Another Hall of Fame snub for Jack Morris

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

No offense to Bruce Sutter, but when the pitcher that is a distant 15th on the all-time saves list gets into Cooperstown and a big-game cat like Jack Morris isn't in, something is very wrong. I might have to organize a picket next year. Total BS. Trammell should be in, too.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

And along those lines, I have no idea how much the people on our forum care about whether or not the all-time hits leader of major league baseball will never get into the baseball hall of fame (I intentionally did not capitalize it).

He was banned from baseball for gambling and not reinstated, so he will never be there. However, we have drug users and people who sold drugs to kids and went to jail for it, reinstated and continued to play baseball. A couple of them were reinstated many times.

Gambling or selling drugs to kids--I know which is worse but the commissioner of baseball does not.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Jack was the man. I'd take him in a money game over anybody.
    Pete Rose is a hard head.

4. lazyberbs

Re: Thee TFD

Pete Rose is arrogant, a hardhead, and was stupid for not admitting his sins at the beginning and thereby getting Batholomew off his back.

But the guy had more hits than anybody who ever played the game, was the epitomy of a guy who did not have that much speed, talent, and such, but by sheer hustle and hard work, holds records that probably will never be broken.

The hall of fame is not for pure churchgoes, it is supposed to be for the top people who ever played pro baseball.

It is not a Hall of Fame without Rose in it. For that matter, Jack deserves to be there, as well. Until they get there, it is just a hall of fame.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Lazy -

I couldn't agree more. If they want to make entry into the Hall of Fame some ethical crusade then they need to spend just as much effort cleaning up the Hall of Fame as they do trying to keep Pete Rose out of it. Ty Cobb was a notorious racist and yet they keep him in Beantown. Can you say double standard? The Hall of Fame needs to be based strictly on the numbers in my humble opinion.

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think Pete should be in, too, if not merely from an educational standpoint. What a glaring omission for the young students of the game to not have the all-time hits leader there. I think his plaque should tell the whole story, however. It should mention what he did as a player and why he was banned as manager. Tell the whole story but don't leave him out.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

I'll agree, I think Pete should be in the HOF as well.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Pete Rose is baseball's whipping boy. His baseball 'sins' have nowhere near approached the impact on the game that the druggies have had.

I think almost everyone wants to see Rose in the HOF...except Selig. Rose will be put in the HOF after Selig retires.

Jack Morris...I don't think so :ohwell:

9. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

if mark mcsteroid can make it in the hall then pete rose better get in. all pete did was he bet on baseball he did not get juiced up and try to break a homerun record hell by the pete rose logic mark should be banned from the hall for not admitting it right off the bat.

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

As if other players from the south at that time weren't racist. How many players in the Hall of Fame today.

American Indians who played in the majors. Everyone knows about the crap that Jim Thorpe had to deal with and a lot of those throwing it are in the Hall of Fame today.

To single out Ty Cobb especially on a Detroil forum is well just odd to me.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/american_indian_baseball_players.shtml

11. MotownPride

The fact that most of the players at that time were racist does not take away from my point, but yet solidifies it...

...but to comment on your thoughts about singling out Ty Cobb. It is historians that have been quick to show him as an extreme case not myself.

"Tyrus Raymond "Ty" Cobb (December 18, 1886July 17, 1961), nicknamed "the Georgia Peach", was an American baseball player generally considered to be the greatest player of the "dead ball era" (19001920). Cobb is also famous for being a vitriolic racist (even supposedly shunning Babe Ruth for his allegedly black facial characteristics)" - Wikipedia

"Tempestuous Times
    Cobb mastered baseball, but he never mastered his temper. During his career he was involved in numerous fights, both on and off the field, and several profanity-laced shouting matches. A racist, Cobb once slapped a black elevator operator for being "uppity." When a black night watchman intervened, Cobb pulled out a knife and stabbed him. (The matter was later settled out of court.) On another occasion he climbed into the stands and savagely beat a spectator who had called him a "half-ni**er." " - New Georgia Encyclopedia

These are just a couple inserts. I won't proceed with any others because I already think he has received more attention by my hands than I would have liked. In short, he is considered one of the most intimidating, saditistic, heartless players in the history of the game. He wore his racist beliefs as a badge. The fact that he played for a Detroit team in my eyes makes him even more of an embarrassment.

And back to topic...

The fact that he is in the Hall of Fame versus a gambler is completely ridiculous.

Again, the Hall of Fame should be based strictly on the numbers.

12. lazyberbs

buddafan

I didn't say Cobb was a racist. I don't know if he was or was not. But I didn't say that.

13. buddahfan

Of course historians point out that Cobb was a racist, because he was the player that everyone loved to hate and still do, like Bad Boy Billy.

Cobb was a product of his age. A white southern born and raised in Augusta GA, which is in the deep south, during the heart of the reconstruction era in the 19th century. For him to have been anything else would have labled him an "African American Lover" and probably got him shot and killed if not strung up by the KKK.

The world today has no concept of what it was like in the deep South during the 19th century. In fact I can tell you that only about 10 years ago I was driving through the Alabama back woods at night and saw a massive KKK get together and cross burning.

I am not condoning what Cobb was just like I don't condone any biggotry, but the fact is people come down on him like he was vermon, which is not true. There is no evidence that he was a member of the KKK and any other White Supremecy group.

Cobb was a product of his times and the facts are that he was probably less of a racist then his contempories from the deep South.

14. MotownPride

yeah, I guess he was just misunderstood.

I'm sure he would be happy to know that there is at least someone left on the planet that will come to his defense though.

15. buddahfan

You are twisting what I am writing.

I never said or implied that he was misunderstood.

My only point is that he was singled out for being a racist more than any other HOF player and continues to be when he:

1. Was a product of his age and birth place

and where

there have been many more racist players in the HOF who got away with it without being made out to look like the evilist vermen like Cobb has been.

That is why Morris isn't in the HOF and Sutter is, because of people's prejudics in who they like and who they hate for among other things not being friendly with sports writers.

Sheed is another perfect example. Because he wouldn's and still won't kiss arse he has been and continues to get derided by out of town sport writers.

Morris was not exactly Mr. charming and Sutter played for the beloved Cubbies.

Cobb was a racist and biggot but no more so than most during his time.