1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Are NBA Players Athletes?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 20, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Insights of Dennis Hans
    Any blog post that compares Lee Trevino and Greg Ostertag gets two :thumb: :thumb:

2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

An impressive troll. :p_welldone:

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Well, I don't think Rasheed is in the tip top shape. Pistons still will take him. What does that prove? You have players like Curry who do not look like they are an athlete in the peak form. Remember Oliver Miller? That guy was hillarious. I guess if you have enough talent and potential you don't really need to be an "athlete" so to speak.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You could say that the bigger the player is the less athletic he needs to be. If you are Earl Boykins, playing in the NBA, you are a world class athlete.

5. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

All of these guys are great athletes despite weight or muscular. I don't think any of us truly knows what it takes to play an 82 game season plus playoffs.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko is also searching for this answer. :pound:

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Doesn't Darko sell popcorn at halftime? I thought it was part of the contract.........

8. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Most of the players would not call themselves athletes. Most would call themselves afletes. :pound: :pound: :pound:

9. explosivity

What is that supposed to mean? I am not going to assume anything but that to me is somewhat borderline.

:tape2:

10. Buckeyes#1

Lighten up explosivity. EVERY segment of society has their own pronunciations. EVERY. I'm a northerner living down here in the south. For some reason, the kids crack up every time I say the word car. And I crack up every time I hear them say the word ten (teeeeein). We laugh at each other and don't get bent out of shape. Nobody is stupid.

True story. Three years ago, I had to go to my dad's funeral. Very sad occasion indeed as you can imagine. Nothing funny about going to your dad's funeral. What made it even more sad was I lost my mother a few years earlier, so it is compounded sadness when you lost both. Very lonely and sad feelings. Well, the preacher that was doing the funeral was from England. And he was making the point that when we get to heaven, there is no more pain. But you have to understand how the English people say pain. They prounounce it peeein. So we were all sitting there sad and crying and the preacher says when we get to heaven, there will be no more peeein. I tell you it jolted every one of us that was in there. All the little kids thats were in there started to laugh and the adults were keeping a straight face. The problem is he kept hammering it home. After several times, everyone was smiling but the preacher. He couldn't understand what he said that was so funny.

If you are tempted to think that I think black people are stupid, you are incorrect. Right at this very moment, I have an Algebra 1 class that has 20 students in it. One of them is black and he is heads and shoulders above the rest of the class. Every thing I say, he is the first one to get it. So no, I don't believe blacks are intellectually inferior to whites, if that is what you were tempted to assume.

11. explosivity

K, thanx for the insight and sorry about your parents. I haven't lost a parent so I can only imagine the pain you have gone through these past couple years.

:peace:

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Hans' article is useful because it challenges an accepted cliche. Maybe "specimens" is a better word that "athletes." Very few people are that tall, and the ability to move gracefully or with coordination whittles a small group down even more. These are rare human beings, no question.

On the other hand, "athletic" has always been one of those fuzzy words people don't define. Is it running and jumping only? That's what most seem to accept. But what about great hand/eye skill? Versatility in multiple sports? Or strength-to-size ratio such as the ant-like Mr. Boykins, who benches double bodyweight?

If NBA players fall short these days, it's probably because they don't ever train in anything but basketball. Long ago great NBA athletes like a Joe Caldwell or Wilt Chamberlain would run track. Randy Smith was an All American soccer player. Many guards were fine quarterbacks. All that cross-training probably helped in ways that 100 AAU games a year won't.

13. Buckeyes#1

No problem. Now you want to here something funny. As I was thinking about this a few hours ago as I was working on my house, you should here a black man talk that is from England. Very funny stuff. We are all used to hearing white people with an English accent, but I never heard a black man talk that way before. I'm not making fun of them. It's just vrey different and that is what makes it funny. Kind of reminds me of those old Marvin Hagler commercials where he would be talking about "being civilized". Marvin Hagler was one tough dude. That's what made the commercial so funny cause he was trying to talk all snooty and proper. That's what makes this world so interesting. Even though we have alot of similarities, there are alot of variety just to spice things up and keep it loose. You know what I think it really attractive. A girl with a German accent. Very pretty indeed. And of course, our friends down under. One of the greatest teacher's I have seen is that crocodile hunter. Such enthusiasm! I enjoy hearing those people talk too.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think they are athletes. They have to run up and down the court. You don't see guys tanking it like you do at the Y sometimes. Are they BETTER athletes that some other major sports players? I dunno.