Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

This is very promising. At least we know we ain't got another Kwame
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Its soo hard for us fans to go thru the process of wanting more, but we arn't going to win a ton of games this year or win a championship this year. So if there is a plan I for one will be patient and wait....

I do assume though that the plan will be looked at and changed at points in the season if he keeps beating the curve that was planned on, but a game or a week shouldn't change the plan laid out. I just hope that the communication between coaches and players is working so Drummond understands why his play isn't being given instant rewards.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Take this a step further and it isn't Tay in JJ's way but Singler.

I don't have a problem with Max playing/starting, but they lean on him like he's Tim Duncan. Play him shorter stints.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like how the Freep article that TaS posted justifies Frank not playing Drummond in the 2nd half of the OKC games "because it wasn't a good match-up".

The Pistons are 1-9. The entire League is a bad match-up for them.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JJ is a SF. Tay starts and plays 30+ minutes at SF

Singler has been playing SG lately.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd like to see a shorter rotation. 8 man rotation with Max, Drummond and Monroe splitting all the minutes at PF and Center. Stuckey and Knight split all the minutes at PG, and Singler, Maggette and Tay splitting all the minutes at SG and SF. So that the lineup looks something like this:
    PG: Knight / Stuckey
    SG: Singler / Maggette
    SF: Prince / Maggette
    PF: Max / Monroe
    C: Monroe / Drummond.

While I hate Stuckey at PG (and as Piston for that matter), this is his last chance and he does make $8M/yr. I personally prefer Will over Stuckey in an off the bench-instant offense-role, but NBA politics and payrolls effect playing time, the word will come down from Joe to play Rodney. I imagine Rodney will stink up the joint and Will will eventually play his way back into the rotation and history has shown us that Will plays better when he seems to be fighting for respect. It seems as if once Will's role is solidified his play tails off, when he gets benched for a long stretch he always comes back and plays with a vengeance.
  7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Im pretty sure that if paycheques determined playing time we would be seeing alot more CV on the floor. Paycheques determine GM error, ability and skill should dictate playing time...and oddly enough victories.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps this makes sense if it is March and this is a playoff team. For this team, it makes no sense whatsoever to have less than a 10-man rotation. Guys like Singler, English, and Jerebko need minutes.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah in a perfect world. There's no way they will allow Frank to DNP $16M.
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

They let him DNP $20m when Gordon was cold
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I LOVE the fact that couch Doogie Houser ain't afraid to slap a DNP on a high earner.
    It makes you kinda wonder if one of Joe-D's guys would have been hired to coach this roster; would they have the guts to park Joe's prize FA signings on the bench?
    del and roscoe36 like this.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Coach Frank is starting to grow on me. It is impossible to please everyone with the rotations, but he has used a lot of guys, and avoided using known duds.
    del, Laimbrane and round like this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

My only complaint is the fact that he still allows Villanueva to put on the uniform but hey, that's splitting hairs (just an expression, ...NOT some kind of alopecia joke).
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

He's the Dennis Kucinich of basketball coaches - he's short and does not at all look qualified for the position, so everyone just kind of assumes that he doesn't know what he's doing, when in fact he's extremely smart and most people actually do agree with him. I remember taking a blind online opinion poll in 2008 where we were supposed to answer political questions, and not only did I match up really well with him, but he matched up best with a higher percentage of those poll-takers than anyone else. I didn't vote for him, of course, because he looks like a Keebler Elf, and I think that's part of the reason that everyone rags Frank.

The truth is that he has this team coming around. For the most part, they've been competitive. Drummond is actually improving, Singler has stepped into the lineup and made a world of difference, the team has been playing solid defense lately (that fourth quarter in Orlando the obvious exception), and Frank is there for that. He's not perfect, but he's not going to be - Lee is going to hate the fact that he keeps putting Jerebko at the 4, for instance - but the team has actually shown visible signs of improvement. They don't score all that well, but they're giving up the sixth fewest points per game in basketball. Add a scorer, and this is a playoff team. I'll take that.

But he's never going to actually get the respect he deserves because, at best, he looks like a horse jockey, not a basketball coach. C'est la vie.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure where you're getting that from.

I show that we allow 98.3 ppg, which ranks 19th in the league. Since we have a slower than average pace, that means that we allow 107 points per 100 possessions, which ranks our defense 24th in the league (a big improvement from last not too long ago).
    Our offense is actually ranked 20th on a pace adjusted basis, which means that our offense is more effective than our defense so far. We're 8th in the league in assists on a gross basis, which would probably put us inside the top 5 on a true pace adjusted basis. We're above average in FG% and 3P%.

One notable stat that really hurts our defense is that we are ranked 29th in the league in defensive rebound percentage, which Charlotte only a fraction behind us. Since Monroe is one of the leagues better rebounders, this means that we must be losing a ton of rebounding production from our PF and SF. Maxiell is undersized and Prince is a weak rebounder. This is our worst stat, besides attendance, where we still rank 30th. Our offense rebounding doesn't make up for it as we are slightly below average there as well.

From this perspective, moving Drummond into the starting lineup and playing both Monroe and Drummond increased minutes would seem to solve our biggest current weakness. Replace Tay with someone who can rebound and we might even be top 10. Singler seems like an above average rebounder for a SG.
  16. BallDon'tLie

The guy who used to start at SG prior to Singler was another weak rebounder.
    You'd think his colliding skills would translate to more boards but they don't.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Brandon Knight is an excellent rebounder as a PG.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

You're right. Something weird is going on at ESPN.com...

This page has them at 91.4 opp. ppg (which is where I took that stat - I didn't cross-reference it for accuracy)
    2012-2013 NBA Regular Season League Standings - National Basketball Association - ESPN

But this page has them at 98.3:
    2012-13 Regular Season NBA Team Stats and League Leaders - Team Comparison Per Game - National Basketball Association - ESPN

I don't know why that discrepancy exists, but 91.4 is the Pistons' opp. ppg over the last 5 games, and NBA.com does offer that as a selectable option. That's the only calculation I can find that matches that.

To make matters weirder, though, that same page has the Pistons listed at 85.4 ppg offensively, but the Pistons have only scored below that mark twice all season, and I can't see any possible reasonable calculation that would leave them at that number.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Look at you! :)
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's really weird. They've been hacked by anonymous! You are right, they probably have the last 5 game calc going by mistake.

We need a glitch like that in the matrix if we are going to make the playoffs this year.