Amir traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by The Palace Artest, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

I'm not holding my breath. Joe might have reasonably just traded him for nothing just to trade Amir for nothing.

Auburn Hills just had its biggest corporation go bankrupt, not to mention the city of detroit. That alone puts the organization in a rough spot financially, and I imagine the owners may financial troubles as well due to the credit crunch, or just to the way the inheritances were doled out when Bill D. passed away.

Either way, Joe D needs as much cap as he can get and he can't afford to waste the cap space he has waiting for "projects" to pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even approach the cap, at least not until after the draft shakes out.

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Same with Darko.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this makes me sad; I remember all the praise for AJ, his great potential and so on. Now he got send away for NOTHING in return and I simply don't get it. Yes, he does have issues. Yes, he's far from being a legit big man. But this team needs youth and AJ is youth. He's still young. He can still prove that he can at least be a solid 10ppg/7rpg/1.5 bpg player that Oberto never was and never will be. Cap space may sound nice but was his contract that big? Is anyone of the highly praised FA class of '10 honestly considering join a franchise that somehow seems to be a sinking ship?

4. max

max All-Star

We will be alright. Just puts that much more of a challenge on the rest of the team to make up those 3.5 PPG.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

ALRIGHT!! I've been waiting for this day all season! Now Walter "Bubba Chuck II" Sharpe can get all of Amir's playing time he deserved to get all season!

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or the team leader...Cap'n Space

7. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

Not to mention those 2.8 personal fouls per game.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Ever watch Amir play? Occasionally exciting dunks & blocks, but he couldn't work his way out of a restroom without fouling someone.

9. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I really do hope a blockbuster trade is in the works :MusicBigGrin: My money is on Chris Bosh aswell. If we trade for Chris Bosh, and draft James Johnson / Earl Clark, I'll be happy.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

With numerous draft-day trades in the offing, the Spurs and the Bucks have initiated the process by making an incredibly lopsided exchange. Richard Jefferson is reportedly going to San Antonio for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto.

What the Spurs gain and lose

Jefferson is a versatile small forward who can also log some time against carefully selected opponents at power forward. Wherever he plays, R.J. is always competitive — he's a runner and a slasher who moves well without the ball and is excellent in transition. He's a dependable standing 3-point shooter who has a quick shot release on his jumpers, an excellent first step, a nifty left-to-right crossover, and an effective step-back move. In the low post, he'll look for turnaround jumpers over either shoulder. He can also rebound, jump and play excellent defense.
    In other words, Jefferson has All-Star caliber talent. His only negatives are his occasional arrogance and selfishness — traits that will vanish under Coach Pop's firm hand.

11. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Hope Bryan Colangelo (Toronto) doesn't ask for our entire core of Hamilton, Tayshaun and Stuckey like Danny Ainge did..I would be content with giving a decent package revolving around one of those guys for Bosh.. Let's face it Toronto has a lot of options..who doesn't want Bosh?

12. blackhawk

13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Which "tweet" specifically?

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not odd.

Pistons stopped making promises.

I'm outta here!

Don't count on it.

15. blackhawk

Oberto can be either a bargaining chip or salary dump..Oberto has a partially guaranteed salary. This means that if he is waived by July 1, teams only have to pay him $1.9 of his $3.8 million contract. In other words, there is a strong chance that he’ll either be traded or waived by July 1.

16. blackhawk

Is he talking about the Pistons or being traded in any of the tweets?

Thanks!

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It will be a challenge as we are still looking for someone to replace CB's production, not to mention everyone else's w/ an actual PG and now Sheed's producion.

If Joe D is counting on overpaying Boozer/Gordon and going forward, i'm going to close my eyes.

edited to add;

It is odd that Hammond seems to be willing to give Amir a shot (granted at very little risk) and Joe all of a sudden doesn't care; gives more credence IMO to this being something his agent asked for. We all know how accomodating Joe is to trade requests.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He didn't get sent away for nothing. He got out for cap space. Joe wouldn't have traded Amir within the division if he thought he was the next KG.

I know cap space doesn't dunk, it doesn't look cute running up and down the court, and cap space doesn't hit a 3 pointer from half court.

But cap space can make all of those things happen.

Amir was just another warm body with promise. Joe can find another Amir for a minimum contract and no expectations of minutes, almost anywhere.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps he is setting up for some half-court shots at this very moment on the hard courts of Flint...

20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I will miss Amir but not all the hype about his potential. Its all about cap space and money. We will find out soon what the real value of the billups trade was.