Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A place to consolidate and post videos/news/imformation on Andre Drummond. Try to keep it on topic and informational/factual. Credit Roscoe, Nemo and others from other threads.

Personal Info
    Wiki - Andre Drummond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ESPN college profile - Andre Drummond Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Connecticut Huskies - ESPN
    NBADraft.net profile - Andre Drummond | NBADraft.net
    Combine Athleticism results - 2012 NBA Combine: Athleticism Results | NBADraft.net
    Combine Measurements - 2012 NBA Combine: Measurements | NBADraft.net
    Pre-draft Breakdown video -

Articles
    The Polarizing Andre Drummond | NBADraft.net
    Drummond: Déjà Vu | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS
    NBA Draft: Underrated/Overrated | NBADraft.net

Workout videos

Pre-draft interviews

Highlights
    Andre Drummond Freshman Highlights 2011-2012 - YouTube
    Andre Drummond Highlight Mix- YouTube
    Andre Drummond Official Mixtape Vol. 3 (2011 HS Season) - YouTube

Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Nice work webz...........I hope he lives up to those highlights............

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He has already lived up to those highlights. Do you mean that you hope he lives up to some more similar type highlights?

4. Nemo

You caught me Bill..............always thinking of the Pistons in the recent past................

5. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Beyond the obvious physical attributes, he brings two college stats which tend to be predictors of NBA success- shot blocking and offensive rebounds. Those two skills tend to follow guys to the NBA, even when things like points do not. There are obviously exceptions, but those stats tend to be good indicators.

If the kid has even half a heart, I would expect him to develop into an Andrew Bynum-type player. If he can give us a solid 10-15 minutes per game this year, then I would be happy. Realistically, we're probably going to have to wait until year three before we could expect him to become an impact player. I'll take shot blocking, rebounding, and running the floor until then. I just want to see hustle.

Nemo likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully he is laid back in the same way that Monroe is. If I could only watch Monroe in interviews I would probably have a suspicion that he doesn't have much of a motor. But he's old school in the effort category when he's on the court.

Whenever I hear about an athlete this young, I tend to think back to when I was 18/19 and try to imagine how I would have been perceived vs how I turned out. I think that for most people, entire (basketball specific) aspects of your personality can evolve until the mid 20's. Look at Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace and how their personalities blossomed with additional confidence and increased skills.

I think that the keys to his development are basically low turnover in coach/ GM positions, a special big man skills coach and mentor, and confidence boosters along the way in the form of consistent meaningful playing time (even if it is 10 mpg).

BallDon'tLie and Laimbrane like this.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Absolutely. He's 18 years old. 18. I teach 18-year-olds, and I can't fathom any one of them being named a cornerstone of a multi-hundred-million-dollar franchise. They're mostly just caught up in their own drama with each other and trying to avoid doing schoolwork.

But he seems like an amiable, humble kid, and I hope for the best for him.

coynejeremy likes this.
  8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I have a question for you guys.. regarding Drummond..

Would you trade him now? BEFORE the season begins, before the summer league??

Of course, trading him in exchange of a player already made, that you already know that can play in this league. Not for another rookie.

Let's say.. Would you trade him for Josh Smith (IF he sign an extension for 4 more years with Detroit) ??
    Would you trade him for Demarcus Cousins?
    Would you trade him for Andrew Bynum?
    Would you trade him for Al Jefferson?
    Would you trade him for Joakim Noah?
    Would you trade him for Serge Ibaka?

(For the sake of my question, let's suppouse the "trade" goes straight or with crappy and non important players)

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think so. I would have traded him for Dwight Howard. But i can't stand him now so no.

10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

There's a classic psychological study wherein two groups of people are given things - one group is given a small amount of money, and the other one is given a relatively inconsequential object, such as a coffee mug. When people in both groups are offered the opportunity to then exchange the object (or money) that they received for the money (or object) that participants in the other group received, nearly all of them keep what they were originally given - money or object. We humans form attachments to things that we have, and overvalue them.

I like Drummond, but I realize that my fondness for him is because of the fact that he's a Piston. The reality is that he's done absolutely nothing and is little more than a pillar of potential. My emotional side would say no, keep him and see what develops, but knowing that my emotional self overvalues him, I believe that my rational side would trade him for any of those guys (with the exception of team cancer Cousins).

Slippy likes this.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You have a time machine. You have projected yourself ten years into the future and without any ability to relate or see the events in between...you notice a certain 28 year old. What would you understand?

13. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't get it Pass! sorry! :frown: You are asking me how I see Drummond with 28 years old?

14. Nemo

If he's wearing a McDonald's uniform...........then that person didn't live up to their potential.

To understand Drummond's future...........I would have to see inside his soul now.........not my dream for him.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yes.

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I used the babalfish translator and translated this to Latin and then translated the Latin back to English:

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The result is poetic. I wonder if Shakespeare used babelfish.

S.J. likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is the 28 year old a man or woman?

19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Serge Ibaka? All that guy does is leap around trying to swat the ball. I would argue that he is one of the most terrible defensive centres in the league. I don't care he made it to the first defensive team or whatever. What crap.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Embrace the attachment!

Imagine you have a $1 keno note. You can trade that keno note for $.25 and add that to the $.75 in your pocket to make $1.00 and go buy a soda and enjoy that soda or you can watch the game unfold. If you only look at the value of the keno note after the numbers are called, you miss the excitement of the game itself. This is what is important to the organization beyond the on-court performance. The excitement of Drummond is bound to draw national attention and put the franchise back in general discussion. In this metaphorical keno game, the numbers will be called out over 4+ years. That's like MJ slow motion. And in the end, you may end up with a valueless scrap of paper as a testament to your faith. The thing is - to stretch this metaphor to its breaking point - we don't need to hit all 15 numbers. We could hit 10 and it would be alright. We may not get the $50,000 jackpot and ride his coattails to dynastic dominance, but $500 is a lot more than the $1 you originally had and its good for a family dinner at a diner somewhere. And that'll last longer than a soda. And not contribute to diabetes. unless you drank a bottomless soda at your family dinner.

There were other pillars of potential. Meyers Leonard for example. He's a great kid and can trandscend basketball (a whole nother discussion) with his...personality. The difference between the two is the size of that pillar of potential and if that ad that keeps popping up on my browser has anything to say about it - size does matter. If we had drafted Leonard (say drummond was taken and Henson was mis-spelled L-E-O-N-A-R-D) and the question of 'would you trade...blah blah blah' then I imagine my answer would be yes, no, no, no, er...or something like that. I would take cousins (young and on upward swing of career) but not Bynum, Noah, Ibaka, and cartainly not Jefferson. There are flaws to every player...even established ones. Still, the magnitude of Drummond's potential overshadows any desire to flip him for a mid tier starter. And that's objectively speaking...

coynejeremy and linwood like this.