Are you watching the NHL?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Jan 14, 2006.

?

Are you watching the "new" NHL?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2006.
  1. Yes, more than ever.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I always have watched the NHL.

9.1%
  3. Yes, but less than previous years.

45.5%
  4. No, I never watch the NHL.

45.5%
  1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Are you watching the "new" NHL?

With all of the rule changes designed to make the game more marketable, I was wondering what people who weren't "die hard" hockey fans thought.

I certainly think the game has more flow, and there is more offense. However all of the penalties are nerve racking. And I'm really sick of listening to the old-time hockey guys complain about the new rules, and how the penalties are called.

The players know the new rules, and they need to adjust. Most of them actually have, the commentators have not.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I won't lie. I watch less NHL than I have at any other time in the past. A lot of it has to do with my not spending money on the Center Ice package because UPN no longer carries games and this side of the river doesn't provide much Wings coverage.

I do have Leaf's TV though. That's a turnoff...

I watch the evening wrap ups most nights and consider myself as informed as the average fan. BillLaimbeer does a nice job of updating us in game chat if there is a Wings game on, although I seem to be one of the only folks interested.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Regardless of the Wings success so far this year, the off-year was a downer and made for greater interest in the NBA last year. When you combine that with the Pistons success this year, that makes for much less interest in the NHL by me.
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i only watch hockey during the playoffs, it's not exciting to me in the regular season and i know the wings will make it to the postseason
  5. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

With the lost season, I really became a hardcore Pistons fan. But now that the NHL is back, I'm watching less of the Pistons.

I'll sum it up this way (since I work nights, I tape the games and watch them after work):

If the Wings are on, I tape it.

If the Pistons are on, I tape it.

If they both play. I tape the Wings.

I always have been a Lions, Wings, Pistons fan. But the Wings are my priority, and since the Lions only play once a week, and other leagues don't dare schedule against the NFL, it's easy to watch Lions games (well, in theory at least), and the Pistons get the leftovers.

I find following the Pistons to be more enjoyable than watching every single game. While, I must watch the Wings, every game. It's an addiction.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Not enough time in the day.
  7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Agree Thee not enough time and being off last year having to find other things to do or watch kind of got me out of the routine of catching the games on a regular basis.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I know the Lanche are slow starters but now they are the hottest team over the last month and a half.
    PS. It's the thrill of the kill.