Amir Johnson?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 14, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

Amir - True he was coming along on schedule earlier which is something we cannot say about Darko. It has to be the coaching.

I was 100% behind the Curry hire as well. He fit all the criteria of what a head coach should be. Time to admit we were all wrong and move on. Of course its all up to Dumars.
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

You must have a mouse in your pocket...:nod:
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He was?
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Any chance Lee or Lpg run a team?
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

If you post up on the left or right block you are outside of the paint. The stats are misleading.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

LOL, I'm open to any NBA owner that wants to give me their team.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what happens if he lands elsewhere.
  7. max

max All-Star

Since our high water mark of the season at 22-12 after the 7 game winning streak we have been 17-31. 17-31 extrapolated is a 29-53 season. This is the loss ratio that we have been watching since then. If it seems like there have been twice as many losses as wins - there nearly has been. Its been a rough 2nd half of the season and the most brutal finish since probably sometime back in the 90's.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If someone gives you a team, can I coach it?
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a big if.
  10. max

max All-Star

You can but you have to sign a written agreement to play Walter Herman every game - he has a lot of friends.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

That would be entertaining.

If you could pick a current NBA coach that you think best emulates your coaching philosophy...who would it be?
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Phil Jackson.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I did not make up that stat. Sheed attempts about 1 shot in the paint per game and he actually makes a shot in the paint about once every 2 games. It's pathetic. The dude takes 89% jump shots. 44% of his shots are 3-pointers. And to highlight his lazy offensive game, keep in mind that he barely snuck over the 100 mark for free throw attempts on the year with 101. He actually made 78 free throws (compared to 245 in his heyday). As I highlighted earlier in the year, Sheed could have become the first player since Manut Bol to block over 100 shots and attempt less than 100 free throws. He fell short on the blocks and barely cleared the free throw hurdle.

So, to summarize, our starting center makes 1 shot in the paint every 2 games and makes about 1 free throw per game.

And the criticism is that Amir needs to practice his jumpshot???
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No problem. He can get the last second of the 7th quarter.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Why him?
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Last year, it was pointed out that JMAX and Dyess was our worst pairing of bigs. This year, that pairing is at 37%. The scary thing, it was used a ton this year, with Curry sending this pair out there 45 times. Curry does not learn. He does not look at stats.

Before we assume JMAX is such a poor choice for a player, look at what happens when he is paired with better defenders. Brown 51%. Afflalo and Amir, 49%.

As muddled as our rotation has been, with none of JMAX, Amir, Afflalo, nor Kwame getting regular roles thruout the season, and this continued experiment of using Herrmann as an NBA player, its a wonder any of them show anything on the stats.

To avoid me having to switch threads, this could have been our bench all season long:

Bynum, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX, Kwame. But we would have still lost game after game with Dyess and Sheed paired to end games, where they consistently lose.

As a matter of fact, with Curry as a coach, having Dyess around just lets him find a way to lose games.

We should have did this, from the Billups trade on:

1) Release AI. It all turned out to be a farce anyway as far as him fitting with the team. There were rumors that he was injured before he got here, and nothing has dispelled those rumors, at least in my mind. (I am talking about fan observations, fans claiming AI was no long really AI, with whatever injury he is hiding.

2) Start Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

3) Bench is Bynum, Afflalo, Mejia, JMAX, Kwame.

4)Dyess is the 11th man, brought in for foul trouble with our centers, and to add outside shooting if we need it.

5) Sharpe is the 12th guy, playing some power forward when Amir and JMAX are fouling too much.

For those who want to say something about Mejia not being on the team. Hey, look at what we got. Herrmann. Mejia is one heck of a defender. And he loves to bust it inside anytime he gets the chance. (not good at finishing actually, but he does draw fouls.)
  17. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Herrmann was another story of political correctness.
    Deeply believe that Pistons signed played Herrmann jsut to play good will to Stern as well as all non-American players that we were loyal to global policy like what we drafted Darko for. In this league there always are many things occurred behind the scenes and no one will tell.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

O.k., a PR release might sound like that.

But of course, just because Sheed is doing all those things doesn't make Amir a post player. He still has no post game, no back to the basket moves, no way to score other than boards and tips (and that weird Wilkesian jump shot).

Which is in no way meant to diminish scoring from boards and tips, just saying that doesn't make you a post player.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My point is just this... Sheed is considered a good post player. But he rarely scores from the post or the paint. Amir creates his own PIP in a way that is incredibly efficient for the team. Instead of being the first and only option on a possession and then either making or missing, Amir converts others misses into points. And he collects this garbage at such a high rate that his gross points in the paint dwarfs Sheeds, despite the huge minutes disparity.

If Amir had a true traditional post game, that would be nice. But we don't really need it. Why not just call a play for Sheed instead and force him to the block? Then Amir is available to get the miss.

If Amir had a Dyess-like jump shot, that would also be nice. But why not have Rip, Tay, Sheed, or someone else do that and have Amir scrapping to get the miss?

At this stage, Amir is a spectacular offensive garbage man and could be a true weapon on the break. All the things that he is missing would need to be developed and may never come to fruition. If he did develop those things, he'd probably be a $15M/year player and we wouldn't sign him anyway.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Sure; as long as i get input LOL