Articles worth mentioning II

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Do it for Isiah?

If the Pistons are going to "do it" for anyone I'm sure most of us would think they would do it for themselves. Then I'm guessing....do it for Dyess. There is the legend of Will Robinson to think of.

Well all Isiah Thomas wants is the Pistons do it for his undying hatred of The Boston Celtics.

Go to MORE link for Video of Zeke.

[MORE...]

Hamilton fined

The league just announced that they have slapped Richard Hamilton with a flagrant foul, penalty one, for a hit he put on Kevin Garnett in the fourth quarter of Game 1. A penalty one involves a fine but not a suspension.

Continued at MORE link

[MORE...]
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

4. roscoe36

Pistons know they have a big mess to clean up in Game 2

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, can you confirm this? Seems unbelievable.
  6. roscoe36

Lee, if you confirm this, please count to 53 in Korean. You need the practice. :)
  7. roscoe36

Detroit shows the NBA how to win a playoff game
    Consider this a master class. Consider this a statement. Consider this a vivid reminder that man cannot live on home-court advantage alone, not if the stated goal is an NBA championship. What a wonderful night this was to be a member of, the coach of, the owner of, or just a plain old fan of the Detroit Pistons. This was a demonstration of professionalism. This was the way a good team acts wrote Boston Globe columnist Bob Ryan.
    Pistons kick some hometown, Beantown butt
    The rules have changed. The formula has dissolved. If the Celtics are going to win a championship this spring, they are going to have to do something they have yet to do: win a playoff game away from home. Detroit Pistons, ladies and gents, are not the Atlanta Hawks, nor are they the Cleveland Cavaliers. They do not break out in hives when they hear boos. Thursday, they kicked some hometown butt, stifled the Causeway Street din, and walked out of the New Garden with a 103-97 victory over the Celtics.

Boston’s Big Three exposed after home loss
    The grapes sat unplucked, the spaghetti hardly touched. The Boston Celtics had cleared out of their locker room with a purpose not seen during much of the night as the Detroit Pistons handed them their first home loss of the playoffs, 103-97.

There would be no music, no time for a postgame buffet or even quick conversation. Guys just dressed quietly and bailed.

The Eastern Conference finals is now even at 1-1. The Celtics were now facing a must-win situation away from the Garden, and they failed to win in six tries on the road during the first two rounds of the playoffs.

And while everyone wanted to say it wasn’t a big thing – these repetitive road woes – the truth is that now we get to see the true mettle of Boston’s newfangled Big Three.

Did Stuart Scott Just Call Tayshaun Prince Ugly?
    I don't know if Stuart Scott should be talking about looks, I'm pretty sure he's not even allowed to buy GQ, let alone be in it like Tayshaun once was. Isn't that the whole pot-kettle thing? (see video)
    Pistons' road win puts heat squarely on Celtics
    The Boston fans waved arms, beer cups, anything they had in their hands and howled at Detroit's Rasheed Wallace, who stood at the free-throw line with just more than 10 seconds remaining and his Pistons up by just three points.

For a few seconds, the TD Banknorth Garden rocked and sounded as loud as the old Boston Garden from a storied playoff past.

Then Wallace made one, and it was quiet like only an arena of a vanquished team can be quiet. The loss became obvious. The basketball world tilted a bit for Boston.
  8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Defense rests in defeat
    But the eye tells us the Celtics had to make tougher shots. The vision of the Pistons last night was of Rodney Stuckey and Rasheed Wallace launching shots in wide-open spaces.

At times it seemed as if the floor had been widened and no one told the Celts.

“I thought we were a step slower than we were in Game 1,” said Paul Pierce [stats]. “I think they did a great job at getting the ball from strong side to weak side, because we’re a strong-side defense. So it was tough once they reversed the ball and made us rotate those guys. We were a step late and those guys knocked down shots.”​

Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups: A special twosome
    “I just think that over the last five years they’ve had the most underrated backcourt in all of basketball,” Pierce said after the Celtics’ 103-97 Game 2 loss, which evened the Eastern Conference finals at 1. “You look at Chauncey and Rip Hamilton, and combined I think they’ve played in something like six All-Star Games. That is kind of mind-boggling, being that they’ve had so much success as a team."​

America should be pulling for Pistons-Spurs
    If you're someone who grumbles that NBA players don't play defense, you should root for Pistons-Spurs (although Boston may play the best defense of the remaining playoff teams). If you complain you're sick of seeing NBA teams that don't play hard, root for Pistons-Spurs. If you love teams that win because of their commitment to team basketball, root for Pistons-Spurs. If you're sick of seeing basketball dominated by And-1 wannabes, root for Pistons-Spurs.​
  9. lurker

What rookie Stuckey doesn't know won't hurt him
    "If he knew the consequences and what would have happened if he messed up, it would be on his mind and he wouldn't play as well as he is," McDyess said.

Stuckey laughed when told of McDyess' analysis, and wholeheartedly agreed.

"For sure -- it is probably good that I don't know what I am getting into," Stuckey said. "But every time I do get into something, I'm trying to learn from it. The thing I want to do the most is control my turnovers. It doesn't matter what I do in other parts of the game if I'm turning the ball over. That's the control, the calm I need to have out here."​

McDyess' quiet intensity helps motivate Pistons
    McDyess wasn't sure if he could make the extreme physical and emotional investment required to make another serious championship run.

The desire replenished itself rather quickly in the days following the end. McDyess signed a new contract, but he made a personal promise that he would no longer instinctively defer to those who were around for the Pistons' 2004 championship.

"We know how badly 'Dyess wants" a championship ring, Chauncey Billups said. "He's played great, but he's also playing a bigger role in the locker room. He's been a great leader for us."​

Celtics have a chance to right wrongs
    "I hope it helps that we won the last time we played there," said Celtics coach Doc Rivers. "Having said that, even if we hadn't, we still have to go win."

Rivers was asked yesterday what the difference has been between his team's road play in the regular season and in the playoffs. He said that during the regular season, his team executed well on the road, rebounding well and playing great defense.

"We've done some of those things. We just haven't done them all for 48 minutes, and in the playoffs you have to," Rivers said.​

Celtics finding balanced Pistons tough to defend
    "You can't really zone in on one guy (with Detroit)," Rivers said. "The two previous series, we had LeBron (for Cleveland) and Joe Johnson (for Atlanta). On this team, Rip (Hamilton) is probably No. 1 as far as them trying to get him the ball, but Chauncey (Billups), Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, (Antonio) McDyess has been terrific and you can add Stuckey to the mix. They have five, for sure, and six guys on certain nights they can go to."​
  10. Slippy

11. Slippy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/05/23/weekly.countdown/

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, that's fine and dandy, but whenever the Pistons lose they do NOT credit the other team. They always say they (Detroit) are the better team and didn't do such and such, and that the loss had nothing to do with what so and so (fill in other team name) did.

It works both ways...so quit crying or start giving others credit where it is deserved.
  13. lurker

Injury won't sideline banged-up Billups during East finals

Chauncey Billups probably isn't going to be healthy during the Eastern Conference finals.

Billups refuses, though, to let his sore right hamstring keep him off the court or be an excuse for him and the Detroit Pistons against the Boston Celtics.

"Hurt or not, I still have to play better and fight through it," Billups said Sunday.​
  14. lurker

If Billups doesn't start playing like Billups, the Pistons are cooked

In this series -- for the first time since Billups arrived in Detroit -- there have been moments when the Pistons seem better off without him. Rookie Rodney Stuckey is not the player Billups is yet. But he is darn good, and more important, he is healthy.

"At times, we look better with Stuck, just because of the pace and how he's been able to play," Saunders said.

Saunders was in no way criticizing Billups. He was just stating a fact. I don't think Billups would argue the point. But both men know the Pistons need Billups to play well.​

Billups isn’t ready to sit … but should he?

Billups was a -25 on Saturday. I know it’s misleading to read too much into single-game plus/minus numbers, but in Billups’ four stints on the floor, the Pistons didn’t score more points than they gave up once.

Stuckey, meanwhile, was a +3. Sure, he had the advantage of not facing Boston’s starters 100% of the time, but what if he had? Does anyone think it’d result in a 28-point swing? I don’t see it that way.​
  15. roscoe36

McDyess drags Pistons past Big Three

In 2004, the Phoenix Suns traded Stephon Marbury to the New York Knicks. One of the valuable things they got in return wasn’t Antonio McDyess. Oh, they got McDyess, his bum knee and his plunging production, but the Suns didn’t want that and McDyess knew it.

He was nothing more than an “expiring contract.” He was a one-time franchise caliber star whose big-money deal was about to go off the books, freeing cap space for the Suns to get better players. The former No. 2 pick in the draft, former All-Star, former 21-and-12 guy was now an accounting trick; valued not for showing up but for soon leaving.

McDyess called his agent, Andy Miller, and told him to tell the Suns to put him out of his misery.

“Tell them to cut me,” McDyess said.

Miller wouldn’t do it. It wasn’t going to end like this, he told McDyess. Somehow, somewhere, there would be better days.

Jason Maxiell Blocks Kevin Garnett - Game Four ECF - The Big Denial

Must see video

McDyess sparks Pistons in physical Game 4

Another look at the Detroit Pistons' 94-75 win over the Boston Celtics in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals at the Palace on Monday.

The series, tied at 2-2, returns to Boston for Game 5 on Wednesday.

THE SCENE
    Boston's Kevin Garnett goes into a quiet intense mode before games, and the look on his face immediately sends a warning: Do NOT talk to me, Do NOT approach me. Do NOT breathe near me, or otherwise make your presence known to me.

It might be the most serious game face I've seen in over 30 years of sports writing.

By the way, Pistons coach Flip Saunders said before the game that Chauncey Billups is trying to get his game back, and took home extra tapes to study the first three games of the series. Saunders also said he will not hesitate to go with Rodney Stuckey if Billups continues to struggle.

Shout out to the Pistons' drum line. Those guys are part of a good show, and they put on one during rehearsal in the parking lot, too.
  16. roscoe36

Celtics Look for Shots, and a Sense of Urgency

A mere 12 hours after touching down in the wee hours Tuesday morning, the Boston Celtics were back at work. Late afternoon practice/film sessions at home after playoff losses on the road have become a staple of the Celtics’ postseason. They have won only once in eight road games.

After Monday night’s 94-75 loss to the Detroit Pistons in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals, the Celtics flew home, landing shortly after 3 a.m. Everyone convened at the team’s suburban practice facility midafternoon and, once again, they watched film of a game in which they did a lot of things wrong. The series is tied, 2-2, with Game 5 on Wednesday night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

There was plenty on the videotape to pick apart. The Celtics made only 21 field goals. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that represents the second fewest baskets in the shot-clock era for any conference final or N.B.A. finals game. In 1999, the Portland Trail Blazers managed only 19 field goals in an 85-63 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference finals. In the first and third quarters combined, the Celtics made only seven baskets.​

Celtics in another tight series; fatigue starting to show

Are the Boston Celtics burnt out?

After their 94-75 loss to the Detroit Pistons on Monday night, it seemed that the team which finished the regular season with the best record in the NBA was running out of gas at a crucial time.

Maybe the loss was just another example of the much discussed road woes that have landed the C’s with a 1-7 record on the road (straight-up and against the spread) through these playoffs. But perhaps there’s more to it than that.

After going to seven games in both of their previous playoff series, the Celtics have now played 16 games in 31 days and that circuitous route to the conference finals seems to have started taking a toll. Fatigue usually manifests itself most visibly on the defensive end and the normally stout Boston defense has given up an average of 93 points in the last three games, including 103 points in Game 2 in Boston.

After that game, even Celtics players admitted they were suffering the effects of a grueling playoff stretch.​

McDyess raises game knowing the end is near
    It was around this time last year that Antonio McDyess gave up. The Detroit Pistons had just lost their fourth straight game to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the conference final in yet another playoff failure. And the 32-year-old with the scarred knees and title-free résumé surrendered. "Tonight, I accepted that I'm never going to win," he told reporters, despairing.

A lot can change in a year, of course, and if anybody should have known that, it was the man from Mississippi. Monday night, Detroit's latest championship chase had reached its latest crisis point, and it was the unlikely McDyess who gave it life. His season-best 21 points and 16 rebounds were the centrepiece of Detroit's less-lopsided-than-it-looked 94-75 win, and his desperation - on every play, it seemed - was just as important as the numbers. Detroit lives, and so McDyess's hope lives. That's how it works.​

Detroit Pistons guards, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton, get some recognition from across the pond

Mark Woods of The Guardian, one of the major newspapers in London, give Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton some props in Tuesdays paper.​

~~
  17. lurker

With freshness in mind, Pistons opt not to practice on off days

Fresh off their Game 4 win, the Pistons elected not to practice Tuesday. Pistons coach Flip Saunders said he thought a day of rest would better serve his team before tonight's Game 5.

He said, in hindsight, he thought his team played tired in Saturday's Game 3 loss, and he didn't want a repeat of that problem.

"Sometimes you don't realize, but for 8:30 games, you get done so late," Saunders said. "We got in at 3:30, guys to their place around 4 in the morning."​

Pistons have the edge now

The Celtics might be wearing down; not a lot, but enough to swing the balance of power. Tonight will be their 19th playoff game in 38 days. The Big Three aren't spring chickens, and it has been a long time since any of them have endured this kind of postseason grind.

"The first thing about fatigue is it starts wearing on you emotionally," Saunders said. "And I think the first thing you start seeing is there may be a change in how a team starts playing a little bit. And I thought we looked fatigued, as far as in Game 3, for some reason. They looked a tad fatigued (in Game 4). Their shot selection was a little bit more frivolous than it was in the other games. And that always happens with fatigue and that happens with pressure."​

Garnett has to take over for Celtics

Garnett can do just about everything there's to do on a basketball court. He's a 7-foot guy who can swish the 18-footer, handle the ball like a guard, and defend like Lawrence Taylor. He's the consummate teammate -- dishing off, calling out switches, and getting in the faces of the young bucks who sometimes need to be told how it's done. Russell himself said he thinks of Garnett the way he thinks of his own children.

Given the choice between Garnett and Rasheed Wallace, we'd take Garnett 100 times out of 100.​

Solid Foundation vs. Quick Renovation

This was an all-or-nothing trade for Boston; the Pistons, regardless of the outcome, will be back.

“There’s no one, by-the-book way to build a contender,” Dumars said. “You have two totally different ways of how these two teams got to where they are right now. Danny was fortunate to get a couple of All Stars — maybe future Hall of Famers.”​
  18. Slippy

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, Sheed strained his middle finger. It might be stuck in the up position for game 6.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

Maybe now when he does his customary have to hug KG at the end of the game, he'll poke him in the eye.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.