Amir Takes Less Money To Sign With Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 13, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think we have done a heck of a lot more correctly than wrongly since Joe D. has been in charge and certainly a lot better than every other team over the last 5 years except for San Antonio.

:hoops:
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Oh, I certainly agree with that assesment. How could I not? The proof is in the success rate. It just does not apply to our history with young talent. Amir's sigining is exceptionally remarkable considering San Antonio was a suiter. This is a nice victory for Joe and the organization.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'd have to disagree on this. Look at Chauncey changing teams like gloves before finding home and turning into pretty darn good player, look at Rip. Joe drafted Tay, he drafted Maxiell, he drafted Memo. This is pretty darn good record. Look at the draft NBA history, it's a crap shoot. You're not going to hit the jackpot every time. Which of Joe's picks that left organization, except for Memo (who got lots of money that we couldn't afford at the time) turn into at least a solid player?
  4. mikhail1973

:p_welldone::cheerlie-GOAL::dance:
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think Motown is talking only about the draft. The moves to get Ben and Chauncey were involved in trading and signing free agents.

Good Drafts: Tay, Maxiell, Memo

Okay Drafts: Acker, Paulding

Bad Drafts: Cleaves, White, Darko

Could be good: Afflalo, Stuckey, Amir

Joe is average or a little above average in this category. He is a great GM, but not the greatest drafter. I think his mistake in drafting Darko has changed his philosophy and the Pistons will have 4 draft picks after Darko (J Max, Amir, Afflalo, Stuckey) contribute next season.
  6. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

I think he's learning. The draft is such a crap shoot that you have to attack it strategically. That doesn't mean you don't take chances, but when it counts, you go for the guys with talent, character and a track record of more than dodging bullets in a war torn country.

I'm happy with Joe's draft record. Could it be better? Probably, but it falls well into the better than average column. I think you get more credit for your hits than your misses, and Joe's had some good hits.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Acker and Paulding either belong in the "bad" or "could be good" category. Neither has done anything yet.
  8. MotownPride

Yep. Thanks Himat. I think its fairly obvious that Joe has struggled in the draft for a while especially as it pertains to high draft picks. And although I am definitely not a Darko fan (see pages upon pages of debates with bballjay), the mishandling of his development here surely requires attention. The draft and youth development have been the few sore spots on Joe's record. Last year finally ended an emerging trend of young players not getting any burn during the regular season. Funny how one year erases a ton of questions in some peoples minds. We truely live in a what have you done for me lately society. Last year on ESPN.com I believe there was a rating done of all of the team's drafting records for the past 5 years or so I think and Joe's was amongst the worst. So, I'm definitely not standing by myself on an island with this opinion. That said, Joe is still one of the best GMs in the league since he took over the Pistons and I am more than happy with the job he's done. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How can anyone fault Joe on his drafting apart from the Darko pick? How many high picks has he had? You draft anyone from the 2nd round and they are still on an NBA roster 3 years later, that's a good pick!
  10. MotownPride

Weren't Cleaves, White and Darko all fairly high picks?
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

damn man, those guys were picked in the 50's what would we expect. I think anyone who makes the team at that range is is 'good'. Seeing Acker's foreign league successes...'okay' is a decent assessment of that pick.

There were huge opportunity costs with White and Milicic. I think with Cleaves IIRC, there wasn't much else.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Acker was the last pick right? I remember people talking about him coming back year to be on this roster. I would not call that bad.

You are right with Paulding, but he was picked late too.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It sucks for Joe, but even though he has made very good picks recently the Darko draft leaves a scar. The names after Darko have turned out so damn good compared to him.

J Max: He is showing he can help this team

Amir: At #56 99% chance this is a steal

Stuckey: So far it looks like he can help a top backcourt in the league next season.

Afflalo: Can play D and score.

He is improving though.
  14. buddahfan

Except for Darko, Hot Rod was has been the Pistons only pick as low as #15 i.e; lottery pick since Rodney White taken #9 in 2001. White was also a big mistake. But in all fairness to Joe D., White was either the first player that Joe D. drafted as President of Pistons Basketball Operations or was taken in Joe D's second draft. It is not like Joe D had had a lot of experience at this kind of thing since he retired from active playing only two years prior to drafting White.

So yes we could definitely say that when Joe D. has had the opportunity to draft a top pick he has faltered. That is for sure.

On the other hand when you have a winning team comprised of veterans and you don't get top draft picks it is kind of hard to be expected to develop young talent.

Darko was a mistake, just like White and we definitely messed up in drafting him, regardless of how the Hot Rod pick turns out. How much of that was due to his attitude, Brown's attitude or whatever we can argue until the cows come home.

Yes every once and a while a team finds and cultivates a gem from the bottom half of the first round or second round (like Prince, JMax, AJ and possibly Afflalo) but those are fairly rare occurrences. So I think we have to give Joe D. some credit (a lot more will be known after this year), on being able to find and develop some very good players with relatively low draft picks, notwithstanding the Darko and White screw ups.

15. mikhail1973

You can throw Cleaves in there too. He was a popular choice, but non the less.
  16. buddahfan

I agree with you to the extent that I think Joe D. did draft Cleaves.

1. Because he was a popular choice
    2. Because Joe D. was looking for a point guard and Mateen had been very successful at the college level.

I had actually forgotten that Mateen was drafted #14.

But Mateen was Joe's first pick? and I think he probably bowed to some pressure because of Mateen's popularity that he wouldn't bow to today.

17. MotownPride

So three high picks that have all pretty much turned out underwhelming. I'm optimistic that the trend will finally end with Stuckey, though. I think Joe has learned from his previous mistakes. Honestly, I'm just estactic we won't be seeing Amir in a San Antonio uniform. That would have definitely been some tough medicine to swallow.
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh My God. You can say that again. Another gazillion times. I would have been distraught watching the Dastardly Spurs win another Ship with Amir on their squad. Yikes. It's a miracle of good over...dastardliness...that he is still a DEETROIT PISTON. I really like the way our Bench Behind the Best Starting Four is coming together. Now....please Flip...let the stallions out of paddock early in the season and play....play....play...let's see what they got.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

maybe the kid has the loyalty gene. You know he could have gone undrafted. The Pistons groomed him and offered a decent deal once that period was over. All of this is more endearing to see as a fan.
  20. buddahfan

They even gave the So CA kid his first real exposure to a cold snowy winter this last year playing him in Sioux Falls though most of his time there was more in the spring than in the dead of winter.

Now the question is: Has he learned to drive a car on icy roads?

This scares me for the kid, to tell you the truth and I am being serious.

Darko at least came from a country with snow and ice in the winter so he knew how to drive on ice, but I doubt that AJ does.

Maybe that will be one of Curry's duties this year. To teach AJ how to drive in MI in the winter.