Amir Takes Less Money To Sign With Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 13, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What an honorable and noble thing to do especially in this day and age where most young players think about only the money.

However, as Mlive reports, AJ turned down another cool million offer to play with the Spurs. The Spurs were offering 11 million.

AJ will definitely be a franchise player for years to come.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I thought Pistons gave him close to $11 mil. Am I wrong?
  3. max

max All-Star

According to the latest it is 10.8 over 3 years.
  4. armygirl

I stand corrected. The Pistons are paying him 11 mil, the article did not say how much SanAn were offering, however, it was more than what the pistons offered.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least he was loyal, but if it were me and the $$ difference were that close, I think I would have rather have played for Pop than Flip. Thanks AJ for being loyal to Joe and the pistons fans...:thumb[1]:
  6. mikhail1973

I think also him being restricted could've played a role. Why stir up the pot knowing that Pistons would match if he could come in as a loyal player.
    I have to agree, so far the kid has said and done all the right things. Lets hope it continues.
  7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Amir is looking at the big picture. How long is Sheed going to be in the starting line up for the Pistons? Sheed has maybe another year maybe two at the most starting for Pistons before he is either traded or is coming off the bench.

How long do you think Tim Duncan is going to be starting? Duncan is younger and looks to be in better shape. He has a good 5 or 6 more good years in him starting.

This was not that tough of a choice considering these facts.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He was a RFA, he didn't take less money to stay in Det. Joew made it clear that he was matching ALL offers across the league, unless Orlando got into the fray. So it's impossible for Amir to TAKE less money. He did probably tell his agent not to haggle over nickle and dime stuff and to get a deal done.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's the point. He did take less money. As an RFA, if SA was offering him more $, he could have signed the offer sheet and a) gone to SA for the higher pay cheque or b) Joe would have been forced to match the SA offer if he wanted to keep AJ. Either way, he could have got more money by signing an offer sheet.

That means something to me in this day and age.
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Are we sure that the Spurs were trying to sign him to an offer sheet that was bigger than the contract he signed for? Nobody's linked to any reporting on that in this thread.
  11. mikhail1973

MySA.com: MySanAntonio.com: Spurs
  12. armygirl

Also an article at Mlive.
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Could someone please find out what this mysterious amount that San Antonio was going to offer to AJ and please post it. I am sure that we would all be curious as to what this mysterious amount is.

By the way you can reach the author of the original comment [SIZE=-1]Johnny Ludden at [/SIZE]jludden@express-news.net.

It will be interesting to see what he says the amount was assuming that he even knows what it was, which I doubt, otherwise he would have included it in his article.

Here is the quote from his article.
    MySA.com: MySanAntonio.com: Spurs

I am not sure why the Spurs would have extended an offer sheet to AJ, because they had to know that unless it was something ridiculous like $25 million or more, Joe D. would have matched it. I doubt seriously the Spurs would have offered that kind of money to AJ at this point in time.

It would probably take them over the cap?

What I think happened is that the Spurs were thinking of offering AJ their MLE, which is more per year, but for only one or possibly two years. So that the annual amount was for more but the length of the contract was less than the Pistons offered and the total amount was not more than the Pistons offered.

They were hoping that that Pistons wouldn't offer more than 2 years to AJ given that he is really unproven at this point as far as his ability to succeed in the NBA, but in the end the Pistons offer exceeded the Spurs offer in total dollars over the life of the contract, or at least matched it.

:hoops:
  14. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I'm ordering my Amir jersey tomorrow.
  15. buddahfan

Maybe you could get him to autograph it. Now that would be wicked!!

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will autograph it. :D

[​IMG]
  17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

The Spurs contract had to be for more years. It's the only thing that makes sense. And if you are Amir, and think you're about to be the next big thing, you would want the shortest contract possible.

If it's for the same length, you sign the deal, knowing Joe will match and you get more money. Nobody leaves money on the table.

And if he did, you have to wonder about his competitive instincts.
  18. buddahfan

Spurs are way over the salary cap. That means iw would cost the Spurs double what ever they paid AJ. If it was for more years and more money I seriously doubt that the Spurs would spend that kind of money on a guy with only 11 games NBA experience, no matter how good we may think he would become

Spurs 2007-2008 Salary total $68 million before signing Oberto for $3.5 million a year for 3 years.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - San Antonio Spurs

19. barold

barold Second Round Draft Pick

I would be surprised if the Spurs really did offer him that much more money over the same amount of years as the Pistons did. I was just reading this article ESPN - TrueHoop which goes into detail talking about how San Antonio wanted to try very hard to get under the cap. They made deals to lose the contracts of Jackie Butler and Luis Scola (who was a decently well regarded European prospect not to long ago) and appear to try to get under the cap. I'm curious to see if someone can get a confirmation on the exact # and years of SA's offer, because I could see them using their MLE which could have more money but for less years.
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

One word comes to mind. Lucky.

We are extremely fortunate that our past mistakes didn't cost us another stellar prospect. Thanks Amir!!!!!!