would get pushed off the court.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

why do people think you can't take a player out of the game??? if amir's shots aren't falling and somebody is burning him on defense take him out the game. i don't see why that is so hard. lindsey often comes in and just destroys runs on a regular basis yet he continues to play he's truly offensively inconsistent. we dont' need much from amir except maybe a dunk or two to get the crowd into the game.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is actually another side of this. What about the fans?

It is entertaining to see the youth play. The Palace is still running those pseudo sell-outs, right? Maybe a little Amir would help.

Is there anyone here who would not try sticking him in once in a while if you were the coach?

8. MainManJoeD

I'm assuming that Amir is getting his try-out against real NBA talent in practice, he's not performing consistantly, and that is what is "taking him out" of the game.

I would like to see him get some run in blow-outs. Not in the last 2 minutes, but in the middle of the game, when we're up 10-15. Let him run against real players. Problem is, the way our guys play, they rarely get big leads. And when they do they often have a hard time putting teams away.

9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

More early foul trouble for Amir in a Skyforce win tonight.

Amir: 28 minutes, 13 points (4-6 field, 5-7 line), 11 boards, 2 dimes, 2 blocks, 3 turns, 5 fouls

Will: 34 minutes, 15 points (5-14 field with 1 trey, 4-5 line), 11 dimes, 6 boards, 1 steal, 1 turn, 4 fouls

boxscore

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you played him as a power forward. But he is quick enough to play small forward.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good to see WillB put up some numbers.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Both Joe D & Flip said that Amir is a PF... for whatever the reason we have to go under that assumption.
    It's possible that they want to take a harder look at Maxiell first to see if he fits the long term plans... one thing I'm sure of is that something will be done this summer to reduce the logjam at PF.
    I'm hoping we can lock up the East #1 seed early and give the kids some serious burn.

13. lurker

Nice game from Amir tonight in a one-point loss to the mighty Colorado 14ers.

Amir: 39 Minutes, 20 points (7-15 floor, 6-10 line), 10 boards, 5 blocks, 1 dime, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 4 fouls

Will: 31 minutes, 1 point (0-6 floor, 1-2 line), 8 dimes, 4 boards, 1 steal, 3 turnovers, 3 fouls

boxscore

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

15. lurker

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lol.

Even Amir would have gotten 15 minutes against GSW last night. Bring him back!

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

It doesn't include anything about Amir, but Rod Benson of the Dakota team has a funny new blog entry. Favorite part: "Mateen was shooting free throws. I swear we have some of the funniest fans in the league (maybe the cold air makes the brain wittier) because one of them says to Mateen: 'Mateen, isn’t there an age limit in the D-League? Does David Stern know about this?!' I was on the bench with 4 fouls at the time so I was just dying laughing."

18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It looks like AJ would be about 12th in scoring and 4th in rebounds per game in the league if he had enough games to qualify.

He would also be 2nd in the league behind J. Hodge who is averaging 14.4 BPG? Is that possible. That must be an error.

NBA Development League: Regular Season Statistics

:hoops:

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14.4! As Manute used to say, they must not have TV out in the D-league. Even 4.4 is pretty amazing.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well apparently he had a monster game Dec. 3rd against the Stampede.

NBA Development League: Julius Hodge Game By Game Stats

In 20 minutes, he had 27 assists, 28 steals and 154 blocks. That's 7.7 blocks per minute, which would be impossible to attain as a Piston because our pace doesn't allow for more than 2 possessions a minute.

I can't believe Hodge is not playing in the NBA. He could be the next Jason Kidd.