1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just some ramblings by Lawrence on Dre:

So it appears as though Dre has the best physical ability, the most untapped potential, is the most coachable, and has top level character.

Man did we get lucky in that draft.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's almost like Monroe has some weird sort of Tourette's, like it belches from his mouth every time he takes an even mildly contested shot.

Or maybe it's excuse-making for all of his missed layups.

3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's a good thing that they're not giving their most athletically-gifted, naturally-talented, hardest-working, highest-ceilinged, most impactful player more playing time. It would take some kind of moron to do that.

The only people that would object to moving him into the starting lineup would be Maxiell (who would probably lose his spot in a contract year) and the rest of the bench, who thrive off of being able to do whatever they want on defense and get away with it.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just don't see this urgency to start Dre at this point. I don't get it.

His minutes and production have continued to go up. They will likely continue to go up over time as he becomes stronger, and his excellent play creates a feedback loop to play more minutes.

But the kid is 19 years old. How many 19 year olds start in the NBA? Even Kevin Garnett only started half of his rookie season on a completely worthless Minnesota team.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Kevin Garnett was playing more than 19:32 like he did last night, wasn't he? Kevin Garnett was also younger and weighed at least 60 lbs less.

They're asking him to play defense, rebound and run the full 94' of the court on his own so Frank can play Chuckles, Austin Daye and Singleton together all the while saying they're worried about overwhelming him and ergo not playing him?

I can't believe anyone not related to a Pistons bench player could watch this team and not think Drummond should meritoriously play more.

6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

KG averaged 29 minutes his first season.

7. roscoe36

I think Drummond should play more. I drafted him on my fantasy team and his production directly benefits me beyond making the Pistons bearable to watch.

My issue is the obsession with him starting. I don't get it.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like when guys yell "and-1" but they miss the shot.

9. roscoe36

GMon should yell AND TWO.

coynejeremy and TaShawn like this.
  10. roscoe36

Or at least yell, BALL DONT LIE after his own shots

coynejeremy and Walter like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One benefit to starting Dre would be that we would know if he is a good partner for Monroe. Right now, we have very little idea. If we knew that their styles don't mesh well, then maybe we pursue other opportunities like Cousins.

This whole season should be about figuring out who we have and showcasing the guys that we don't want to keep long term to start trading up.

del likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

It doesn't seem that radical to me to want to play your two best players.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Off topic big time, but I never realized how poor of a rebounder Cliff Robinson was until I stumbled across his old stats.

In his last year with us in 2003, he averaged over 35 mpg, was considered a strong defender, and averaged 3.9 rebounds per game. It wasn't a big deviation from his career average of 4.6 boards per 36 minutes of playing time.

How did he get away with that?

He averaged fewer boards per 36 minutes than the following players on our current team:
    Drummond- 13.1
    Monroe- 9.9
    Maxiell- 8.2
    Daye- 7.8
    Villanueva- 7.5
    Jerebko- 6.7
    Prince- 5.1
    Singler- 4.9
    Knight- 4.2

He basically rebounded the ball at the same rate as Stuckey and Maggette.

And really off topic...
    DET now has the 6th best 3point shooting average in the NBA at .381. Singler has the 8th best average on our team, which tells you how good we are.
    We attempt fewer threes than all but 3 teams. 16.5 attempts per game. That is about half of what the Knicks attempt.

We could stand to shoot more of them like we've been doing lately and still be normal.

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Actually unless Yahoo is wrong Kevin was born in May and Andre was born in Aug.... both being 19 when they started there playing days at 19 but Kevin a tad older :P and they are different body styles so the weight argument I don't get either since Drummond is still 30 lbs heavy then Kevin. Yahoo doesn't do game logs back farther then 2000 so I couldn't check to see if his mins started out low and ramped up... by the end of the season I'm betting Drummond's mins will be closer to 25 mins per game for the year. We'll see though

Do any of us fans have evidence that Drummond getting 30 mins a night will make him better faster? I just don't get that, he's getting playing time. He gets time to go to the bench and watch and digest what feedback the coaches are giving to him as he has positives and negatives in his play. Fans wanting him to play more is just us being caught in the moment and not thinking big picture. Let's say he starts and plays 35 mins a night, what does it do for the team? Do fans honestly think its going to make us an instant playoff team? I highly doubt it, and from a point that nobody seems to bring up..... I wonder if limiting him now and letting him grow into his man body will pay dividends in fewer injuries down the line.

Folks seem to have to taken there pre season talk and chucked it out the window. How many mins did folks hope Drummond get? he's getting alot more then that already.

Oh and I'm not related to any bench players :P

I will add though I personally would like to see him in more of the end game situations as its another component to the game he needs to learn.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

KG came straight out of HS at a time when even a magazine like SLAM said it was a mistake and he would have a worse career than Bryant "Big Country" Reeves. There was no game plan for acclimating him to the step up in competition. I doubt he weighed 220 lbs and did not have a position when he started. I believe his minutes started slowly but had built to a consistent level by this point.

Drummond is the best Pistons player by a mile. We can sit here all day and make up stuff that might happen to him. If the Pistons were that concerned about "overwhelming the poor young guy" might it make some sense to send him onto the court with some players who can share his burden instead of making him do all the work so Chucky G and Austin Daye can play?

Which of these big, strong and mean older players has given Drummond trouble? He was chucking LeBron and Bosh around like they were little kids.

I've got no time to be afraid of the dark. Sitting and watching is the way to go if he's learning to be a secretary. Basketball players play basketball and your best ones play the most. I know that's crazy.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

KG treats objects like women, man.

Walter likes this.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If Drummond was as mean as KG.......save the women and children first!

18. roscoe36

This argument cuts both ways.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another benefit to starting your best players is that it allows them to play more minutes. With a starter, you can give them a breather in a half and then put them back out on the floor in that same half. With a reserve, it is very difficult to have a guy come off the bench, take a break, and then come off the bench again in that same half....especially when you have a coach that likes to play guys in 10-12 minute spurts.

coynejeremy likes this.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We always clamor to see the Monroe/Drummond pairing, but I personally would like to see Max and Drummond play together, a great defensive tandem, great shot blocking, great on the pick and roll and they'd be murder on the offensive glass......I'm sure that would keep teams from running out on us. Also Max seems OK and willing to take a WIDE OPEN Jump Shot!

roscoe36 likes this.