1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Are You Comfortable With Nazr Mohammed As Our Starting Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 6, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons were 20-13 with Nazr starting last year. With Sheed, Prince, Billups and Hamilton starting, you don't necessarily need a huge scoring threat as your fifth starter. You need a role player to do some dirty work (rebound, play defense, set picks, etc.).

To improve on last season, what the Pistons really need is a better scoring punch off the bench. Having Nazr start each half and play about 20 minutes per game will be just fine if Detroit can develop a group of 4-5 guys to come off the bench and provide some points, defense, and energy. Will McDyess, Amir, Maxiel, and Stuckey be that group? We'll find out soon enough.

So, to answer the question, yes, I am comfortable with Nazr Mohammed as our starting center.

2. max

max All-Star

20 - 13? I did not realize it was that many wins. Thats extrapolates to a 50 wins season which is about where the team ended.

I do think that if the Pistons are to succeed then they are going to need Maxiel and Johnsons athletisism.

3. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

lee you gotta switch to decaf
    Nazr failed to score over another c in the post???? wtf??

You have seen the high life commercials right YouTube - Miller High Life Commercial - $11.50 Hamburger take the last 4 words to heart

4. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

I think we'll be fine with Nazr starting next year. Nazr should only play around 20 minutes or less. But, I think we still should trade him if we can.

:nerd2:

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Also better perimeter defense will help keep naz out of situations where he needs to cover. its not his strong suit

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

my question is- what are the alternatives? CWebb maybe. Not really that much better. Dyess? Another jumpshooting big who's afraid to take it inside.
    DD? He's like 40 and it's still not sure he'll be on the team next year (or is it?). AJ or JMax? Both still need to prove alot.
    Of course, I'd rather go with a Wilcox at the 5, but there are worse C's than Nazr around. Pistons won't win the ship anyway in the next couple of years.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watch every game at least twice. I believe I would have caught it if Mohammed managed to score over a center while working the post. What did happen? Time after time, if Mohammed was guarded by a center, he would shoot a fade shot and come up short. Always short. If you remember a time he made that fade of his, please let me know.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am uncomfortable with this answer Mikhail. I remember reading that Sheed and Nazr could not play well together at all. Late on defensive assignments i.e.

Nazr's minutes were slowly dwindling prior to Webber's arrival.

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's not nice to assasinate forum members characters. Ignorance is not a word that should be used with pistons fans period.

I haven't met an ignorant pistons fan my entire time on pistonsforum.com, they all have their varying opinions whether or not we agree or disagree.

10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe, but you do need valuable contributions from the position and it was very clear to all that Nazr wasn't providing a fraction of the contribution that a "declining" malcontent was. As Abe stated if Nazr is only worse than about 30 of the PF/Cs in the league then that's every team in the league including us that has a C better than Nazr. I think that leaves some room for a replacement strategy.

If Abe feels Nazr was the "best choice" at the time, then the Pistons should have made NO CHOICE instead of giving this bum $30 Mil.

11. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

So if no one likes Nazr, then start Dyess at center. Dyess makes more money. And why should Dyess get a free pass by being brought off the bench for 20 minutes a game against the opositions 2nd unit?

12. Mr.Shady

Mr.Shady First Round Draft Pick

I doesnt mean nothing, that with our four stars we dont need a fifth to be a good scoring machine. You guys saw the last season...4stars and 1 bad center...Did we win? Did we make it to the finals? the answer is HELL NO!
    So lets just get the best fifth man, possible.

13. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I agree with everything except maybe Flip being negative trade value just because he's cheap, has a year left, and is somewhat usable. I think one of Nazr's key qualities is his attitude. How many 5 mill Centers would step aside and sit on the bench mid way through the season for no reason other than a better guy came along... Not only did Nazr do that, he also kept on conditioning and practicing just waiting to help the team at any point when he was called upon.

I rem thinking during the Clev series that Nazr was going to be our secret weapon due to his relative defensive/offensive success against Ilguaskus, the guy was ready.

I'm all for trading for a better big, but that better big needs to understand that he'll be a single piece in our Pistons machine. He'll be playing 5th fiddle most of the time, and therefore must consider himself a role player on the team.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Nazr did what I expected last season. 7-10 points, 4-6 boards, 15-25 mpg. I think that the Pistons paid too much for that kind of production though. I am comfortable with Nazr as our starting center because it won't last long. Either someone new comes (last season it was C Webb, unfortunately Flip's plays did not utilize Webber's passing skills), or he will play the regular season but once the playoffs start J Max, Amir, Dice, and Sheed get all the minutes at PF/C.

The Pistons might as well try playing Nazr and making him look good. That is the only way their will be a chance at trading him. If he rides the bench he will just stay here.

15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The problem with Nazr starting is that not only is he not talented enough to start, but his getting into quick foul trouble, which he did in most games that he started last year.

Why.

1. Because it forces us to go to the bench early which messes up the rotations.

2. It gets us into the penalty situation a lot faster in the first quarter, which is never a helpful thing to happen to you if you want to win the game.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Naz was 1/3 the man Ben was and at $5 a year, that's relative to a $16 mil Wallace. I agree that we should have stood pat and used Davis but looking at the start of the season, Joe needed SOMEONE at the position. You can't count on a Webber coming in.

So my challenge (sans beer wager) is for you (and anyone else) to come up with an upgrade over Nazr that is realistic.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good point on the foul trouble...

Detroit News 11/2

Detroit News 11/9

Detroit News 11/24

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

As of right now. Do you think Milwaukee would do this trade?

RealGM: Trade Checker

Trade ID: #4168920

I remember Gadzuric having a ton of energy when the Pistons faced the Bucks, but he was rarely used.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur with this comment Himat. As long as Nazr rides the pine he will not "shine" enough to be of value to anyone who may be looking for a back-up. We need to play him and show that the Pistons are successful dispite whatever shortcomings he may have in contributing to that success. Him getting several DNP/Coaches desicions" for the last two months did not help his already low trade value...