Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it's funny that Howard seems to find it unbelievable that these guys don't know what he said on ESPN the day before. He comes across as a bit of a primadonna.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I never liked SVG, but maybe it was just for his penchant for wearing short sleeved shirts under his suits and playing Jameer Nelson. I might now have to reevaluate.

BillLaimbeer and Darth Tater like this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I've seen 2nd graders squirm less when asking for their missing homework.
    The opening hug was so cool........Howard really thought one hug would clear
    up the mess.........Gundy leaving him at that moment was like watching a son-in-law
    leave his mother-in-law on a sinking ship............

4. Nemo

5. Nemo

Stan Van Gundy liberates himself in exposing Dwight Howard's power play for a new Magic coach - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Cool part of the article........

"For the first time, Howard realized that he was driving down LeBron Street, realized the criticism that was coming his way for forcing a trade, and he hit the brakes. He slammed it into reverse, turned around and did the one thing that could give him instant gratification: Stay one more year, get a standing ovation in Orlando, and restart this circus next summer."

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Believe it or not, Howard loves Orlando and he loves the Magic. Not just being the leader, but that he fits in. He doesn't want to leave, but he has no choice from a career perspective. Orlando has ****ed about far too much and this isn't the first time. History is repeating itself and Dwight has no choice but to leave.

They should have traded him and gotten rid of Turkoglu. He walks next year, so no one is putting anything on the table, except for the teams that don't have a player to draw him. He is going somewhere with a superstar player.

I don't hold his actions against him, just like I don't hold Lebrons against him, both times, it was a case of the front office failing to pay true on promises that they had made. Look at Deron Williams, the same thing is happening there as well.

7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Both sides have problems here. The Magic failed to get adequate talent around him, and worse, they handcuffed themselves by overpaying for the talent they did get. Remember Kobe wanting to be traded? The Lakers moved promptly to get him the help he wanted and they won back to back championships with that core. Now he's a Laker for life for a certainty.
    Dwight, while he certainly had the right to want out, the spectacle and season-long wishy washiness was painful to watch. It was a huge distraction. And now he's fighting with his coach. On the other hand, the Magic not just cutting their losses and trading him in exchange for another year of all this on the off chance they can guilt Dwight into staying is foolish. But part of that's on Dwight too. His seeming indecision played into all of that. These guys brought all this misery on themselves.

8. The Panda

Kobe has a no trade clause and has backed himself into amnesty candidate corner. Lots more 30% shooting? Lots more reasons to cut that big, long, untradable contract from the books.

Coaches always have problems with their players, it's not exactly a well kept secret. It's hardly as malignant as ESPN would make it out to be. These are professionals. They go out there and play regardless of whether they like the coach or not.

As for Dwight, he needs to be honest. He needs to come out and set the record straight. Personal problems with the coach. Fine. Admit them, but reinforce that you are professional and will act like one. You going to leave the city because you want to play with Deron Williams et al? Fine. No one is going to blame you for wanting to win. As you say, his 'indicisveness' is what is making this everyone cringe.

9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Re Kobe, I agree he's on the down side of his career, but the Lakers' response to his trade demand was much better than the Magic's was to Dwight's. They certainly didn't reek of as much desperation, at least as far as I can remember.

Re Van Gundy and Dwight, I don't think airing their dirty laundry is the way to go as I think it just exacerbates the problem, and both need to shut it and go about their business, I agree. They can hate each other all they want in private. SVG deciding to unburden himself really didn't solve anything.

Agreed on everything else.

10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It would be pretty cool if the Lakers amnestied Kobe and the Heat signed him thru the auction to improve their bench scoring.

Walter likes this.
  11. The Panda

It did precisely the opposite of solving problems. But it's out there now and needs to be dealt with. It isn't going away. There isn't enough for sports journalists to write about beyond the Heat losing regular season games. To make it go away, they need to address the heart of the problem. Whether that is admitting problems on camera, or the Magic front office telling Howard that they are sick of his demands, either way it needs to be ended. I don't usually buy into the 'distracted professionals' thing, but it seems to have an impact on Howard - maybe because of his personality, I don't know.

Kobe has spent LeBrons entire career talking him down. I have nothing good to say about the guy. As much as this would be hilarious it would never happen
    1- He won't take an MLE from the Heat and thats all they can offer
    2 - The heat don't need scorers, they need defenders in the paint. Kobe can't defend anywhere.
    3 - Kobe is worse that AI in his inability to sit on the bench. Playing behind Wade is essential the bottom of the depth chart.
    4 - He wants that scoring record. If he is still in LAL next year, I fully expect his usage rate to climb towards 35%+, his TS% to fall dramatically and his shots per game rapidly increase. This is the last year that he has any half decent chance of getting a ring with the team around him. Pau ain't getting younger, and Bynum is becoming more and more irrational and petty.
    5 - The world will implode with the gravitational pull of the black holes of both Lebron and Kobe on the court at any one time.

These reasons don't just cover the Heat. Putting aside my personal feelings towards Kobe, if he became a UR FA, as a GM of virtually any team in the league, he would be very low on my chase list.

LA Dre likes this.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I realize it's never going to happen and that it wouldn't be a wise move but when someone is amnestied there is an silent auction and the team that wins the bidding gets the player and he has to play there or not play at all. Like Billups to the Clippers. Atleast that's how I think it works but I haven't looked it up. I don't think the Heat have enough cap space to even enter the auction with a veteran minimum bid so it's just a experiment of thought.

The Heat organization should officially state something like "We are pleased to announce the signing of Kobe Bryant. He's will split the minutes as a spot minute shooter with James Jones and if he refuses to play here, we have constrained the competition in LeBron James hunt for the scoring record.".

I'd like to see more drama like the Howard/SVG situation. Stuff like this spice up the season. I may be a petty guy but I enjoy a little soap opera between (and during) the games.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you have to give Kobe a chance to fight it out in training camp with Mario Chalmers for a starting position.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kobe still leads the league in scoring I believe. He's not done yet.

16. The Panda

Also usage rate and shots taken.

If Villenueva jacked 30 shots a game I'm sure he could be a big time scorer too

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh, be still my heart.

coynejeremy, The Panda and linwood like this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Before Charlie can jack up 30 shots a game he needs to master the clothes-on-shower-and-sauna. Then he needs a nap. Then we can talk about getting him 30 shots a game.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My favorite comments from Bill Simmons article