Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

All reports are Drummond since being drafted works extremely hard and is a sponge for coaching. If he keeps that up, he'll be outstanding.

These "experts" are just doing stupid "expert exercises" at this point in their post 2012 draft analysis. None of them have any freaking clue which rookies will do what this month, the next, six months or six years from now.

I'll take my chances with the best athlete at C to come into the league since Dwight Howard if he's got a great attitude, works hard and is coachable.

2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not angry about Drummond not being named in any top 10 rookies of this year list. (Like the Rookie Lader from NBA.com )

Probably Drummond won't be a stand out in his first year. (I'll be more, MORE than happy if he reach the Rookie vs Sophomore game and average 7 rebounds with 2 blocks without caring how much points).

Drummond is a work in progress, but a GOOD one. He may be one of the best picks but not right away. It may take time for him to develop his game. He really is too raw, you have to watch a few games from the Summer league and you can notice that. Don't need to be an "expert" for that.

Don't get me wrong, I am the first cheering up for him to shine!

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't think Drummond should be "brought along slowley" and I wouldn't let him read stuff like this article (even though it's likely true). I'd keep telling him that the 8 other teams that passed him up were wrong and he's the next D-Ho.

Treat the kid like a star and he just might become one.
    Treat the kid like a "project" and he just might remain one.

S.J. and linwood like this.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

They look at raw numbers last year, but seem to forget he was a last min addition to the team last fall. They also glance over the coaching situation there... and the fact that he was so young he was younger then almost all freshmen in college last year. All the concerns pre draft so far have not shown to be true....

It's early, but I will reserve judgement unlike these "experts"

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

These writers are just regurgitating pre-draft reports - which all seem to be iterations of "this guy said such and such somewhere". They have no idea what each player is really capable of.

Even after his first season, they were still saying the same thing about Monroe they said on draft night. Now, these same experts are calling him a top 5 center.

Most sports writers nowadays have the insight of a wet, moldy scrap of a 2x4.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am hopeful that Joe D and Coach Frank will throw Drummond to the wolves. I have this feeling that he will do just fine.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Even if he doesn't do fine, he needs to be set up to succeed rather than be stashed at the end of the bench. This isn't a "Darko" situation where we have a rookie big trying to take time away from guys who are winning championships and playing in all-star games. If Dre screws up a defensive rotation or takes a bad shot, it doesn't matter. As long as he's learning, maturing and getting experience - the dude HAS to play.

Every decision that is made this seson has to be made with next season in mind. Whether it's roster decisions or rotation decisions; this thing has to be run with the goal of positioning the Detroit Pistons to be as good as they can possibly be at the start of the 13/14 season.

That means placing a priority on the guys who have upside over the guys on their downside.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The last time Joe stocked up on big men, good things happened.
    Wallace
    Sheed
    Corliss
    Okur
    Campbell
    Darko

His small ball dream appears to be dead.

roscoe36 and brofmfa like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Except these guys could naturally play together.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL how one of the big guys magically disappeared. POOF!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He just went for a smoke break.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

Very impressive game for Drummond last night. I cannot believe he lasted until the 9th pick. 7 or 8 teams are going to just be kicking themselves for a long time for passing him up. Sure, he's totally a project, but he's an incredible athlete. His lateral speed and agility, his length, his strength (and he's going to get TONS stronger over the next few years), his leaping ability - other than Dwight Howard, there probably isn't a center in the league who has his physical gifts. It also looks to me that he's been improving a lot with top-flight coaching he's been getting.

If the Pistons can get a good performance from Slava, then my strong preference would be to plunk these two kids at Center, to soak up all the minutes there, and then use Maxiell or Monroe there depending on matchups, or if the rooks are having a poor game. The Pistons look like a completely different team with a C who can really defend the paint, and who can finish with dunks. Opposing defenses now have to commit a lot of energy to keep Drummond away from the rim. It's going to create more room for our penetrating guards to have opposing centers be more worried about Drummond getting inside position on them then they used to be, even with Monroe. Drummond on the inside and close to the rim is instant death.

13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

young fella with 10 pts 6 brds and 2 blks in the first half (10 minutes)

14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yes, yes, yes, and a hundred times yes. There is absolutely no need for this "bring him slowly" stuff. It didn't work with Darko and it doesn't work with anyone. There is this famous quote from an IBM boss in the company's early years who said that he always behaved as if he was the CEO of a huge company until it became one. That is what should be done with Drummond.

15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The only time it is acceptable to bring a player along slowly is when recovering from injury...or when the player isnt good and you are buying time to either, hope they get better, or trade them.

16. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Yeah, then he can end up as the next Iverson.

"Training? You talking bout training?"

There is a big difference between treating someone like a scrub and encouraging them. Drummond is going to get flattened in a lot of games, by big strong dudes. If you keep telling him he is a star even though he is pulling out BoT performances, you are going to create a situation where either a) he has a crisis of confidence, or b) he becomes confused about what is expected. Both these outcomes suck.

Unless he is going 20/20 and posting up everyone, you don't treat him like D-Ho. We want another Monroe, more going to work guys. Not some uppity knob. He is a project. He knows that, we know that, the Pistons know that. Telling him otherwise makes you look insincere at best, or flat out dishonest at worst. And that is a big gamble in itself.

17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Certainly, there should be no smoke up the ass. You tell him exactly how it is and treat him like a man. Only a fool thinks it will be easy. He will take his lumps, especially as teams get scouting reports on him and he actually has to game plan rather than just play. What I like is the fact that he has gotten into games and even when he isnt getting the ball he is still active and always looking to ignite a play.

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

This looks like nickname gold. Which player will become the Uppity Knob?

Nemo likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Austin "Life Coach" Daye?

20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I'd say he's a shoo-in.