Artest TO Rockets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 30, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is a very intriguing move to say the least. With McGrady, Artest and Battier all playing the same position having a glut at the SF position.

If it stays as is, they will be a very dangerous team.

I think that McGrady may be on the move possibly, or that's trying to find a lot of PT for these 3.

Check out the article:

Hoopsworld

The Houston Rockets have reportedly reached an agreement with the Sacramento Kings that will land Ron Artest in Houston.

According to published reports the Rockets will send Bobby Jackson, Donte Greene, a first round pick in the 2009 NBA draft, and cash amounting to around $1 million to the Kings for the storied forward. If Greene is, indeed, involved in the deal then it won't be able to officially take place until August 14th, which is a month from the day he signed with the Rockets. League rules dictate that a player can't be traded for 30 days after signing. A source with knowledge of the trade told HOOPSWORLD that the timeline for the deal is "about right," which would seem to confirm Greene's involvement.

Another variation of the trade could include Joey Dorsey, who has not yet been signed by the Rockets, and thus could be involved in a sign-and-trade at any time.

Ron Artest has had a storied NBA career, and not all of the stories have been good. He's had the positives of being Defensive Player of the Year and establishing himself as a premier defender, and he's had the negative of off-the-court issues . . .and involvement in the infamous brawl between the Pistons and Pacers.

Artest shook off much of that negativity when he landed in Sacramento, where he and then-coach Rick Adelman found success together. Now the Rockets are hoping Adelman can inspire that kind of success from Artest once again in Houston.

More than anything the Rockets needed a third scoring option to help spread the burden around. They needed a player who could create his own shot, hit the three or drive to the hole, and also play top-notch defense on the perimeter. There are few players who embody all of those attributes as well as Artest.

The Houston Rockets have served notice: they expect to be contenders in 2008-09.
  2. max

max All-Star

Its a good move for them. Low risk since Artest has one more year left and even if he loses focus this year they still have Battier to take over.

I believe T-Mac is their SG.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Looks like the Yao-Artest relationship isn't exactly starting well:

Not that I would ever expect sanity from Artest, but I didn't expect him to talk about the brawl by saying "I'd do exactly the same thing all over again," which--correct if I'm wrong--is precisely what he's saying.
  4. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The SacBee article suggests that the deal could fall through.

I like how Artest says that Yao believes "all the propaganda" about him. Apparently Yao is too stupid to think for himself.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I think, Ron has made another "favor" to himself: instead of welcoming ćhance to get PO team, he makes some stupid comments and Houston says probably "no way".
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

That's what I was thinking. He's more of a 2. When Yao isn't playing, he's the 1, the 2, the 3, the 4 and the 5.
  7. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

"With McGrady, Artest and Battier all playing the same position having a glut at the SF position."

Their lineup looks like this:
    Alston/Francis/Brooks
    T-Mac/Barry/Head ​
    Artest/Battie
    Scola/Laundry/Hayes
    Yao/Motumbo

Ours:
    Billups/Stuckey/Bynum
    Hamilton/Afflalo
    Prince/Sharpe/Hermann
    Wallace/Maxiel
    Brown/McDyess/Johnson

Who's looks better?
    :gun1:Rockets or Pistons:hoops:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rockets look like the best team in the league on paper.

Artest and Yao are already in a tiff though. So who knows?
  9. lurker

This article from the Houston Chronicle contains the quotes from Yao that Artest was responding to.
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Don't look at the answers without seeing the question. All is not that bad in Houston:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9648

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Artest doesn't need Yao's help to make him look bad. The slip up was more in the way that Artest responded.

The bottom line is that his new teammates are probably excited to have a talented guy like him as a teammate, but fearful that he will be a distraction.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yao should just say stuff like this.

"If Artest becomes a problem, I will stuff his face with a knuckleball sandwich, I'm Jackie Chan, you know it!"
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's stressful now, but by the end of the year, Yao will be featured on Tru Warier's hottest tracks.
  14. lurker

If Yao ever feels the need to serve up that knuckeball sandwich, he can explain himself like this.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm still ticked lpgrl didn't get me Artest's cellie #. I would have cranked him every day this summer, and now I would be doing Yao Ming voices.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And you sooo better have put the audio up for all of us to listen to.