Arenas to re-sign

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jul 4, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Many think Zero's a jackass, but I've always liked the guy. Assuming this report is true, I like him even more.

Though I'm skeptical of his knee and very surprised the Wiz offered him a six year deal, I like what he's doing. The extra $16M would have probably gone to his agent if he had one. Instead, the money offers the team more flexibility to improve.

I'd like to see more players dump their agents...who, like attorneys, I consider to be mostly parasites that screw their own clients for big bucks while contributing little added value.

Arenas reportedly staying with Wizards - NBA - MSNBC.com
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

See above.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think many players would be able to negotiate contracts in their own best interest. Everything I have seen thus far, is that agents are not co-opted into the NBA hierarchy, but actually push back and push hard for their clients to get the best possible money and/or opportunity.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Entering those types of situations without representation is more often than not like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
  5. roscoe36

Did you see V for Vendetta?
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

No, I don't believe so. Is it good?
  7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think all players neogiating their first contract should hire agents. When you are an elite player and you plan on staying with your current team I don't think you really need an agent. You basically know how much money the team can offer you. Hire an attorney for a couple thousand bucks to look over the fine print and the terms of the deal and also to make sure everything is on the up and up. Why give an agent millions for something you can basically do yourself with the help of an attorney for a couple of thousand dollars?
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Very good movie I thought. Not for everyone though. You really have to be into movies that make you think.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Agreed. Besides, the legal-eez of most contracts is probably identical with only the $ being different.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I thought it blew chunks.

great agent hibachi story. i hope the can do something in the years to come.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I love Arenas, but him signing for that price doesn't help the Wiz. If it was maybe in the 105 range, then he would really be doing something. It leaves them w/ essentially 3 mil or so to spend and then i'm pretty sure they go over the L tax which the owner has been reluctant to pay.
  12. roscoe36

I quite liked it. I like movies about the English. If you've read Orwell's 1984, or Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 it's set in that sort of a future.

Sighs. :ohwell: