Are The Heat Better than last year?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, May 26, 2006.

?

Are the Heat better than Last year?

1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. No difference

5.6%
  1. max

max All-Star

I say yes. They had to take a step back to accomodate the 8 new players and Pat Riley. When compare records with our team over the past 2 months of the reg season I believe the 2 teams are about on par.

They have improved their guards with Williams/Payton. Posey is a nice addition. Walker takes way too many shots but at least he is there.

Trying to point out that this round is going to be a dog fight. Home court is all about having game 7 on your court if needed.

2. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Amazingly, I think they are better. I say amazingly because I was convinced at the beginning of the year that the roster changes were a step in the wrong direction and I wasn't sure that Riley would be any more effective than SVG.

Riley's still sharp though, his experience is unparalleled, and he always, always gets solid effort out of his players.

As for the new guys, they're fitting in nicely. Williams is effective when under control, and Payton is an excellent "closer" -- not as quick as he used to be obviously, but he's smart and he knows how to get it done in playoff situations.

'Toine has been a revelation. I really like him in this "complementary option" role. If he's the star, he can be pushed around a bit, goaded into trying too many ill-advised 29 footers etc. But as the third guy? He's very talented and adds a lot to the team. Posey's just a solid guy to have around, and makes up some of the perimeter D that was lost when Eddie Jones left town.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

riley is a better coach. still kinda shaky at point guard. i think posey is similar to eddie jones but less offense. walker is a matchup problem if he is on.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I say yes... but not because of the new players.
    I think Wades playoff experience and working two years with Shaq has has his confidence at a high level...
    I'm not convinced that JWill isn't more negative than positive when you consider his defense and penchants for jacking bad shots.
    Jones or Posey?... tough call...Jones was more polished especially for the playoffs... Posey could be a younger Jones clone next year though .
    Walker?... I dunno... that opinion changes daily... he can be the anti-Shaq when he's tossing up 26 footers.... we'll see on that one.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes, but barely - better coaching, better talent on paper at least, but another year on Shaq, Zo, and the Glove.

6. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

I voted no, but Riley is the better coach, definitely. But Shaq isn't what he used to be, although he'll get his points, he has slowed down. I see this team with their 2 stars with their other role players being good in streaks. But when Haslem, Posey, Williams, Payton, Walker, etc. are off.........they aren't winning anything. The regular season exposed them. They had an awful record against teams over .500, although there has been a lot of improvement so far in the playoffs. I still saw a stronger bonded team last year, IMHO.

I see the Pistons winning this series in a tough battled 7 game series. GO PISTONS!!!

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I still think it was a horrible move to trade Eddie Jones. If Chauncey starts doing good:mad::frusty: than we'll see how bad Jason Williams is.

8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Nope. Their big gun has sunk to a substantially lesser version of his 2003 Finals self. He is more foul prone. Guards now take the ball when he dribbles. The league no longer respects / allows his "power game". I don't think Shaq can produce a 30 pt game anymore.

All the new guys were brought in with the belief they could work off of open space created by Shaq.

9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Overall no. Offensively, yes.

As these playoffs go on, (this series will be the end) all will see how this team is not better than last years. Defensively Eddie Jones and Keylon Dooling casued problems for the Pistons in the post season.

Defense will be the reason for their season ending against Detroit.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I changed my ming. They're better.

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It looks to me like there's one reason the Heat are better than they were last year: Wade has elevated his game to an even higher level than seemed possible. Did anyone think he'd be shooting 70% in the first 4 games of this series?

Riley's overhaul of the supporting cast doesn't even seem to be much of a factor, if you ask me. Several of them played really well in Game 1, but then they all sucked in Game 2, and the only one who played big last night was Haslem, who was already in the line-up last year. Payton and Posey did hit a couple of shots last night, but even a clown like Damon Jones can occasionally hit a 3 if he's wide open by a mile.

Riley does deserve credit for getting their chemistry working well at just the right time, but did he need to swap out half the roster to do it? I don't see why he couldn't have gotten this result by keeping last year's Heat team together, unless the personnel changes are the reason for Wade's ascendance to a super-high level of dominance, which doesn't seem very logical to me. Shaq's been good, but he's been past the point where he can be the difference maker for at least a couple of years now. Wade has just taken over.

12. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Didn't really look into exact stats but I believe the Heat are averaging only around 90pts in this series. With Wade pulling in about 30-31pts. Under normal circumstances I would have looked at these type of numbers and thought the Pistons would have a more than fair chance of winning the series. The Heat are doing what they need to do, credit to them. The Pistons are underperforming by a signficant margin so its hard to say if the Heat are that much better than last year. Wade is better by virtue of experience. But I wouldn't make that summary for the entire team.

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's right, anakin. Heat are averaging 91.5 so far in this series.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think we, as a nation of Pistons fans have become a little arrogant ourselves.

If the scores were reversed, with the Pistons winning, we would be lauding them for their great defense and clutch scoring.

Make no mistake, Miami is playing at the highest level of all the playoff teams. The only consolation we have is that the Pistons are being beat by a very good and well coached team with 2 superstars.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They are only better because they added a better coach with championship rings and Wade's game has improved more so than any of the Pistons. Their supporting cast is much better that ours even though we don't want to admit it.:mad:

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Both Dallas and Phoenix would destroy Miami unless Shaq is allowed to go back to his patented elbow in the face post move everytime.

17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Don't know about the Suns but I can see the Mavs taking it to the Heat. That offense won't bog down over 7 games.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If this has already been address I apologize... but the Heat are much better than last year simply because they're healthy this year.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Folks take the blinders off. Hell yeah they're better. If y'all watched the playoff games that the pistons weren't playing in you'd see.

#1- You don't miss Eddie Jones. Why? Because Wade has vastly improved as a defensive guard, Wade has PROVEN that he can lock down any one of our perimeter players. He can stay with Chauncey because he's just as strong as CB and won't get pushed out of the way. He stays with Rip off the ball and when Rip catches he nor Tay have the ability to use their height advantage over him because his strength, quick hands, timing and leaping ability are just amazing.

#2- Give The Player Fomerly Known as Fatoine some props will ya. Dude is slimmer, playing smarter and causes matchup problems on the offensive end, He can also beat any of our 4's down the floor baseline to baseline. Toine has finally figured out his role on this team and is thriving in it. Say what you will but 'Toine can Shoot, dribble drive, post up, pass and rebound.......A great 3rd option if their ever was one.

#3- Williams......Is an upgrade over Damon Jones, from this perspective, he brings more speed to the backcourt, and he can see the floor well. Haslem is young and can get up the floor along with Wade and Walker. The Jones', while better Shooters made this a half court team. Do not be fooled ,4 of their starting 5 can really thrive in an uptempo game.

#4- Riles still knows this game, man it's just so easy for him it ain't even funny.

#5- As Merc said, they're healthy, that alone makes you better than last year.

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if talent wise they're better than last year, but they're 1) healthier and 2) have a bigger chip on their shoulder.

But the biggest factor is 3) the Pistons are playing much, much worse. Its much easier to kill an opponent when the opponent keeps shooting themselves.