Amir Johnson to DLeague today

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

PISTONS: On-the-Job Training

Johnson left town Monday afternoon en route to Sioux Falls, S.D., where he’s on an open-ended assignment with the NBDL’s Skyforce.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: AMir to DLeague today

Good catch Slippy... hopefully one of these games will be on NBATV... they already showed two Sioux Falls games.... Go Amir make us proud (and come back confident)

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems like with the Pistons still having an open slot and two players on the shelf with Hunter and CB, that Joe would have delayed sending him down there until at least CB came back. Yeah I know that he doesn't play guard, but with the Flu bug, the higher than normal rash of injuries this year and the overzealous officials ready to send a frustrated players to the showers early, you should keep all of your "warm" bodies on the big league roster.

But alas, he can get plenty of PT in those six games with the Skyforce and comeback here in a couple weeks and possibly be ready to provide some second half adrenaline that this team needs. Go get 'em AJ:cheerleader:

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think it says a lot about the maturity of Blalock and Maxiell that they would send Amir to Sioux Falls (most likely) with Director of Player Development (read: nanny) Ryan Hoover.

5. max

max All-Star

I don't know. Little dissapointed by the whole thing. There is just no way Amir is ever going to get off the bench for Saunders.

If any team shows any interest at all in him this summer then a couple of years from now we could be watching yet another ex-Piston have great games against us.

At least we still have McDyess and Mohammed.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I reported it hours ago. You should try reading a real board. LOL.

I hate to see him sent down. I would much rather see him just play for us. However, I am going to keep an open mind and believe in Joe Dumars ability to make good decisions. We know Amir will play plenty in these 6 games. (Reported that they are shy players and Sky Force asked for him) Just maybe this will be used to get Amir in tune with basketball in general and then we will see him play.

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

This is the league that he shot 70% from the field in?

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Amir will be replacing Andre Brown who was called up by the Sonics on Friday. Mr. Brown was leading the Skyforce in blocks and rebounds, averaging near 20 and 10 and putting up a two week average of 29.6 and 13.7 (points and rebounds, respectively). Andre was also the number two rebounder in the entire NBDL.

Although I would rather see Amir get his shot with the big boys, he will be stepping into lots of playing time at the 4 spot as the Skyforce will use Amir to replace Brown.

In a side note, I saw Mr. Brown in his debut with the Sonics. He put up 8 points in 8 minutes against the Knicks and grabbed 4 boards. So it would seem they do get some "real" training in the minors.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This real board beat the Freep Press to the scoop that Mahone (Sioux Falls) was trying to get Joe to send Amir down 3 days ago.
    But please feel free to spend all your time on that real piece of... er board.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE?

:inlove:

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Another player just called up Kelenna Azubuike looks good for the Warriors also... we could use someone like him as our backup SG (Delfino @ SF)....
    Your point is well taken... the D-League can still help with development if you have the right staff.
    Our lil secret (Amir) might be outta the bag soon.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Kelenna Azubuike is a Kentucky product. I didn't get to see him play very much but my sister really liked his game. She was very frustrated by his inconsistency, though.

The D league could be a really great resource for developing talent. I have been trying to find out how much input the NBA teams have in the selection of coaches and trainers, but couldn't find much information. It seems (if I understand correctly) that the D league teams are quite independent of the Big Boys. I.E. Davidson and Wilson don't really have any say in the team, except which players they want to send down and when.

The Pistons and Timberwolves team is located in Sioux Falls, other teams are located in Tulsa, Albuquerque, and Boise. It's not easy to scout your talent when they are located in South Dakota and you are in Southeastern Michigan.

The Lakers and Clippers D league affiliate is in Los Angeles, The Kings team is in Bakersfield, and the Mavericks team is in Fort Worth. Does this give them an advantage in developing thier talent? Can the young Mav's rooks work out with the Mavericks staff and team, and then gain experience playing for the farm club?

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we are sending him down there on a covert mission to find a cheap point guard.

14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

This is sort of interesting.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've read enough. Let's sign him up.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I only go over there if I am real bored.:bored:

It's literally been months since I checked over there. Nice to hear it's still around. Please send my regards to Buckwheat, Diva, the Frank Oz creations, and all the other scholars who made the bored what it is today.

On Amir, I can't wait to see him play for the Pistons regularly. I hope the D league move helps expedite the process.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I had to replay your post a few times to get all the nuances. You're a cool guy.

18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, he was good in college but also sort of inconsistent. He was big and strong enough to get his shots in the lane, but not always reliable from the perimeter. But he might be a serviceable backup in the NBA, if he gets enough of a chance.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee Merc, this board right here is where I posted it. Just a different thread.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor