Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond's double double last night was achieved in 10 minutes. He was on pace for a 60 point, 48 rebound game at the rate that he was going.

The outstanding question that I've seen is "what is the shortest time ever to hit a double double in an NBA game." The record probably belongs to Wilt. Dre did something really unusual though and it wasn't against a small ball lineup. It was against Henson and Udoh.
    copper likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, if Drummond's minutes continue along the current trendline, he will play 32.8 minutes in game #82. Who knows how many minutes he will play in the playoffs.

[​IMG]
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I know, I know......0..unless Dumars trades him to a playoff team
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond is on pace to play more than 1,000 fewer minutes than Howard did in his rookie year. In Howard's 2nd year, his minutes were increased by another 350.

1,000 fewer minutes translates into 50 fewer games at Drummond's current per game rate. That's over half a season of development that he's missing out on and production that the team is missing out on.

To give you a feel for how many minutes 1,000 is: Drummond has not even played that many yet this year. It's a boatload.
    copper likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Also, Drummond is on pace to build a WARP >7, making him one of only 15 or so rookies since the 3pt line to do so, playing only 20mpg. It is absurd for anyone on the coaching staff to think this guy isn't ready for the step up to 27-28 mpg, at least. The only thing holding him back is poor rotations by Frankalicious.
  6. BillLaimbeer

It's easy to say "just play Drummond more minutes." If you look at Drummond after he has played for about 7 or 8 consecutive minutes, he is breathing very hard. He is gassed. I'm not sure he could play more than 25 minutes per game right now if he was allowed. When guys play when they are tired, they get injured.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How would you recommend that a professional athlete get in shape? We're more than 50 games into the season (counting pre-season) with more than 50 practices. Should Arnie be fired or is it just pure laziness on Dre's part?
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

copper likes this.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The Panda likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

I have seen no evidence of laziness on Drummond's part. He is probably in great shape. When he plays, he just exerts an enormous amount of energy. Perhaps no one can play long stretches with that type of off-the-charts energy. When this roster gets fixed, he could easily get up to 32 minutes by playing the first and last 8 minutes of each half.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this and this is where Frank has been failing horribly. He makes the players adjust to him. He makes Flip Saunders look like Popovich with his 16 minute PT stints.
  12. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Teenage big men playing big minutes tend to have a short shelf life in the NBA. I'm 100% cool with Dre sticking at around 28 mpg. I'd rather have him healthy for 12 years, than have him make the All-Star game next year, and look like an old man at 28.
    Walter likes this.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

KG and DH seem to be doin pretty good, which teen agers are you reffering to?
  14. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Totally agree. But it isn't hard to play someone 9 minutes a quarter as long as you give them breaks. Frank has a terrible tendancy to keep people in until they can no longer recover from their fatigue.

Thats not true. Its just big men in general, who are injury prone because of the amplified force they exert on their knees. Hopefully evolution will fix this up soon!
  15. J-Train

It may be big men in general. Tyson Chandler has been hobbled on and off his whole career. Andrew Bynum, ditto. Jermaine Oneal was shot by his late twenties. I believe that Dwight Howard's best days are behind him. His back is shot, and his knees are starting to get balky. He missed 30 games last year and hasn't looked the same since. He's 27 years old. KG was really light for his size, and thus, is somewhat of an aberration, but even he was starting to be limited by injury around thirty, and he had never sustained a major injury. It was just wear and tear.

On the other hand, big men who played for four years in college, and hence a MUCH lighter workload, tend to be a bit better off. Duncan is still going strong. Hakeem, Dikembe, Kareem, Wilt, Russel, Mourning, and even Ewing had long, productive careers. It's not scientific, but I get queasy when I see teenage, franchise big men logging big minutes for 82 games, especially teenagers who are as heavy as Dre.

It's just that all of that soft tissue is still forming- tendons, ligaments, spinal discs, etc. The small bones in the feet are susceptible as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Kander had a soft limit on minutes played.
    coynejeremy, Nemo, linwood and 3 others like this.
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Which is where good coaching comes into play, if he starts Dre and runs him his usual 6-8 minutes and pulls him then he gets anywhere from 3-7 minutes depending on timeouts and intermission then goes again in second quarter 6-8 again then he gets halftime and repeat for second half. that would get an average of 24-36 minutes a game and never really pushing Dre to exhaustion for extended spurts like he has been. Unless his plan is to give drummond extended minutes to fatigue him purposely? possible training technique? to me it would make way more sense to get him on the court with energy for more time every game instead of extended minutes each half.
  17. J-Train

Jermaine Oneal and Bynum both had light minutes early in their careers. Bynum might just be injury prone, but then again, he might not have become injury prone had he not subjected his body to the NBA lifestyle at 18. Oneal was forced to put on way too much weight way too early, and his body paid the price.

Amare came out of the gate like gangbusters. He aged in dog years.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe that's why Darko was so injury free. Larry Brown really brought him along nicely.

If bigs have a short half life, then let's get some use out of him before it's too late.
    coynejeremy and copper like this.
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

and for every 3 that have injuries that may just be injuries and nothing to do with playing 10 more minutes in a game when they play way more than that in practice every day...there are 20 that have no problems and wear down like players that played teenage years on college courts. The fact is you cant know that an injury is related to age. Athletes bodies break down regardless of when they arrive in the big show.
  20. J-Train

As for Darko, every coach he ever had brought him about nicely. He topped out at 24 mpg. He didn't even play much in Serbia.

I reject your assumption. Bigs DON'T have a short half life. Many have long, productive careers. Bigs who come into the NBA as teenagers tend to have their bodies destroyed.

Let's just try and keep the kid under or around 30 mpg until he can legally buy a drink.