Arroyo Mania

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 12, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic1206apr12,0,7622873.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

Quotes Below:

"In NBA circles, Arroyo may be considered a journeyman -- already with his fifth NBA team at age 26 -- but to the Central Florida Puerto Rican population, he is treated like LeBron James."

"Normally, you have to sign a superstar to have an impact like he has had in Orlando," said Joey Colon, the Magic's Spanish radio play-by-play announcer. "Everyone is jumping on board because now anyone who is Puerto Rican, anywhere, has an interest in the Magic. People are calling me from around the country, asking about him."

"Once he arrived and the team realized how popular he was, they created a new three-game ticket plan. Anyone who bought tickets for the three April games was promised an autograph session with Arroyo."

"We just have to guard against asking him to do too much," Navas said. "Sometimes, we have to remember he's here to play basketball first, not be a rock star."
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

this is cool. I'm glad he got sent there. Its almost as good as being part of a championship team. hopefully, he'll improve on his skills and be a key part of their future.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Arroyo is like a completely different player down there. He always looks to shoot first and routinely drives into traffic. It is more like he played when he was on the PR Olympic team.

On the plus side, he is shooting > 50%.

Maybe there is nobody off the bench down there that he trusts as much as McDyess. He just needs to find a balance between the way he played for Detroit and the way that he is playing now.

I'm happy for all the Puerto Rican's that they have an exciting player to watch.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's gonna make it hard to trade the guy even if he slacks off. NY would love him too.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Naw, LB wouldn't play him.
  6. max

max All-Star

I found this both surprising and amusing. On the other forum I thought the remaning Arroyo fans were a few misguided holdouts. Now I see the truth.

Arroyo is making Orlando a lot of money.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I didn't see him playing the last couple games. What gives.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He got send to a right place, great business for everyone, that's what 4P of marketing all about.
  9. max

max All-Star

Like the article said. Arroyo has had the marketing impact of a superstar . A max salary superstar.

Magic should have floated the Pistons an extra 2nd rounder or something. Stern should take note of how we helped them out with this. For a team not making the playoffs this Arroyo financial windfall came at the right time.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, it might work out well for Carlos because with his modest skills, he'll probably have a chance to stay with this franchise purely for the increase in attendance he brings. That's a nice job security blanket.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You're kidding, right, Merc? LB brought him in here.