Another 5-game sweep?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, May 30, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

People have noted that these whiny, lethargic, bickering Pistons resemble the Lakers of 2004. So weigh in with your opinion: Do the Pistons come back fighting in Game 5, or will we taste the bitter irony and karmic symmetry of a homecourt loss?

I think we've lost the series, but my vote is that we win at least one more for sake of pride ... and maybe send it back to Miami tied, just so those Heat dirtbags can start sweating.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If the ultimate goal is a title, and we're working to the thinking that title hopes are dashed (ie. can't win 3 in a row against Miami), I would rather this squad bow out in Game 6 than a Game 7.

Changes are necessary and any false hope derived from a strong (but ultimately fatal) finish could keep the necessary adjustments from being made.

The only reason I would like to see a Game 5 win is because the Professor is going to his first Pistons game, and he deserves a victory for being such a great fan. Personally, I don't think I can watch much more of this.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its a tough call. I don't think the Pistons will win this series either way, but do I want them to lose at home, or do I want them to lose in Miami so that their fans can have the satisfaction? Either way, I'm not very happy.

Like Micro, I'd rather I was just put out of my miseries early. No sense prolonging the inevitable.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Come on now. Why can't the Pistons win 3 in a row against Miami?

We can win 2 in a row at home right? Just throw in a little game 6 magic and we're in the Finals.

I would put the odds at about 15% chance of success.
  5. jammertime

It depends on which Pistons you're talking about?

The Pistons we're used to, or the current "team formerly known as the Pistons"?

The Pistons we're used to could do it, no question. But the current team would have a hard time beating the Hawks or Bobcats in a 7 game series.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Guaranteed 6 games. The pistons could even win the series. They seem to do good when I don't watch. And Irefuse to suffer through this any longer lol.
  7. jammertime

Way to take one for the team Slippy!
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This is just a hunch, but if the Pistons win game 5 strong i beleive they can force a game 7, only to lose it at the Palace. Now that sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened.

The NBA would love for this to go 7 games. I know it`s kind of going overboard here, let`s see what happens.

Damn,:doh: am I a homer or what???
  9. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The roster needs to be updated and I don't want any miraculous come backs that would prevent Joe from re-evlauting this roster in a meaningful way. Barring a miracle this series is over. I hope they win Game 5 for pride.

Even with LB as coach the team squeaked by Miami last year. That should have be enough to tell Joe that some changes were needed.
  10. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I'll tell you if we will win game 5 once the game starts and we know who is reffing. This could've easily been a sweep.

The fact of the matter is the Pistons we knew for 88 games hasn't shown up in the past 10. 10 games like this. And such a sudden change! It's just like one day a bunch of dopplegangers took over the team. We have no reason to believe the pistons can win the next one, let alone 3 in a row.

It's entirely possible the pistons could snap out of it and they needed this to do it. But they have given NO indication of that capability this year and no one should be blamed for giving up on them.

The quotes and conferences after the game were pathetic. The only one pissed off is Ben and you can tell he's still holding back with his words. How can I care when even the players don't?
  11. roscoe36

That is a tough one. We are all fans for different reasons. I know having witnessed first hand how much passion and intensity the fans on this site bring to their love of the Pistons. But energy exchange is a two way street. It would be nice for these guys to show us something worth getting excited about.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Cmon guys you know you don't serious want the team to bow out early... there's too much pride for them to just roll over.... a win at home and there's definately hope.
    Joe is well aware of the shortcomings of this squad.... he's not affraid to pull the trigger because they won a couple more games... besides nobody's helping their trade value right now... I hope Sheed & Dice redeem themselves or it's gonna be a long ugly summer with no takers...

Hope they drop out early?... y'all just kidding yourself.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No takers is what I am afraid of Mercury. Yeah someone will give you back somebody decent for Ben, especially a team that needs defense and already has a potent center, but with the Sheenanigins of # 36 what can we get in return for him? Defenseless Dice may be our so called 6th man, but for other teams, he maybe just a role player.
  14. Dlev59

I think you hit the nail on the head about Ben being pissed. I don`t know if he is the only one, but he has to be more pissed than anyone else.

There is a picture in today`s Washington Post of Wade`s baseline stuff. In the picture Wade is shown with the ball going through the hoop, Ben is behind him and Sheed is about to take the ball out of bounds. If you look at the way Ben is looking at Sheed, well you have to see it it`s priceless!

Let`s put it this way, the last person Ben looked at like that was Ron Artest! I will try and inerpet the look: "Sheed, you mean to tell me you couldn`t even get in front of the kid, or just put your fu%$# hand up, or jump just a little? You are 6-11, you big mouth SOB. That`s being modest.

Washington Post 5/30/06, page 3, sports section.
  15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't know if this is how you meant it Roscoe, or if you were trying to summarize the feelings of others, but this feels a little "what have ya done for me lately", no?

I mean, these guys have done quite a bit for us to get excited about over the past few years. As you say, Roscoe, each fan is a fan for different reasons and I don't want to judge other people's commitment to the team -- that would seem really absurd and repellent. My enthuasiasm for the team doesn't depend on anybody else's or need to be measured against anybody else's.

But from my point of view, this team has given me far more excitement than disappointment. I'm certainly not excited about this trough in their play in the past few games. On the contrary, the games have been very frustrating, but for me this trough pales in comparison with the peaks of fine play, excitement, and energy.
  16. roscoe36

_Nope.
  17. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Is this it?

[​IMG]
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yessir, that looks like a pi$$ed looked to me. :ohwell:
  19. pistonsforever

pistonsforever Second Round Draft Pick

ok it has been hard on us and it is hard to think its been easy on our players. If these pistons really want to win this series, they still can. It is doable to win 3 straight against any team if you put in the effort and dig out your hunger. Our starters need to meet off the court without the presence of flip. They need to discuss the matter try to get the team concept back in them. I think it starts with chauncy and rip. Those guys are involved all games but they seem crippled to involve anyone else. They get going and then when they miss they just keep shooting. They need to tell sheed to post up and feed him the ball more. Id like to see the ball go through him everytime down the floor in our half court sets. I dont want to see no ill advised three and nothing out of the rotation. I want to see ben play defense and also call some plays for him like the infamous alley-hoop on that pick on roll that we havnt seen in so long. If the pistons do this and revive and actually show up to play some decent basketball, i think not only will they win game 5, but also carry the momentum back to miami. They need to look at this game by game and not look at ahead or even give up on themselves.
  20. Dlev59

THATS IT! CHECK THE LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!