Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

5. Boston. Age is catching up with the Celtics' Big Three. They need to transition Rajon Rondo into the leading man, but that is a delicate process.

I may be the biggest Rondo fan in the house, but to suggest he needs to be their best player is just silly.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is probably the first time I've ever heard of Saunders bringing defensive know-how to a team.

4. mikhail1973

I gotta admit - Flip had good zone ideas. Maybe that's what is meant.

5. mikhail1973

6. mikhail1973

7. mikhail1973

8. mikhail1973

9. G-man

G-man Starter

10. G-man

G-man Starter

11. G-man

G-man Starter

12. G-man

G-man Starter

Bloated Goats..

"Hot dogs, Apple pie and Bloated Sports Salaries"
    Posted by Bethlehem Shoals at The Baseline

Great little read on us all losing our moorings...

"You'd think, as our country faces a nearly unprecedented economic slump, there would be some sort of backlash against player salaries, or at least recognition of the value of the dollars involved. We talk quite knowledgeably about such and such team's plan to save money, and yet don't make the connection between this kind of business move and all the companies falling down dead around us -- and the jobs they take with us."

SportingNews.com - The Baseline

13. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Bloated Goats..

I get the overall tone here - it is reasonable to ask if anybody is worth $20mm a year? But, the NBA salary system seems to be one of the more rational ones out there. There is a salary cap based on a share of team revenues with some fairly severe penalties for going over. If team revenues go down, as might be the case now, then the cap goes down and players earn less. If revenues go up, the cap goes up and players earn more. It's not as if the salaries are out of line with how the business overall performs.

I know it's not a perfect system, but it does place salaries clearly within the context of the state of the business - nothing at all like what we've seen in other industries over the past year or two with the salaries at the top going up while the revenue and profits of the businesses went into the toilet.

15. G-man

G-man Starter

The cost is too high...

Hear ya DBA. But one could argue utilizing the last years revenue to re-set the next years spending is very shortsighted in todays economy.
    It's really like playing "catch-up" all the time.

I used to buy a lot of ad space at the Palace. I purchased my spots in the off-season for the entirety of the upcoming year. If my business went sideways in the fall, winter and spring I still had to pay for the space. So while my company might've been losing it's shirt, in real time the Palace still received revenue as if things were great. I'm not sure using such a short standard is the smartest way to ensure longer term success. It seems more reactive than pro-active (though it's sold the other way around).

A third or so of the players make outrageous revenue and the rest make great money.

As an example; one of the most solid bigs over the last deacde has been our own Rasheed Wallace. He signed his deal with Portland and it paid him $75M, then his deal with Detroit was for $57M, now it looks like he'll be signing with Boston for 2 years for $11.6M. That's $143.6M in on floor earnings and it doesn't include his rookie deal (I'm not including any sponsorship monies as they aren't relevant to this discussion).

He's a career 15 pts, 7 boards, 2 assists and 1.3 blocks per game player.
    $143M over what would be 18 years (assuming he plays out the 2 in Boston) is an average of $7.9M per year.

While it (7.9) sounds reasonable by todays player costs, it's outrageous money under any other professional circumstance.

In his case he's had a very solid and long career, which granted is unusual. I'm not knocking Sheed, power to him. But the bubble broke, America is broke, the blue collar job market that helped create this league by supporting it for the last 30 years is in tatters as the manufacturing base has vanished and won't return anytime soon.

It seems to me that the whole economic system that supported the strategy that determines the CBA is broken. Shouldn't the industry reinvent itself in ways that make it more affordable as spendable income rapidly erodes? It's not alot unlike the catch 22 the Michigan auto industry found itself in.

If your infrastructure and product costs are prohibitively expensive as your buyers income erodes, something has to give. In the past those situations were static, located predominantly in middle markets and the NBA responded by allowing relocation or the teams sale into a new healthy market.

But the reality is while our manufacturing jobs and the income they generated were being lost, we morphed into a 10 year housing bubble that had no real long term substance. As those inflated values recede and everyones balance sheets are re-adjusted we are going to see the fans spendable income levels significantly reduced, permanently.

Shouldn't whats already happened wake us to the fact that if we don't seriously start a pro-active infrastructure and cost reduction program we won't have a quality NBA down the road?

Hey, no one wants to be the last guy left to turn the lights off, I get that. If you're weaned on champagne and caviar it's not easy to adjust to beer and chips, you resent it cause you're pretty sure you more than most deserve the champagne and caviar.

As an aside, I think the owners are thieves. I have no problem with the players getting a healthy revenue split and I'm not for seeing the players end up in a more submissive financial position. I just think the whole game, the big picture, needs a re-thinking, a re-engineering.

The NBA plan for revenue production needs to pro-actively adapt to a changing market where it's generally acknowledged that liquidity is going to suffer through a long-term contraction. That means we have to recognize that when we had more of it (money) we spent it freely, but having less means everyone has to give something to continue getting something. I want my kids and their kids to enjoy the same overall quality of game we watch (in stretches) today. But it won't happen without pro-active systemic change.

Paying a a very good player like Sheed, a 15pt, 7 board guy $143M isn't just outrageous, in the bigger picture, it's felonious....

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looking at this again, it appears that at least 7 of the guys were bigs and three were foreign born that obviously the scouts either overhyped or the scouts weren't qualified in their jobs.

That is why I am always leery about anybody over 6"11 unless he played three years of college or he alone dominated other teams on the way to the final four......now that does not mean I am sold on Thabeet yet, as I remember meeting some big guy named Greg Oden in the Las Vegas summer league in 2007, and he was thought to be the next big savior.......big guys some times have big injuries...(and little hands)

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since the payoff on a big that pans out is greater, it makes sense than teams gamble on them before they are proven.

Nemo likes this.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since the turn of the century, only two big men have been able to dominate enough where it made a difference and they led their teams to multiple rings (Shaq and Duncan with 4 each since 1999.)

All the other big men in this century could be considered busts as it equates to leading their teams to the promise land with Garnett, Gasol and Ben able to sneak in. :stirthepot:

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Olajuwon?

... oh, "since the turn of the century"???

2009- Gasol
    2008- Garnett
    2007- Duncan
    2006- Shaq
    2005- Duncan
    2004- Wallace x 2
    2003- Duncan
    2002- Shaq
    2001- Shaq
    2000- Shaq

It appears as though it helps to have a dominant big man. Gasol and Wallace x 2 are the weakest of the bunch, and they are still pretty formidable.

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Bloated Goats..

Ah yes...more of the built-in hatred for NBA Players because they don't "deserve" that kind of money...

Look, as long as 18000 people show up and pay $25-$50 a head to watch a game...the salaries will be that high. Until people start showing up at The Sporting News' offices to watch this guy churn out an article than his salary will stay what it is (or is not).