Amir traded?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by The Palace Artest, Jun 23, 2009.

1. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Well considering a year ago Amir was supposed to be our "next big thing" (which obviously, hasn't played out, but is not entirely his fault), just to move him for Fabricio Oberto, which I understand why Joe D is doing so (load up on cap space), but Amir was supposed to be the "package guy", one of our bargaining chips we threw into a 'big deal', and Joe D has let him go for nothing, which is why I thought it was a little bit odd.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Among fans. I'm pretty sure the real "next big thing" was Stuckey.

All Joe did, is trade Amir in for his salary. Apparently Amir's empty salary slot had more value than his talent, or do people think that buying out Oberto's salary was the best Joe could do?

No one wants a $3.7 million dollar expiring contract who wants minutes. A guy like that has no leverage, and he is trying to exercise leverage.

That's the reality about Amir's situation. No one wanted him. So Joe figured he would be better off with a couple mill in cap room (than an untradable asset), and maybe some positive vibes with his agent.

Gotta give Joe credit for making lemonade out of lemons.

3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Looks like JD is going to keep Maxiel and Sleepy.
    Good bye Amir, take care and best wishes.
    Hopefully he's getting PT now, sad to say that there were no one here to teach him anything in a span of 3 years while coaches looked like they were intriguing for thier own share.

4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

why is everyone all of the sudden so optimistic about bosh!?

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think you just created a new nickname for Amir. :stooges:

6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Doesn't make much sense. It doesn't clear all that much more money, and someone said need4sheed just tweeted that Oberto will be waived. This is a salary dump. I was hoping to package Amir to at least get SOMETHING in return. The last time we got anything good out of a trade was when we traded Darko and Arroyo for what was essentially the pick that turned into Stuckey. Lends credence to the rumor that Amir's agent asked for a trade. I think he knew, with Maxiell's horrendous extension that AJ probably wasn't going to be in a much better situation next year.

P.S - the trade looks pretty good for San Antonio though.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't buy that there was no interest in Amir beyond this, and a better deal could have been found. I also don't think trading him for a minnimal amount of money makes any sense either. I'm leaning twards Amir wanted to be traded, Joe traded him.

Everytim e in the past few years that Joe makes a dumb move, everybody swears it's leading up to some blockbuster deal when in reality we'll sign another Nazr Mohammed or better yet Charlie Villanueva.

8. max

max All-Star

I would rather they had kept Amir just to see how he turns out. But lets be real - he is a long shot at best.

9. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Just like when we dumped CB's salary (or even worse, when I started the thread "Mr Big Ego has to go"), everyone is up in arms, and then after several weeks/months, the status quo will reverse, and everyone will be like, yeah, it was what needed to be done... It's called front running.

Good to see some around here are keeping the faith (e.g., 'Scoe and AG).

I'd much rather see Joe dump salary and take some chances on trades where we absorb salaries, or sign FAs outright, than hang onto players for the sake of it.

As for Joe passing on better deals to do this deal...

... If Joe could have gotten more value for Amir, don't you thunk he would have went and done it?

He's a two-time world champion as a player, multiple all-defensive team member, etc., etc. He has more competitiveness in one little pinkie than all you front runner's have combined.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Do you wish we'd hung on to Darko too?

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well hello all. haven't been here in awhile...usually take the summers off from posting hehe. joe must have something brewing with wanting to acquire 2 decent free agents instead of 1, in which case the $1.9 million in savings could make a big difference.

if you read between the lines, it was probably between keeping johnson and trading the #15 pick, or trading johnson and keeping the #15 pick. the question is, do you think you can get a better big man than amir at the #15 pick in this year's draft, and i think that answer is yes, whether it be earl clark, james johnson, etc. looking at it from that perspective (and the fact that i think amir will never put it all together), i'm cool with the trade.

and now we really need big men because all we have now is max and kwame lol.

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

..But, we want to beat our opponents. He's only good for beating.....oh, wait....you said Chris Bosh...

:doh:

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm so relieved...this season's podshows will be free of Magic Dragon debates and imaginary contributions to wins.

14. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Arron Afflalo is still on the team. And Walter Sharpe will be a sure-fire replacement for Amir, lol.

15. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

The more I think about it, the more I believe a blockbuster trade is on the way. If JD was looking toward 2010 with this deal, then why not accept Celtic trade. You then are trading Stuckey for Rondo and you will have 1.3 zillion dollars for 2010 when Allen comes off the books. If not, then he should have just traded AJ to the Flint Michigan Tropics for a washing machine, because we would get nothing out of this deal.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still don't get it - cap space can't be the answer, the Pistons already have cap space and AJ may be overpaid from the current standpoint but what better forward does Joe expect to acquire? I mean, how can AJ turn from being the next big thing to another Fabricio Oberto in such a small span?

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There are many people that thought the trade sucked, and have stayed on this side and others who changed their opinion to this line of thought.

---------------

Then he needs to re-evaluate the meaning of competitiveness b/c his moves for the past few years have consisted of a/ sitting on his hands. or b/ signing a B bench player.

If he's going for it now, he needs to provide directions b/c i'm not following where this what is it 2 million in cap space is going to be of such value in FA or who exactly we are pursuing in the first place.

You can only live off your reputation for so long.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Where is the cap savings folks are talking about?

Amir is signed for one more year at $3.7 Oberto is signed for one more year at $3.8. Is that hundred grand really going to make a difference anywhere?

Oberto played in 54 games / 678 minutes and generated 416 Sprocket Points - 0.61 per minute

Amir played in 62 games / 908 minutes and generated 657 Sprocket Points - 0.72 per minute

I wonder if Joe is angling for Villaneuva who only makes $4.6 this season, his last.

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Fabricio will be bought out and will never wear Piston gear.
    I like this move.

Joe effectively dumped Amir's contract and is free to replace him with a better player. It works for Amir as well as he will likely get a fresh start with the Bucks and see some PT.

I heard a rumor yesterday that after Amir cleared out his locker at the Pistons practice facility, he went into Joe's office to thank him. After the two exchanged goodbyes, Amir went to hug his former GM and was promptly whistled for a foul.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe will buy out Oberto for less than $2 million I think.

What's interesting, is that Joe has no interest in a proven veteran forward for less than the mid-level. With a team so short on size and toughness, and basically just Max and Kwame, Joe must be cooking up something big.