Arroyo (efficient)..Hunter (effective)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Jimm, Feb 10, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This is like watching bald men fight over a comb ... without any teeth.

Both guys are specialty players, and what makes the point marginal is that neither will give you consistently strong results even if you play them with the starters--which you pretty much have to do, in order to cover their weaknesses. You'll need them both because neither is good enough on his own.

But if a winner must be crowned, I can see us needing Lindsey more in the playoffs because of Wade, Parker and Iverson.

2. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I think its awesome we are deep enough at PG that we can argue who is better fit our 2nd or 3rd string PG.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the problem with hunter is under lb when he was in the game nobody scored. we didn't score and the other team didn't score. yes. hunter is pretty good defensively but he absolutely kills us on offense. but maybe this year under flip he will be better for the offense. the problem is on our second unit we need another scorer besides mcdyess. delfino can create but he is reluctant. darko can score but he is also reluctant. lindsey creates shots for no one else but himself and he doesn't make those.

the problem with arroyo is that flips offense doesn't play to his strengths. yes arroyo controls the ball during the offense but he usually gets us good shots. he isn't that bad defensively in my opinion. no worse than the starters on stopping dribble penetration. yeah arroyo tends to only pass the rock to mcdyess but that's because mcdyess gets you a 50/50 chance of an assist. i'm not comfy with mo evans having the ball in his hands and i'm sure arroyo isn't either.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder how that would make CB4 feel. I've heard that he's a big fan or Mike James and has been pleading with management to sign him long term.

I hadn't heard that Sam and Mike haven't been seeing eye to eye though. I'm sure its nothing compared to Mitchell's fueds with Alston thoguh. That marriage had divorce written all over it.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No need to choose between the two. Hunter also plays backup shooting guard, a position currently held by Mo Evans. We all saw Evans could not guard Wade at all. In the Miami series, you can have Arroyo as the backup point, with Hunter at backup shooting guard to guard Wade.

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

We can live with an Arroyo/Hunter combo at backup PG. I'm lookin for Flip to use Prince as a "point forward" when Hunter runs point in our defensive sets. Hunter can be considered one of the best in the game at what he does. The same cannot be said for Arroyo.

Arroyo and Delfino don't seem to make a good combination. Delfino might be on the verge of a "break-out" if he keeps it up. He seems much more effective with C-Note. Arroyo's shot is no better than Hunter's and unlike Hunter; non-existant from 3 pt land. Hunter provides many more intangibles than Arroyo.

I'll take "effective" over "efficient" anytime.:nod:

7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

who started that %%%%ty Hunter- talk? Sure, he's quick (especially for his age) and defends good. But he's miles away from being able to bring to the court what CA is. His offense is limited and he doesn't get younger. No way he could ever fill the backup PG role. He's too slow and small for the Wades, Carters, or whoever penetrates this team to death. CA isn't a good defender but his offense is way better- he just needs a lil bit more time which is difficult having CB playing like that in front of him.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually, LH did a yeoman's job on Wade last playoffs. Less than 10 months ago. Ball pressure and perimeter defense are his calling cards.

I'll agree that he is not a PG on offense, but he's serviceable bringing the ball up and initiating the offense. After all, how hard can it be to bring it up and FIRE AWAY?! :(

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good idea, but keep looking. I sure don't see any evidence that Flip is considering anything other than one lead guard playing 35-38 and one backup spelling him.

10. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

You got a point dba. I ain't overjoyed at Flip's rotations at all. But he keeps YKW's azz nailed to the bench so at least he knows who can't play. :ohwell:

11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I agree, and I think that the Orlando trade announced yesterday can only mean that Joe D. agrees too.

12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yep. Can't agree more.

13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@themicrowave
    are you talking about the Wade that nearly killed us last years playoffs, who was unstoppable and stopped himself in the end by becoming injured?

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Hunter will not be effective, he will not play. Lb isn't coaching anymore, if you cant run the O, you're not going on the court as a PG.

ESPN on Hunter:

One obvious option is Lindsey Hunter, who recently returned from an injury and has won the trust of his teammates with his performances the past two seasons. However, Hunter is 35 years old and, although a pesky defender, he's a huge liability offensively.

In last season's playoffs, he shot only 31.9 percent, and he hasn't shot above 36 percent since 2001-02. He also has played shooting guard for most of his career; running the offense has never come easily for him.

The Pistons already have the league's best record and a playoff-tested starting five, but do they really want to depend so heavily on Hunter's surgically repaired ankle when he was a marginal player to begin with?