Andre Drummond thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Through 3 games:

Drummond-
    53.75 minutes
    33 points
    17 rebounds
    2 assists
    3 steals
    5 blocks (he was blocked 0 times)
    16-22 from the floor (.727 shooting)

Monroe-
    71.25 minutes
    35 points
    20 rebounds
    2 assists
    1 steal
    2 blocked (he was blocked 5 times)
    12-28 from the floor (.429)

Monroe has been good, but Drummond has actually outplayed him so far.

Together, they are surely going to eat into each other's numbers, but the team will benefit.

Very pumped up to see this off to a good start.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

that's not what I was saying; maybe I put it the wrong way, true. I meant that he should be thrown out there, whenever possible, agaisnt any player possible, no matter whether his name is DHo, Bynum or Griffin. He can be a beast, so unleash him. If he fails, ok. But I've had enough of that "he's young"-blabla.
    The Panda likes this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not saying that young Dre should be given his own separate jet to fly to games and have shootarounds be made "optional" for him. He's a rookie. he should still carry Tayshaun Prince's luggage (no big deal there - at ALL) and be made to sing the UConn fight song at team meals.

The message to this kid should be: "Dre, we know you're gonne get flattened out there. Dude, you're 19! ...But we also believe that you're one of the most promising young bigs in the league and you're too good to be brought along slowly. We EXPECT you to be good. We EXPECT you to act like a pro on and off the court. We EXPECT you to make a lot of rookie mistakes. WE EXPECT you to learn from them and get better each and every game".

...Or we could bring him along slowley.
    That way, at the end of his 2nd year, he can start showing signs of being a good player and Joe can be completely clueless as to whether he is "the" solution at starting Center. Joe can either resign him to a contract that he isn't sure of or let him walk only to see him start killing it on another team.

Since we likely have nothing to play for this season, I say let's get the learning curve out of the way now!
    The Panda likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Ok, it appears that I may have misinterpreted the message a bit.

I'm not a fan of the arrogant sports star - I think DHo et al are the way they are because of how they were treated early in their careers. That why I like Monroe and Knight and think they are such great fits in this team. Handle not great? Work on it hardcore in the off season. Not enough post moves? Work on it. Be a passing member of the front court and focus on the team rather than putting up stats. Try on D.

What I have seen from Dre so far is incredible. He is smart, determined and plays to his strength. If he turns out with the same grit and determination every game, I don't car how many points he scores
    TWOTIMESRALPHI and BallDon'tLie like this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Early in their careers means middle school in some of these guy's cases.
    Walter likes this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Drummond and Monroe finally playing together....Pistons immediately go on an 8-2 run. Monroe throws Dre an alley oop pass for a jam. This is very cool.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Getting Drummond at #9 in the draft is
    a freakin' steal!
    Laimbrane likes this.
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm absolutely astounded at his improvement already. Granted, the Pistons haven't really played stiff competition, but still... his per-minute stats are awesome for where he was supposed to be right now.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

agreed, he is playing far above expectations so far. I am sure he will hit that point where he looks lost and has some real bad games...But that is to be expected and those games will help him.
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agree. And the guy has guard moves; wouldn't fault people for thinking Dre was supersized TMac. He'll have his share of BSPN highlight clips, I'm sure of it.
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think we write stuff like, "Drummond will look lost at some point", out of habit. I don't think this will happen becuase the Pistons aren't asking him to do anything other then being bigger and faster than his opponents.

That's why he can play right away.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Im talking about looking lost when he plays against better competition, against some skilled players he isnt gonna have his defensive reads down and he will be beaten badly, Im hoping he takes these in stride and doesnt go into Daye overload criticising himself right out of his own head. The kid has more athletic ability and god given talent than just about anyone he steps onto the floor against on a nightly basis, its between the ears where he will have to grow fast. I believe he will.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I don't see a thread for the Charlotte game - so I will make my comment about the game here. Drummond made an awesome move to score in this one. He faced his guy up. After going straight up, and his opponent matching him, Drummond pulled the ball down, put the ball behind his opponents back and flipped it up and in. While of course I have seen fake their guy up in the air and then go behind them for the flip in, I can't recall ever a center actually going up and then pulling off this move. Anyone else?
  15. BillLaimbeer

I agree that play showed a tremendous amount of skill for a big guy. Another cool thing about it was that just a minute before that shot, Drummond went up and grabbed an offensive rebound and slammed it home with a power dunk. The guy has such a ton of talent.
  16. BallDon'tLie

I don't buy the whole "we can't play the rook cuz if he gets served, it will wreck his confindence" argument. The Pistons have used the "bring him along slowley" approach throughout the entire POST-Chuck Daly era and it hasn't worked.

AD needs to start next to Greg Monroe DAY FREAKING ONE.
    The Pistons don't have any other options that are remotely close to this kid in ability and upside.
    There will be plenty of time for Max to come in after Drum picks up two quick fouls in the 1st Q.

Start the kid.
    Let him hear Mason call his name.
    Let him hear the sparcely crowded Palace cheer for him.
    Let him make mistakes and learn from them.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If the kid is ready he should start... if the kid is ready to play limited mins.... then he should play limited mins, and if by some chance (highly doubt it) he needs to be in a suit every night... then suit it is. I trust the coaches we have now to do that.

Guys this is not 2004 and Darko... or 2005-2008 where the rooks couldn't sniff the field. two years ago by mid season we had a rookie starting, last year we had a rookie starting. I suspect Drumond is going to start on the bench and is going to get a decent 15-20 mins a night, and as he shows he's ready for more there going to allow him to grow into a bigger role. Will he start by mid season or the end of the year? I don't know.... but I think he'll be allowed to take whatever he is capable of handling. I'm more worried about our other 3 rookies getting a chance to show there talents as there not as good IMO, and behind more roadblocks.

This kid has the potential (DANGEROUS WORD) to be a monster, he looks more finished on offense then Howard already... just think what he'll look like when he has his Man's body. Its going to be fun watching him grow.... but don't make him grow up faster then he's ready guys.
    brofmfa and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. BallDon'tLie

I'd like to hear someone make a compelling argument for any other current Piston starting over Andre Drummond.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I can't... even though I would rather him start off on the bench LOL.... I just think he needs to be able to watch abit and not have that starters pressure to start.

To be honest if I was GM and money wasn't an issue.... I'd cut CV and Daye and resign Ben to play 10 mins at the start of the game, and maybe 5 mins at the start of the 2nd half.

Now... I'd love to be wrong and him to be ready to start from day 1, or at worst seize the starting spot by mid season. I just don't want folks to get carried away. He's going to have bad games... heck bad weeks, and when he hits that rookie wall he might need a game off here and there.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

JMax at least can contain starting physical bullies, so far Drummond has played against of nonames, he has no body for starting center yet.