Andrew Bynum/Sam Dalembert/Stoudemire

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but he's got the Piston DNA.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Big men/ per 36 min

Player: Sheed/ Kwame/ Booz/ DMC/ Bosh/ Przybilla
    FG % : .471/ .533/ .490/ .533/ .487/ .625
    FGAtt: 12.2/ 6.1/ 15.4/ 9.3/ 15.5/ 5.0
    FTAtt: 1.7/ 4.4/ 4.2/ 3.7/ 7.6/ 3.1
    Rebou: 8.3/ 8.8/ 11.6/ 9.2/ 9.5/ 13.2
    Assist: 1.5/ 1.2/ 2.4/ 1.2/ 2.3/ 0.5
    Steals: 1.1/ 0.9/ 1.2/ 0.8/ 0.8/ 0.3
    Blocks: 1.5/ 0.9/ 0.2/ 1.8/ 0.9/ 1.8
    '10 Sal: $8/ $4/ $15/ $7.5/ $15.8/ $6.9

Just want to show how these different big men bring different things to the table and what a wide range the prices are for their services.

FG%/ Poinst/ FG Attempts/ FTA: Bosh and Boozer score the most, take the most shots, and have the lowest FG% as a result. The biggest difference than I see here is that Bosh gets fouled almost twice as often as Boozer. According to this, Bosh would be our premium choice and Przybilla would be our budget choice.

Rebounding: Przybilla is the dominator in this category. Boozer is a clear 2nd and the rest are adequate.

Assists: This is probably just correlated with scoring ability. Bosh and Boozer get doubled and get easy assists by passing out of it. Still, it is a way that they get other players on the team open looks and it is valuable. 1 extra assist per game translates into 2 points though, so not a huge deal.

Steals: Booz is the best, Przybilla is by far the worst, and the rest are all bunched together.

Blocks: This is an important category for a big man, b/c for every shot they block, they also deter others from coming in the lane and affect shooters who know that they might be blocked. Darko and Przybilla are the best of the group in this stat. Sheed is 3rd. Bosh and Kwame are about the same. Boozer is noticably weak in this stat. Very out of place I would say.

Salary: for this number, I put what their next year's expected salary will be. IMO, Bosh and Boozer are getting full compensation for their scoring abilities. Kwame is a huge bargain for a decent defensive center. Darko is probably getting what he's worth. I think Przybilla is a good deal for us because of his domination on the board, but there are clear weaknesses in his offensive game.

So, after looking at this, we can go one of two different directions. 1) we can pay a premium for a big man that we can run our offense through, but won't give us the best defensive team. Or 2) we can get a rebounding/ defensive big man for cheap, but we will have to continue to build a team that is NBA 2.0... guard heavy, 3-point shooting, etc.

I could see either path working or failing.

If we go the Bosh or Boozer route, we risk having too much dependancy on one player if there is an injury.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is something that was mentioned in another article recently and it really bothers me. To put it in perspective, (per NBA.com stats) Herrmann's season average on BPG is 0.25, better than Boozer.

Given that the NBA of LeBron/Wade favors athletic players slashing to the rim, shot blocking ability becomes really really important. Not to mention a powerful block could fire up a team/crowd just as much as a thunder dunk can.
  4. Bender

Bender First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for the comparative info TaShawn. That really puts a light on some options that they have this summer. I think that for the money Przybilla is the best option. He is averaging just as many points as Sheed, shooting half as much as him, going to line a little more, and getting 5 more boards than he is. The only reason I am comparing, is that his production (Sheed) is what we are used to. He is 29, so he is younger than Antonio or Sheed. Also, the Pistons looked at him when Ben Wallace left, so they have a good idea what he is about. And besides, with a nickname like Ghostface Przybilla, come on now!!!! :)
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The problem with him is that he is not a free agent. But I figure that Portland would be a good trading partner for us since they have Oden/ Przybilla overlapping at C and since they need what we want to get rid of... stable, experienced vets like Tay and Rip. Also, if they had to throw in another player to make the trade work, they have lots of young, cheap players with upside. Rudy Fernandez for example.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Haven't the Pistons have enough cheap players these last few years?
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I am almost sure that for Dumars Boozer lacks "Pistons DNA" and will not give to Boozer 15something million.

Also I am almost sure that all this noise "Boozer likes Pistons" has been created by Boozers staff because of Pistons has room for 15something million salary.

Do not be surprised when boozer do not opt out...
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What they mean is that "Boozer likes Pistons' money"

In response, the "Pistons like Millsap" headlines may be fed from the Pistons org to get a little leverage on Boozer.

But we are in the dark, so who knows.