Are the Pistons doing everything they can to win?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by anakin, Mar 8, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

From The Oakland Press:
    The heat won't rise on Davidson and Dumars if the Pistons keep winning, but they looked tired on their recent road trip. They are starting to lose the type of games they were routinely winning.

Flip Saunders, who replaced Brown as coach, wasn't all that successful in the playoffs with Minnesota. Could it be he doesn't handle his bench well, his teams wear down and peak too early?

Granted, the standards set by Davidson and Dumars are high, but can they honestly look you, the fans, in the eye and say they are doing everything possible to win the NBA title this year?

Not when the term luxury tax comes out of Dumars' mouth. Not when the Pistons have so much in their starting lineup and so little coming off their bench - and didn't do anything about it.
    It's not only perplexing, it's disappointing.

My fears exactly. I know the win now club has been saying we have all we need to win now, and that's all we should be worried about. But it seems we've let a lot of guys go that could help us now, because Joe and our coaches don't want to take the time, or risk a few games, in regular season to help us in the playoffs.

In the championship run, we had Mike James and Okur, to give us a boost, even though LB wasn't happy with them, or used them to their full abilities. The Pistons seem far too content with recycled vets that may have be past their primes, but are a known quantity.

I really believe that a couple of young guys like Smush, Delfino, and Darko, if given a chance last season could have been all that was needed to help us repeat. We could have won then, and had a better chance of winning now.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's an interesting theory 16. You see last year apparently as a failure and the way to get us over the hump would have been to play Delfino(injured), Smush Parker(an inconsistent turnover prone youngster) or your boy Darko(the sullen sandbagging Serb).
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Personally, I think the key to winning it all last year would have been playing Sheed, Dice, and Ben until they fouled out.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If, and a big if, Darko, Smush, and Delfino had been used more by LB during the regular season, we'd have Delfino as the backup 3, an upgrade over Darvin; Darko as the backup to Dice, again an upgrade over Darvin; and Smush sharing minutes with Lindsey, giving LB the option of going with Defense or Offense at the backup point. IMO, this improves the squad, even if only by a little. And when you go to game 7 in the finals, every little bit counts.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

big

if
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree that we could have (and should have) done more with Cato's contract... but on the other hand... if Cato gets healthy and can help deter Shaq then that's exactly the move we needed to make.

I don't mind Caputo challenging Joe D or Davidson...
    Mr. D needs to be challenged for his reluctance to pay to keep a winner.
    Fortunately Joe has always managed to make fine wine out of rotting grapes... is his magic bag of tricks about to run out?

Heaven knows we've seen enough azz kissin' from the media... it's nice to know someone's not in their hip pocket for a change.
    Let's see if Caputo gets an more interviews. lol
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm not a fan of pat caputo - i don't think basketball is the main sport he pays attention to, and he doesn't even mention delk, or list alternative players that we could have picked up. he makes it sound like this was after the season ended during the free agent signing period.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Very good point... we know that Joe did try to pick up other PG's... sounds like the price was too high.
  10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I think my issue is with appearance of complacency i.e. the Pistons are good enough as is attitude. I don't think there was a sense of urgency in making an effort to upgrade the team in either the off-season or trade deadline. If the right deal came along then fine.

Question is which team will give up anything worthwhile to a winning club without extracting their pound of flesh? The championship window is open only so long.

Of course all is well if the Pistons win it all, Joe will continue to look like a genius. If they fall short then this question will definitely come up.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Delfino wasn't injured, which is why some of us were so disapointed when he was left off the Playoff Roster in favor of Dorko.
  12. basketbills

hmmm

Seem to recall a couple of knee surgeries.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yeah, prior to the playoffs. He played in the regular season AFTER his knee injury. He wasn't injured at playoff time.
  14. basketbills

Well it depends on if you believe Joe Dumars or not I guess. I believe him...here is what he said about Delfino not making the playoffs..

Delfino the odd man out, left off roster; Argentine had been hurt most of season.(Sports). The Grand Rapids Press (Grand Rapids, MI) (April 22, 2005): pE8
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

we still got delk, and in his first game against the lakers he played great D and hit big shots.
  16. roscoe36

This has been bothering me all afternoon.

It wouldn't matter who we added, Flip is playing a short rotation. I can't honestly say he has developed Delfino, Mo etc at all.

I will say this. I thought there was too much complacency with the roster last year. Trading Campbell for Arroyo, signing the feel good story Horace Jenkins, losing Big Nasty for Coleman.

Maybe LB would not have played Al Harrington in the playoffs. Maybe he would have been a bad fit. And maybe Joe should have went with a trade of Darko to Atlanta for Harrington (help now) and Diaw (help later).

Last season, I just felt like the gun was one chamber short of being loaded. This year, I feel that the gun is loaded but we're scared to shoot.
  17. max

max All-Star

Delfino could be playing more would be my main complaint. His numbers and defense are not great but he seems to make things happen.

What this all boils down to was losing Arroyo. Was it a good move to mess with the bench chemistry that was starting to gell? Time will tell. We know Hunter and Delk will provide better defense at least and thats whats going to be needed against guys like Wade and Parker.

My other complaint would be cutting Cato. Citing that the Pistons have no plans of re-signing him as an excuse falls short. Is Delk going to be retained? Hunter? Huner will probably retire.

Dumars has gotten burned in a few playoff series for lack of front court depth ( BOS 02, NY 03 and SAN 05).

Other than that I am saving my main critique of this team pending the post-season. Winning 64-66 games and an NBA title is about as good as it gets.
  18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Quiet as it's kept, I think Joe is really high on Acker and especially Amir. If Amir is the future at SF, we prolly only need one more season out of a backup 3. Neither Evans or Delfino excite me. Certainly neither is at the level of say a "Nasty." Delfino could change that if he ever gets untracked.

Joe may look to FAs to bolster the bench. Stackhouse anyone?

Plus a big man if Cato can't hang.

We've got two 1st round picks in 07. A center and a PG would do nicely.
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

how would drafting a backup center and pg fit into the "win now" frame of mind??? can't have it both ways. isn't that dumb drafting exactly what you traded away??

i know joe wil look to free agents. anybody that's old and has an injury or heart condition is exactly what he's looking for.

the problem isn't our roster we had great talent and still have some left on our bench. the problem is getting a coach to play a guy that has less than 9 years experience.
  20. roscoe36

Actually no it isn't dumb. Managing salary plays a part. They'll clear the money off the books now, and put off paying another high first round deal until 2007/8. That's smart. Kinda like no money down, no payments for a year.

Besides, that 2007 pick is a tradeable asset I believe. They cannot trade their own 1st rounder in consecutive years ('06 was for Arroyo), so they now have a tradeable 1st rounder to put on the table next season if they need help.