An End to the Datsyuk Drama???

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

:suspiciou http://www.detnews.com/2005/wings/0509/11/C05-310777.htm

I hope they can get Datsyuk back. IMO, it's a lot of bad advice from his agent. Do I think he is a Superstar(ov) worthy of $6million? No.

Do I think he has the potential? Yes. Should he get $4Million? I think so.

Should the Wings have traded Shanny? Yes. Should they have released Lidstrom? It would have been tough, but in the new NHL, is he worth 1/5 of the cap?

This new CBA has the Wings' hands tied on this Datsyuk situation. They want him, badly. But Russian teams could pay him more. Pay him more than the most competetive league in the world? I guess so.

Does this mean the NHL isn't the most competetive league in the world now? Maybe it does. If we can't pay the best talent, then how can we say we're the best league? The new CBA has hurt the Mystique of the Stanley Cup and the NHL.

Next year, minus the Lidstrom, Shanny, and Yzerman contracts, we should have a better shot at retaining some of our young talent, and we've got some great youth. 2 NHL calibre goalies in Grand Rpaids. Hudler, Grigorenko... the future is bright...

And this season is not so bright... but I think Dats and Zetts together again, along with Yzerman's fairwell tour would have been bright spots.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is exactly what I have been saying for weeks, and it will apply to the NBA soon as well, unless the David Stern can get his act together.

You have to offer the MOST money or it isn't the best league. Talent follows the green.

The NHL has an uphill battle ahead of them. I can't see how they can generate enough money to stay in operation long enough to get another major TV deal. Without a big money TV deal, this league is done.

The diversified marketing and local TV rights dealings of the owners means that separate agendas will keep the NHL from making any tangible progress. And the head office has not exactly made themselves look very bright at anything marketing or business related.
  3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Exactly.

All of this... this player has no loyalty, he has no respect for this city... nonsense. If I could make more money playing in Michigan than I could playing in Wisconsin, I would stay in Michigan, regardless of the league it was in.