Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Says a lot about why the NBA is the way it is today and maybe some insight into why "old time basketball" is a thing of the past.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Yup, WNBA is not known for hefty contracts( commercials), as Laimbeer puts it: you're looking for a job. In NBA, GMs peg for players.

in this article there are many small bits and pieces worth of wider discussion...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The knock against Laimbeer always seems to be "oh, he can't manage the big egos, he can't accommodate the NBA stars" blah blah. Yes, he has to be the alpha dog on the team. But, look at the recent list of champions. ZenMaster, Pops, Larry Brown. These guys were all very much the alpha dogs on those championship teams. I just don't buy that argument.

4. roscoe36

The coach has to be an alpha dog, the only exception of recent note might be Erik Spoelstra.

5. Walter

None of the coaches Dumars hired since Larry Brown have been alphas. We'll see about Cheeks.

6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Pops, Brown, and Jackson (PB&J) are alpha dogs (you have to be to be a coach in the first place), but not in the same mold. They appear calm and studied, and have a "zenness" about them. They appear in control at all times, always thinking. They observe and react, and respond to the way other people behave in their natural state. Laimbeer, on the other hand, does not appear in control, even if he is. He appears to others as if he's trying to rile people up (and he is), but it's not out of an insecurity, I think it's because he feels that pulling deep-seeded emotions out of people is the only way to truly learn who they are and to get them to change. PB&J have a more instinctive insight into the way players feel and react, but Laimbeer uses his directness to pull that out of them. NBA players (and the League as a whole) are so image-conscious, however, that they have no interest in doing that; their entire concepts of self are rooted in people telling them how great they are all the time. The idea that they are weak or flawed would be incomprehensible to them, and if there was any way to reject that, they would.

Could Laimbeer be successful at the NBA level? Yes, but it would absolutely have to be on a team with no superstars (at least to start). He would need his Tim Duncan - a player that had no clear ego, that played smart and could do what he asked. The NBA is not exactly filled with those types of guys. (I think there's a much better chance that he'd be successful over in Europe, where coaches have more control over who does or does not play.) I think in order to be successful in the gentlemen's NBA, he'd almost have to be the GM as well, so that he could get his guys in there. And the pool of players that would play for Laimbeer is much smaller than the pool of players that would play for, say, Maurice Cheeks; I'm not sure it's worth the loss of potential talent to gain what he would bring in X's and O's.

7. roscoe36

We're in the era of Rodney Stuckeys, guys who undermine the coach, and still are on the team. That's the regime run around the league and it's the regime run by Joe.

Bringing in a Laimbeer means that not only would he be tough on players, he'd be tough on management. And that's not something Joe is going to put himself through. I am going to give Joe a pass on the last few years if this year is good. If this year is bad, I will be mad.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I encourage all of the "Laimbeer as Pistons coach" supporters to read that entire article. It sheds a lot of light on why he will never be a head coach in the NBA.

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unlike

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I read the whole article and the reason he is not coaching the Pistons is because JD
    likes Rodney Stuckey more than Bill Laimbeer. These two could never exist on the
    same team. If I were an owner...he'd be my guy...based on the article.

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm impressed by how serious he has taken his WNBA jobs, even with the knowledge that it's not leading to an NBA position. He's got integrity.

He'd really infuriate weak mental players. He'd probably also get a bad reaction from some title capable players.

The biggest thing that I think would actually hold him back is that he seems to want to be the center of attention. Phil, Pop, and Brown give their players a lot of credit when it's due.

12. Walter

If Sheed can be a coach in the NBA, so can Laimbeer. I highly doubt that Sheed would hold anything bad from anybody, yet few doubt his potential as a coach. I've watched A LOT of Shock games when he was coaching those ladies. He was never out of control, and he improved a lot of those players.

But yes, he needs to be in a position like Pops where the players know their fate is in his hands. He can't succeed on buffoonery teams.

13. roscoe36

The thing about Laimbeer is that his players love him. They want to be great even if they aren't capable of being as great as he thinks they can be.

Like PJ, LB and Pop, players want to play for these guys. Not only because they think they can win, but because they want to be coached by that guy. That guy knows how to get the most out of them.

That's a powerful thing. Combine that with talent, and you can win titles. Most teams don't have that in the NBA so the players have created their own broader fraternity, and is probably why we will never see another "Bad Boys" again.

Walter and raxrets like this.
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, Roscoe, right back atchya:

Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers » Blog Archive The "Bad Boy" Era Is Back In Detroit

15. Walter

Whaaa? Where and how did he see this? I don't remember seeing this last year. :-P

16. BillLaimbeer

Good call. Sounds like someone writing a story about a team he didn't actually watch last season.

17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe he didn't watch it frame by frame.

18. BillLaimbeer

That's just poor journalism.

19. Walter

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm partial to the 2-3-2 format. The East and West have seen many years with an imbalance in strength of schedule. The format reduces the HCA and evens the odds. (also I liked how it worked out for the Pistons).

How about just let the team with the better record choose whether they want to be the home team or the away team. Pretty sure they'll pick to be the home team.