Another Walt Hermann Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 5, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I would like to have posted a poll, however, since I have very limited advanced computer knowledge, I will just go with what I know.

- Should Hermann get regular minutes as the backup for Tay
    - Did he play well enough to earn minutes instead of utilizing J Hayes
    - Should Hermann's defensive presence earn him more minutes
    - Would you put him back on the inactive list and just let Hayes shoot himself out of his slump

It appears to me that Flip has recognized that Hayes inconsistency might be a detriment to the team and he is just not willing to put Hayes on the floor right now.

Hence Hermann. I think if Hermann gets into a groove and starts dropping those long armed finger rolls, it's "goodnight Irene", I mean Jarvis.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think that defensively, Walt matches up with TurkeyGlue and Ra Lewis pretty well. Arvis would be pretty useless against those guys.

I also like the fact that Walt annoys the heck out of whoever he's playing against. Even Pat Garrity (who should have been happy enough just to get off of the bench and stretch his legs) was bothered by Herrmann.

I thought that Walt made a bigger impact than what the boxscore indicated in game 1.

I think Amir can have a similar impact as well.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did anyone notice how Jarvis refused to pass to a wide open Herrmann in the corner at the end of last game's GT? He thought about it and then decided to go with the forced jumper over 2 defenders instead.

The other thing that I noticed about Herrmann's play was that he was noticably not looking to score. It was as if he knew that he was getting PT for his defense and hustle and he wasn't going to shoot himself in the foot by chucking up a bunch of shots. Probably a smart strategy.

Overall, he seemed effective as a role player and big 3 defender, but we'll have to see more to know.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd go for Affalo first behind Tay and keep Hermann and Hayes in reserve.

- Walt if you need someone bigger

- Hayes if you need three point shots

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am pretty sure Walt can shoot the 3 pointer just as good as Arvis

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I go with Walter and let Afflalo back up Rip. Also wouldn't mind seeing Amir try his hand a little bit here and there. I think he could have a much bigger impact with his size and quickness then the other two.

7. dba

0.376 for Hayes

0.289 for Walt as a Piston
    0.346 for Walt as a Bobcat
    0.313 overall for 2008

8. Delfino Delivers

I wonder if that might have to do with playing half the minutes that Arvis did and playing with the second/third unit.

The number of open shots created by the second unit via the "drive and dish" are probably significantly lower.

9. armygirl

I saw that too Tashawn, I didn't think anyone else noticed that. Jarvis definitelty deferred on that one, (To himself).

10. armygirl

Hermann has the sweetest finger roll than I have seen in a very long time. It is an unorthodox type of shot, I ust love watching that long-armed roll.

11. dba

Hard to know. He only averaged about ten minutes per game played in Detroit - seven minutes in Charlotte (appeared in more games with Detroit than with Charlotte). Hayes averages just under sixteen minutes, but played in three times the number of games.

If I only have one shot for a three to win the game, I'd rather have Hayes out there (assuming the rest of the team has fouled out). If I need somebody to stop the other team I'd rather have Walt. If I need somebody to create a shot on their own, between the two, I'll hope next year is better.

12. Delfino Delivers

Unfortunately I like Delfino in all three of the above scenarios. :MusicBigGrin:

13. dba

Alas...

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Jarvis Hayes = better shooter
    Walt Herrmann = better basketball player

15. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

It is difficult to compare Walter and Jarvis directly, since W never got any real 2qtr minutes during regular season, with Dallas (guarding Nowitzki) game as an exception.
    His march-april 07 statistic (Charlotte), when he (only then) played 20+ minutes shows something about his scoring capabilities. He already has 30+ game - something Jarvis couldn't do in six years - not to compare shooting %...
    Still his biggest advantage is his blue collar attitude - and Pistons lost some of it during last few years.
    Walter is a great fighter and he ALLWAYS (I know his games for Argentina national team also) brings everything on the floor.
    Now he looks a little rusty (not entirely his fault), but still better replacement (than Hayes) for Prince anyway.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I am glad Hermann is getting some burn. I think he is an upgrade over Jarvis. Hermann hustles and looks for his team mates first. I did see Jarvis pass up a wide open Hermann so he could jack up a brick. I just shook my head. Jarvis doesn't seem to get it.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not that it matters much, since we are not going to start Herrmann, but he has proven an excellent 3 point shooter when he has started. For the Bobcats, he started the last 20 games last season, averaging just under 20 points a game while shooting an incredible 60% plus from behind the 3 point line.

From what I have seen, it is perfectly ok to bring in Herrmann for a few moments here and there. But overplaying him would be a mistake as the other team would find a way to exploit his poor foot speed.