Amir Johnson?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:
    Dude, you good. :-)
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is good, but you also left out all the SF's that overpower him. He needs to do a better job on jump balls against midgets. He should improve his on the ball D too.
  3. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Great post. He has to improve on all of these things. When he lost that jumpball to Nate, I could've slapped him five ways across his face.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

With a great first step + excellent hops + 6" more height, I could be Jerry Stackhouse.

I'm starting my 48 second shot clock campaign today.

This statement is ridiculous. How may times will Amir really have to face little Nate in a jump ball situation. Now you are just picking on the poor millionaire kid.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With giant hands + a foreign accent + long locks of hair, I could be Walter Herrmann.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Hmm... I got giant hands. I got foreign accent and I got long locks of hair.

Ok, it's about time I admit that I am that Walter. My cover's been blown. It's like a Hannah Montana thing, only less masculine.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, if we're blowing covers, I guess I should reveal that Darth Tater is actually Miley Cyrus.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Wood I thought you said you are 6'5" ?
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

No way, man. I just hit 6' with my shoes on. I should get one of those Amir Johnson measuring tapes, then I could be anywhere from 5'11" to 6'3".
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You said, in here, you are 6'5" and that they called you IcePick.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

IcePick, because I'm made of steel, and my elbows are sharp. But I'm not 6'5"
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This is pretty cut and dry to me. I don't dislike Amir, but I look at it this way....

If 4 years in, we're still all having to fight like cats and dog about whether he should be playing, then he's not good enough. Period.

This argument should have settled itself 2 years ago by this kid being good enough to push someone out of their playing time. Instead, he was handed the job, failed, and still afforded a full season of time to figure it out and we're still debating it. It's not debatable anymore. He's just not that good.

We have to be the only team/fan base in existence that repeatedly has 5 year windows to find out if a guy pans out. Good players don't need half their careers to figure out if they can play the game and neither should we.

Stuckey got handed the keys after half a playoff series and Amir gets a decade to put the round peg in the little round hole...c'mon!
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Low, during this season, our best player was benched (Rip), and we flat out released a first ballot hall of famer because he made us worse. We argue about the worth of all our players.

Amir was arguably our most effective player this year in a number of categories... including the most important one, point differential.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

RIP = team's leading scorer = tangible

Amir = great team point differential (not attributable to a single player) = intangible

That's the difference to me. The arguments about Amir typically have to do with nothing singularly attributable to his performance or statistics, but rather are always linked with some team dynamic that in no way can be solely linked to the existence of Amir Johnson or any other single player. He's had no demonstrable effect on the court that is visible, game changing, and/or undeniable. Hence his continued run of play 3 games, get 3 DNP's.

Many if not all good players do something that you CANNOT ARGUE about. With Amir it's all about quadratic equations and periodic tables to figure out this guy's effect when he plays.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Well said Low!

Now if we can just get the AJHOFers to decide whether he HAS panned out yet or not we'd be in bidness.
  17. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Well said. This about sums up my feelings on Amir as well.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Stuck was given the keys and he crashed didn't he ?
    He started out ok but became 2 dimemsional. And predictable.
    I say keep him and play him at C.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is the first post I have read in this thread as I figured the rest just consisted of a pros and cons Amir Lovefest. Bottomline, the kid should have went to college and got some fundamentals there or should have stayed in the D league the first two years and played 15 mins a game last year under Flip to proved that he belonged. Since none of those three things occurred, can we just stick a fork in him and regulate him to what he was: a last pick in the draft miracle who is still tolling away on an NBA team 4 years later...

Curry will not play him in the post season unless Sheed gets thrown out and Max and Kwame have 5 fouls a piece. So lets just let this 4-5 game series play out and release or trade him to a team that wants to play him every game next year...I am sure he could get all the playing time he needs in Europe:stirthepot:.....
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The perfect scenario:

We have a player who is incredibly effective
    No other teams realize it because they have to do math to figure it out.
    We get to keep that player long term and pay him much less b/c of it.

It's just bball's version of moneyball.

But if you want tangible stats that are attributed directly to the player in question, then I offer you these:

Field Goal %. No funny stuff here. Doesn't factor in 3-pointers or free throws or anything else. Amir Johnson is 1st on the team with a .595. Almost .600 for crying out loud. This puts Amir at #3 in the entire NBA behind only Shaq (.609) and Nene (.605). Amir is 22 bp's ahead of Dwight Howard.

Effective FG %. Funny stuff. When you account for other player's 3-point shooting, etc., Amir still leads the team.

Total Shooting %. More funny stuff. Gives players the benefits of free throws and 3-point effect. Amir still leads the team.

Offensive Rebounds/ 36 minutes- Amir is #2 on the team, barely behind Maxiell. Amir and Maxiell are both in the top 5 in the league in offensive rebound %, behind Kevin Love, Joakim Noah, and Howard.

Total Rebounding/ 36 minutes- Amir is #3 on the team, behind McDyess and Kwame Brown.

Blocks/ 36 minutes- Amir is #1 on the team with 2.4. The next closest is Maxiell with 1.6. Amir blocks shots at a rate 50% greater than the next closest player on the team. Amir is #6 in the NBA in this category behind Birdman, Turiaf, Howard, Dalembert, and Perkins.

Usage- (the % of plays where a team includes the player in the play... i.e. passes him the ball and he shoots it). Amir is dead last on the team at 11%.

So, in summary, our least utilized player on offense is our most efficient offense player... with fg% off the charts, only a couple spots away from Shaq. This same player is also one of the biggest shot blockers and offensive rebounders in the entire NBA. Even though he is an offensive rebounding terror, he is still our 3rd best overall rebounder.

But as the intangible stats tell you (and as Joe Dumars and Michael Curry tell you), Amir does not show up in the box score. He affects the game through hustle, help defense, and by keeping possessions alive.

The fans of Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace should realize that there can be room for a guy, even if he doesn't have a jump shot or post moves.