Another Trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Nov 15, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

If thats the case with Amir then we have to start trading these guys a little earlier. Already his value is probably a lot lower than last year.

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Bingo...ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results

Some reasons:
    • Stoudemire wants to be the go-to leader and he is not happy with his current position. His flexibility will now be further limited with the addition of J. Richardson (one year older, 27). In short, Stoudemire wants out.
    • SF for Phoenix is a weak spot and Tay will help with this hole come playoff time. Amundson, Dudley and Barnes while serviceable, will not bring the stability that they need at this position.
    • Amir and JMax bring an energy off the bench which will combine nicely with Barnes, Barbosa, Lopez,Tucker and Richardson to give rest for Hill, Shack, and Nash.
    • Phoenix gains in experienced youth and adds an all-around defensive player who will stabilize a presence during the playoffs.

• Detroit finally gets a PF who wants the reigns to steer the whole club forward. He will get that with the Pistons.
    • This plugs a hole for the club, because it allows JD to move forward with the flexibility he has worked hard to obtain.
    • The club has mobility at the PF spot and this opens up an offensive juggernaut, via the SG and PG spots.
    • Defensively the club is weaker, but the league has now moved toward offensive sets. The new offensive minded youngster coming into the league are all above-the-rim athletes. Since defense is mental, it might be an opening for the right coaching methods.
    • If JD keeps Curry, then at least he should meet him half-way and give him something who is strong enough to carry this team.
    I could add about a dozen more options, but you get my drift. This is the only method to build on for the present and gives you some interesting options for the future.

3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing I don't get is that MC started Amir for the first 7 games of the year, where we went 5-2. We only had CB for 2 of those games, we had no CB or AI for 2 of those games, and we had a lost AI for the last 3 of them. Pretty tough stretch for the team, but we were still looking good.

Curry mentioned that Amir brings things that don't show up in the stat sheet, but that help the team win. So, of course, when you look at the stats like +/- and production of the man he's guaranding... and team success, Amir looks like a stud. When you look at the box score, he looks like nothing special.

For a while we got reports on how highly Amir was grading out on MC's propriatary scoring system, and then all info and feedback stopped. It's like Amir hit on Curry's wife or something.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That would be crushing to me. Sheed is the one Piston I like as a person. The rest of these guys, I pretty much evaluate them exclusively on how they play.

If this is true, then it means Joe has lost control of the situation and is not only giving up on this year, but maybe next year as well.

6. anakin

I like Sheed too, temperamental, but transparent to a fault. He seems to be a genuinely good guy. I think Joe is hedging his bets i.e. AI was brought in to shake things up and free up cap space i.e. leaving the door open for an iffy year and re-building. Sheed or some other Piston(s) may be part of the latter equation. His expiring contract is definitely nice and he may be someone else's part of the puzzle. Much as I hate it, a good GM has to keep his options open and look at the state of the team. I think the window is fast closing or closed. The legacy left w/ CB's departure.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, all good things come to an end. I really wasn't ready to face up to it.

The thing is, I subconsciously acknowledge that this stuff is going on all the time, but for it to leak out when the Pistons org. is soooooo tight lipped and in control of the media, this is bad for team morale.

You have to wonder what AI, Rip etc are thinking about this.

8. anakin

Agree, the Pistons started w/ such a bang i.e. LB coaching and a ring, that expectations were sky high. Disappointed to say that it feels like the team fell short of it's potential. I gotta think the guys i.e. Sheed, Rip, Tay, know where this team is likely headed in the short term.

Much as I hate the losses I love the idea of building a team from the ground up w/ a great bunch of drafts (Stuck??) and guys that become a fixture of the team. I hope we get our Tim Duncan one of these days. If it all ended for Pops and the Spurs today, the run has been nothing short of remarkable.

9. anakin

DETNEWS | Weblog | Terry Foster's Blog

Posted by Terry Foster (The Detroit News) on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 6:57 AM McDyess must repair divided Pistons

You don't know how badly the Pistons need power forward Antonio McDyess.
    They need the guy more off the court than on. If you hadn't noticed, the Pistons are dying a slow death. They are losing games in stunning fashion and there seems to be a disconnect between teammates.
    This must be a very religious team because they've taken the last five Sundays off. They lost their first four Sunday games by an average of 16.8 points and fell behind 58-29 during Sunday's 104-92 loss to the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden. It was a game in which the Pistons missed 14 of 16 three-point attempts and were beaten up on the boards 51-36 by the anemic Knicks.
    Contd............................................

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm with you. I hope it's just a rumor. That will signal a full-rebuild.

edited to add;

I just saw where/who wrote that. NVM. Not a reliable source at all.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We have to look at the source of the info guys. An Eastern Conference GM. It could be the Celtics or Cavs GM's floating this out there to mess with the already frustrated Pistons chemistry. If the Pistons get it together they will be a dangerous ball club. They just need to play as a team and have each others back.

I don't see Sheed going anywhere. It doesn't make much sense. Why would you trade from a position of weakness? Our frontline is swiss chesse. We have too many guards. Unless we are landing Amare, Boozer or Bosh in return it doesn't make much since to trade Sheed. The only way this may be legit is if Sheed has told Joe D. he wants out. I highly doubt that.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd take Dirk for Sheed + Acker or Max.

Maybe Joe is calculating that none of the free agents in the next 2 years will actually want to come to Detroit, expecially if we are not a place where a Championship looks likely.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

See the problem with Dirk is if you're going to get him, you have to put him next to Sheed not trade Sheed; otherwise the improvement is very minimal. What we make up on offense, we give back on defense 10x.

14. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

So true!!!! He is almost identical to Sheed without the defense. I hate the fact that smaller ppl can slow him down and every shot is a fade-away!!

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our defense is gone. Doesn't exist anymore.

Also, Dallas would never make this trade. I was just saying that obviously I would accept it because it is so one sided in our favor.

Dirk scores more than twice as many points, gets twice as many assists, and even outrebounds Sheed. He also shoots a higher % from the field, from the 3-point line, and much higher from the FT line. He's younger.

In his last 6 games, he scored 46, 23, 35, 24, 39, 29.

What's to hate?

Defense? In opponents FG%, Dallas ranks 4th behind Boston, Cleveland, and Denver. Dallas has the 2nd highest rebounding total in the league.

How bad can Dirk be?

16. max

max All-Star

From that article.
    Things like this is why the Pistons have only won 1 championship with that core. Dumars has to bring a new culture in here.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

But in order to build a championship culture/team, the players have to get that close, so it's a damned if you do . . .scenario.

Besides that's speculation (albeit good speculation), but still it's an opinion.

DAL starts Erick Dampier next to Dirk. Dirk is very bad on his own, very, very bad.

18. max

max All-Star

Yes but the East is so much tougher now. I think we all know that if the Pistons were out West then some of those ECF's losses would have been 2nd round defeats.

I think you just have to get lucky, find the right guy at the right time.

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm not trying to spark something, but people think Dirk can't play defense because he is just some skinny white stiff. Not as good as Sheed of course, but he's NOT bad. Hell, he's not bad at ALL.

He's a solid defender, and an underrated defender in the post. He usually outplays Sheed. Hell, the only time Sheed outplays him is when Dirk doesn't bother to guard the three. And for what he doesn't bring on defense, he torches his opposing man time and time again.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, No way. The Pistons have problems with the defensive-grind out teams like BOS,CLE, etc. They have a better record against the West, and i think would have made it the finals at least twice if they played out there. The west also doesn't have the FT boys, Wade,LBJ, etc. either.

The east has won 2 out of the last 3 championships, and who can forget Dirk's choke job in the finals.