Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I like to see some actual numbers on that. Because I consider LBJ a 'big guy'. He is 6"9 and 260 but virtually never has injury problems. Oden on the other hand got destroyed by injuries. Shaq only played 1 year of college and played from 19, logging huge minutes. He had a very long and productive career and was one of the heaviest centres to ever play.

I would argue it depends more on conditioning and the nature of their bodies. Some can take it, others just cant.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There are plenty of examples either way. It would take an extensive study to figure out if it's true or not.

They say injuries happen when athletes are tired- I remember reading a convincing rebuttal to that not too long ago.

Most NBA injuries seem to be bad luck + physical makeup as far as I can tell through observation. The NFL seems similar. If the a guy rolls into your knee at the wrong time or if you get bumped while in the air at the wrong time, there might be a tremendous force on a ligament. Depending on the player's lig strength, it's either a sprain or a tear.

Besides, we have Kander. He can tell when a guy is going to get injured by the way they walk off the bus and he just has them do extra wall stretches pre-game.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Jermaine O'Neal played less minutes his rookie year than Drummond has.

I would like to see Frank give both Monroe and Drummond more frequent but shorter rests. Although I'm not opposed I wasn't set on Drummond having to play 40 minutes. I don't feel that it is outrageous to try and accommodate him.
  4. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

A NBA practice is nothing like a NBA game. Most practices are drills with a little scrimmaging at the end. During the season, it's usually walk throughs, which are called "walk" throughs for a reason.

NBA athletes are intensely training and traveling for 8 months out of a year. It's completely absurd to compare high school, AAU, and college seasons to the NBA grind. I would guess that the comment that "there are 20 that have no problems and wear down like players that played teenage years on college courts" is both completely unsubstantiated and utterly irrelevant to the subject of teenage bigs entering the NBA.

It is a fact that you can't know that an injury is related to age. It is also common sense to understand that still unformed bodies exposed to extreme athletic stress are more likely to sustain permanent injuries from repetitive stress earlier than people who waited until their adult body had more or less formed. It's why you have lower pitch counts for kids. It's why you don't let adolescents regularly max out on a weight set until they are well into high school. It's why you lower a running back's draft grade if he's had a heavy work load for his first two years.

This isn't hard to understand.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They don't have pitch counts for 19 year olds.
    copper likes this.
  6. J-Train

Most 19 year olds haven't put on 30 pounds in the last three months. They are also not expected to make their 300 pound bodies run, jump, and cut every other day for seven months either.

He's not being asked to throw a ball once every six days.
  7. J-Train

I'm also pretty sure that a Tommy John surgery won't add another five years to his career.
  8. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

You can keep is minutes managed better if you Start him. More flexibility ans opportunities to rest.
    J-Train likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dre put on 30 lbs in 90 days? In that case, he should burn some more calories. What would be a good activity for him to do that won't cause an injury in year 5? Badmitten?
    copper likes this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I agree with J-Train. Not sure if some of you have ever played sports at a high level, but the stress on the body is EXTREMELY difficult. I have no urge to see Dre playing over 30mpg this year, or next year. We're not beating LeBron or Durant anytime soon. What I do want to see is more time with Drummond, Monroe and Knight playing together. Those three guys have to form a great chemistry in order for us to get back to prominence because I don't see any great SG's or SF's coming along in the draft of via free agency anytime soon.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

so you think the only time these guys play hard is during games? have you seen the summer pick up games? have you seen the training sessions? these guys have more chance of injury falling down stairs at their houses or cutting a hand opening a can of tuna for gawd sakes. and yes Teams will have " walk " through on back to backs or if they get in late from a return flight.
    I would also like to point out that in college they are younger and according to you, more susseptible to injury of their still forming muscles and ligaments. and what about high school? The fact of the matter is when they are freshmen they are playing against bigger guys, and likewise when they enter the nba. as well your comment that it is totally un substantiated and utterly irrelevant to the subject is actually correct and quite relivent. Your assessment that Drummond is more susseptible to injury because he is 19 is ludicris, it is a fact that younger people are actually more less likely to be injured than older ones. Journal of scientific medicine. Their ligaments and connective tissue is more pliable and less likely to tear. They are also more likely to recover from said injuries
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's turn it down a notch.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I cant help it, when Im right...Im right.:angrysoapbox:
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He plays about 20 minutes of basketball every other day with tons of breaks throughout (timeouts, free throws, half time, etc). He's 19 and manhandles everyone with his physical dominance. He doesn't get pushed around, knocked to the floor, or even fouled very hard. He's the bruiser. He already has an NBA body.

It's not like this is standard procedure. Frank is doing something historically unique here. First ever rookie to post 18/18 off the bench and he did it in low minutes and was taken out of the game for garbage time. Top WS guy and top 10 PER still has training wheels on 45 games into the season? No other rookie has ever had these stats and been so restrained.

I agree that it doesn't matter a whole lot, but it's just frustrating to see our best player on a leash while we rack up L's. If Frank flat out forfeited games and didn't bother flying the team to road destinations, it probably wouldn't hurt our long term prospects.

I'm with you though in that what I really want is to see the real simulation. 25 mpg of him is more tolerable if it is training for the future. That would mean going against other starters and with long term teammates. The Magic model is not going to be our eventual Championship model, so it doesn't do a lot of good to have him play in it night in and night out. His chemistry with Bynum, while entertaining, doesn't help us grow.

Monroe seems to handle the rigors of heavy minutes pretty well. He was 1 year older than Drum in his rookie year and came close to 30 mpg.

I do expect Drum's per min stats to shrink when paired with Monroe though. They are going to be sharing rebounds and offensive put back opportunities.
  15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I was laughing at the Pacers announcers tonight at one point Drum got tangled up with a Pacer big and just shook him off like a flee and the announcers were amazed at how strong he is and how physically dominating he is at only 19.
    The Panda likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The clip of him chucking Hansborough into the stands in the last matchup (and getting away with it) was a pleasure too.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Kid is a beast, once he learns to use his base to gain position and gets his game speed under control...he is going to be amazing.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, but if you guys get into it, then I have to do the "angry daddy routine" and I don't like doing that, so it's better if everyone keeps a cool head and a respectful tone, because my commitment to act is to act swiftly, and with extreme prejudice when things get out of hand. After 7 years, I have learned that molly-coddlying problems on the forum makes me sad, and doesn't solve the problem.
    copper likes this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Howard has his share of injuries and so did KG.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

No matter what we all think, the fact remains that Dre is having a better than expected year, he's progressing very well and beyond anybody's expectations, and his minutes are slowly but steadily increasing. The entire process is being managed by professionals who are getting paid big bucks to do this job. Why can't we just be grateful when we see something positive.

This bickering about Drummond's minutes is pointless. We can argue and get mad that he's not getting more play time with the rest of the supposed core in Monroe and Knight and that would be a valid discussion/argument.
    roscoe36 likes this.