1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For some displaced Pistons fans on the left coast, Lebron moving here instead of NY seems a bit more promising. It takes him out of the east and we here in LA have a blue collar team serching for respect to cheer for instead of the LA [STRIKE]Kobe's,[/STRIKE][STRIKE] Fakers[/STRIKE] I mean Lakers

Could LeBron James Be a Los Angeles Clipper By the Time 2010 Rolls Around? | Bleacher Report

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That would be something. Thanks for the link, Dre.

3. mikhail1973

D.C. Sports Bog - How Flip Saunders Almost Became a Terp

"He was a heckuva player," the Terps legend said of Saunders, now the Wizards' head coach and then a would-be Maryland recruit. "If I recruited him, he was pretty good. I didn't go after any dogs. I mean, he was good. We recruited him hard."
    Saunders told me that he actually attended the Terps basketball camp in the summer before his senior year, earning MVP honors, which kick-started his interest in the Terps. It didn't hurt that the program was stocked with big names, which helped move Maryland near the top of Saunders's list.
    "I pretty much had it down between Maryland and Minnesota," he said. "I mean, they were good. They had Len Elmore, they had [Tom] McMillen, they had Lucas. Lefty had kind of turned it around, and he created the UCLA of the East at the time."
    Saunders went on to have a fabulous senior year, averaging 32 points at Cuyahoga Heights High (just outside Cleveland) and earning Ohio Class A player of the year honors. He played point guard and shooting guard while also jumping center, and he showed certain qualities that would one day emerge on the bench.

4. LA Dre

When I re-clicked on the link, it now indicates the story has been deleted??

Wonder if Nike saw it and decided to have it removed. :) Well before it is removed from here due to copywrite infringements, the whole article is below:

5. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Bill Simmons recaps the NBA offseason so far, using quotes from his favorite movie of the decade, "Almost Famous." - ESPN

6. G-man

G-man Starter

Five teams stand out among future playoff hopefuls
    NBA.Com - John Schumann

"It may seem like the same teams make the Playoffs every season, but there's actually a good amount of turnover from year to year. Over the last 10 seasons, there has been an average of 3.6 new teams in the Playoffs, and every team except the Bobcats has made the postseason at least once in the last six years.

Last season, the Bulls, Heat and Blazers went from lottery team to playoff squad. Chicago was bolstered by Rookie of the Year Derrick Rose, Miami had a healthy Dwyane Wade and Portland -- the worst team in the league three seasons ago -- returned to the Playoffs.

Who will make the leap this year? Here are the top five candidates, with last season's record in parentheses."

NBA.com: Five teams stand out among future playoff hopefuls

7. G-man

G-man Starter

Those were the days my friends...we thought they'd never end..

Cleveland Cavaliers release Kinsey; schedule may open vs. Celtics, with Christmas in L.A. Brian Windhorst - Cleveland Plains Dealer

"Schedule matters: The NBA schedule isn't expected to be officially released until early next month and things may yet change, but according to multiple sources the Cavs are set to be featured early and often. As of the current schedule that was obtained by The Plain Dealer, the team is set to kickoff the NBA season by hosting the Boston Celtics on Oct. 27 in a game probably set for TNT.

Then on Christmas Day, the Cavs appear to be slated to be the one of the marquee games for ABC as they will be in Los Angeles to play the Lakers. This is not unexpected as the Lakers-Cavs were a major draw even before the Cavs traded for Shaquille O'Neal. Shaq and former teammate Kobe Bryant have met on Christmas several times in the past when O'Neal was with the Miami Heat."

Cleveland Cavaliers release Kinsey; schedule may open vs. Celtics, with Christmas in L.A. - cleveland.com

8. G-man

G-man Starter

The Hammond Effect

Warrick Could be Next Step for Bucks
    Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

"The Bucks are undergoing a fantastic rebirth, like that mealy caterpillar turning into an immobile glob and then giving birth to a beautiful, stately creature. Mere weeks ago, this team was saddled with the unremarkable pseudo-star Richard Jefferson, had way too much banking on Andrew Bogut and felt no particular urgency about a young nucleus that involved Charlie Villanueva and Ramon Sessions. And the coach was still Scott Skiles, known to bring teams up just high enough so they can come crashing down."

They subsequently got rid of Jefferson, let Villanueva walk and more or less decided to scavenge with Sessions. But they also took a chance, and presumably showed us something about Skiles's state of mind, by drafting Brandon Jennings and making him the face of the future; acquiring explosive, if untapped, big man Amir Johnson, once a pet Dumars project; and now, according to Chris Mannix's Twitter, making a subtle move that could further alter their personality in positively fun ways: "Sources tell me Hakim Warrick could wind up in Milwaukee."

Warrick Could Be Next Step for Bucks - Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

9. LA Dre

10. mikhail1973

The Warriors Hate Their Fans | Dime Magazine (www.dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

I can’t take credit for that headline. That would go to reader “brett” in today’s Smack, who, in reference to the Golden State Warriors trading Marco BelinelliToronto for Devean George, wrote: “pretty sure the warriors traded belinelli cuz they hate their fans.” to It would most definitely seem to be the case wouldn’t it? Golden State has a looong list of head-scratching personnel moves over the last 10 years, the latest being dealing a fan favorite in Belinelli - a guy who still has potential to be a serious, if one-dimensional, offensive weapon in the League - for a guy, if we’re being honest here, who has little to no ability to help an NBA team. George may be the greatest guy in the world, and he may still be able to play a little bit of defense, but the reality is that he hasn’t done a meaningful thing on a basketball court in many years.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes Kobe.
    Surprised to see McEnroe on the list...he's like 60 years old.
    I wouldn't put Vick at #1 either. He's done his time.
    Glad to see Saban there...He shoulda never left MSU..

12. G-man

G-man Starter

Evening N. My nickels worth..

The Mac just turned 50 a couple months back, I agree he shouldn't be on the list, makes you wonder who the choices to pick from were..

Vic is likely hated cause he did evil things to dogs (mans best friend). In his case, it ain't about the time it's about the crime. Let him make a living - no problem. But what he did to his dogs says alot about his character. Something ain't right. Here's a tiny sample - small article regarding the re-habbing of his dogs, read just a few of the comments. People are pissed..

Saban? absolutely.

Kobe? im thinking that sexual assault case combined with the BIG diamond ring he immediately gave his wife stuck in the craw of an awful lotta folks outside the fairly insular b-ball world.

Seems to me it would be interesting to know who all the choices were and where the voting audience was pulled from...

13. G-man

G-man Starter

Ooops..here's the link mentioned ..Don't forget the Vick dogs - News Hound | DogTime - Dog Blog Network

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

You're right about Vick...Problem is that I've never owned a dog.
    I wish that I'd have had a pet at sometime in my life to feel the
    bond that most do. This would help me to understand.

15. G-man

G-man Starter

You're kidding right?

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's what she said.

17. G-man

G-man Starter

Riley chasing his tail?

Plan B -- Is There One?
    MVN - Leaving It All on the Court

"Or it may even be time for something bold. Wade wants a supporting cast around him that can win a championship, and he wants it now. If Riley goes nothing the rest of this summer, there is no guarantee that the Heat even makes the playoffs. Right now, Miami still has a long way to go to catch up with Cleveland, Boston and Orlando. The Hawks should be better with Jamal Crawford while also retaining Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams. The Pistons added Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, two good players. Washington has Randy Foye and Mike Miller added to its offensive arsenal, and it could challenge the Heat in the Southeast Division. The Sixers will have Elton Brand back healthy. Toronto got Hedo Turkoglu to pair with Chris Bosh, and also recently traded for Italian marksman Marco Belinelli. That's eight teams -- without the Heat.

Now, I'm not saying that Miami will have its season end in mid-April. Right now, I'd put the Heat around the sixth or seventh spot in the East. The sixth or seventh seed isn't enough for Wade, of course. And with League revenues expected to drop this season, it could be very difficult to obtain another superstar to pair with Flash while also providing a quality supporting cast around those two players next summer. Sooner or later, Wade will start thinking about the legacy he leaves to the NBA. Will it be as a great player who always had a sub-par team with the exception of two years in his entire career? Or will it be as a great player who won championships? I don't even need to answer which category Wade wants to be a part of."

Plan B -- Is There One? - Leaving It All on the Court

18. G-man

G-man Starter

Time for PF to buy a little add space?

NBA to let teams sell ads on practice jerseys
    InsideHoops.com

"USA Today reports: The hunger for new revenue during the economic downturn has the NBA and NHL entertaining the once-taboo prospect of corporate sponsorships for game uniforms. Beginning this season the NBA will let teams sell ads on their practice jerseys, says deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who adds the league is continuing to explore the issue of ads on game jerseys. “We are operating a diverse business all around the world,” Silver says. “(The sponsored game jersey) is a well-established practice in other countries. Ultimately, I think our fans will come to accept it.”

NBA to let teams sell ads on practice jerseys : InsideHoops

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

Re: Time for PF to buy a little add space?

I hope this doesn't happen. Maybe it will be like the new ball... you know, the one they use in Europe.

20. G-man

G-man Starter

Iverson to NY?

Is Iverson Really an Option?
    Knicks Blog - Chris Alvino

"If I were to take a guess, I would say that the vast majority of Knicks fans want nothing to do with Iverson. Can I blame them? Iverson went to Detroit last year and the results were not pretty. To make matters worse, Chauncey Billups helped bring the Nuggets to the Western Conference finals, perhaps proving that Iverson’s brand of basketball does not win in the NBA. Last season was not a memorable one for Iverson. The lack of interest in the former MVP and scoring champ.

So again, is Iverson really an option?

Let me play devil’s advocate for a second and present this scenario. Iverson was brought into Detroit to play the point, a position he is capable of playing, but not the position he is best at playing. He was brought to a veteran team that was well set in its ways. The incumbent roster was comfortable playing with each other. Taking out Billups and adding Iverson (two completely different players) ruined that comfort level. Iverson changed that gameplan."

The Knicks Blog » Is Iverson Really An Option?