Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Gargling lakewater?

Off-Season Improvement...
    Sporting News - JD's Blog

"The "big" teams have made major moves to improve. Detroit, in an attempt to get back to the top, signed Charlie V and Gordon. Orlando, not to be outdone with what Eastern Rival Cleveland did, signed Carter and Barnes and more. Boston, the Champ one year ago, went after Sheed. These teams can certainly be called Eastern Conference Contenders. In the West, the Lakers signed Ron Artest. Houston has Trevor. San Antonio is now a legit threat with Jefferson.

So, maybe my team the Cavs, didn't sign Charlie or Trevor or Artest. But I think they have come out of free agency as the most improved team."

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for posting all these articles, G-Man. This is now my one stop shop for basketball news!
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Where were you shopping before? :yellowprison:
  4. G-man

G-man Starter

Nelson slipped a mickey? ...

Records shed light on Cuban-Nelson $7M dispute
    Associated Press - Fox Sports

"There's deposition testimony from Cuban in which he acknowledges that he withheld consulting fees from Nelson in 2006 because he believed the former coach had "badmouthed" the team during the NBA finals and should be made to "beg" for the money. There's also testimony from Nelson in which he describes being so disgusted with Cuban that he signed a contract to stay on as coach in 2003 only after friends "got me drunk."

"I think everybody would like to see this settled amicably, but you know how it is in a lawsuit," said former Mavericks assistant Del Harris, who frequently acted as an intermediary between Cuban and Nelson when he worked for the team. The proceedings stem from a contract dispute over whether Nelson, now the coach of the Golden State Warriors, should be paid millions in salary he deferred while coaching the Mavericks from 1997 to 2005.

Nelson contends that he legitimately earned the money. But Cuban believes Nelson should get nothing because he breached a contract that made him a Mavericks consultant when he took the Golden State job in August 2006. Although an arbitrator ruled in Nelson's favor, Cuban has refused to pay the money, now totaling more than $7 million"

Records shed light on Cuban-Nelson $7M dispute - FOX Sports on MSN
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Poor form by Cuban. A contract is a contract.
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

The sky ain't fallin...

Is The King Losing The Court?
    Bleacher Report - Noah

"His often jaw-dropping displays of athleticism in a 6'8 265 pound pack brought upon a campaign to glorify this unprecedented specimen. We were "all witnesses" to this athletic marvel. He was the "chosen one". The one to dominate basketball in every facet like Jordan once had.

In 2007, Lebron James took his brilliance to a new level with his solo dismantling of a thoroughly superior Detroit Pistons squad. His performance was almost unparalleled in basketball history. He scored what seemed like his teams last 20 hoops in the 4'th quarter and overtime. The Pistons once-vaunted defense knew exactly what they were going to get and by God did they get it. It was the biggest triumph of his young career. "The Witness" campaign had been validated as we looked at the dumbfounded expressions of the patrons at the Palace in Auburn Hills.

In the finals, his Cavaliers team was exposed."

Is The King Losing The Court? | Bleacher Report
  7. G-man

G-man Starter

Here comes the Sun..

Hearing excerpt: Cuban on Nash's exit from Mavericks
    Dallas News - Staff Reports

"And so we went in there, and it was Steve and his agent, Bill Duffy. And we walked in, and we told him the 10 years — $10 million a year for four years, you know. And, you know, he just had twins, and we were really excited. Steve’s eyes were welling; my eyes were welling up. Steve hugs me. He hugs Donnie. …
    We walk out the door. Donnie and I are wiping away tears. We are high-fiving. We think this is done. Little did we know that Bill Duffy, his agent, despite the fact it was against NBA rules, already has Phoenix in Dallas. And so this is 10:00 to 10:30, 10:45. All of a sudden I get an urgent message, call Steve Nash, call Steve Nash. I’m thinking, OK, he’s ready to give me the go, all right?

I go down to my office at the American Airlines Center, and I still have my notes … and I am talking to Steve, and he’s like, “Mark, I’ve got Phoenix in the room. They tell me I have to make a decision right now. I told them I had to call you first.”

And I said, “OK. What’s going on?”

He goes, “They made me a hell of an offer.”

Hearing excerpt: Cuban on Nash's exit from Mavericks | Dallas Mavericks News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
  8. G-man

G-man Starter

LeBrons upbringing, the media begins it's feast...

LeBron's attempt to hide college kid's dunk disturbingly revealing SI.Com - Phil Taylor

"But no, it was just a run-of-the-mill dunk, the kind you might see in any high-level pick-up game. Crawford drove the middle and took off, with James leaving his man along the baseline to come and help. The King got there a split second too late to make the block, with Crawford finishing the flush just beyond his outstretched hand. There was some hooting and hollering from the handful of fans in the stands, but it died down soon enough.

So the attempt to suppress the evidence was a miscalculation by James, which wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't his second misstep in recent weeks. The great dunk cover-up comes on the heels of his rather ungracious exit from the playoffs in late May, when he drew criticism for leaving the court after the Cavs' elimination without bothering to shake a single Orlando player's hand. Neither of these is a major offense, of course, but taken together, they do point to a troubling possibility. Could it be that LBJ, who had until now shown such unerring public relations instincts, is beginning to take himself too seriously?

Some diva tendencies are starting to show, first pouting after a big loss and now trying to suppress video that shows him as something less than a superman for about five seconds. It's a little like an actress who won't allow herself to be photographed unless her makeup is on and the lighting is perfect. It would be a shame to see James, who has been so appealing in part because he has seemed so natural and down-to-earth, turn into the kind of celebrity athlete who becomes so self-absorbed he can't handle defeat with grace or so image conscious he tries to micro-manage the flow of information about him that reaches the public."

Dunk dust-up may reveal diva hiding inside LeBron James - Phil Taylor - SI.com
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He should try to hide the evidence every time anybody scores on him. He'll reach Kim Jong Il status soon.
  10. G-man

G-man Starter

LeBron's gets his ears boxed..

Personally I think the whole episode speaks to the medias turning more than it does anything about LeBron. He's been dunked on for years by a wide variety of good, bad and gone NBA players.

For some reason, this "Nike controlling the tape" story has turned into a LeBron bashing event. I think he opened the door when he walked off the floor without shaking hands with the Magic after game 6, and he left the salivating media with no sound bites by skipping the subsequent presser.

A "bad boy" moment.

It's like the press pool has been waiting, all fanged up and they smell a little blood in the water and start circling. I don't see a real story in this beyond a day or twos worth of coverage. Then it should've been about how much Nike is paying Lebron ($90M) to help them sell ridiculously priced shoes ($139).

Here's some more "shocking dunks" on Lebron, remember them?

YouTube - Lebron james getting Dunked on Compilation - Lebron gets dunked on by tons of people

YouTube - C.Wheat Music! LeBron James Gets Dunked on!!!! NASTY!!!! Click on Link for more music!!!!!

YouTube - Danny Granger Dunks on LeBron James :: MVP replies with Vengeance

YouTube - Al Harrington dunks on LeBron

YouTube - Caron Butler dunks on Lebron James
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

Nike melts under the heat..

Nike giving back James dunk tapes
    Ap Sports - Tom Withers

"CLEVELAND – Nike says it is returning videotapes it confiscated of NBA star LeBron James getting dunked on at a recent basketball camp.

Nike said it is giving back tapes to two accredited journalists who filmed Xavier's Jordan Crawford dunking over James during a recent pickup game at a skills academy run by the superstar at the University of Akron. The sports apparel giant said only one of the tapes captured the infamous dunk, which has been an Internet sensation.

Nike said it took the tapes based on its media guidelines that no pickup games be filmed.

This week, videos emerged of Crawford's dunk in which he drove the lane and slammed over James, who was not guarding him and was the last defender between Crawford and the basket.

In its statement, Nike said it did not take the footage because James was dunked on.

"It was never about the play or the player, it was always about our media policy," Nike said. "The interest in the tapes has greatly overshadowed the focus of the camp, which is to help young athletes improve their skills, and that is regrettable. It was Nike's decision to take these tapes based on our media guidelines, which we will continue to enforce."

Nike giving back James dunk tapes - Yahoo! News
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sure it wasn't about the dunk in Lebron's face...
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

Iverdone Redux

Has Allen Iverson Been Blacklisted?
    Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

"We never really thought that Iverson would be jobless next season, right? I mean, even Marbury got a deal last year—with the Celtics, no less. And now, one of the most talented (if not most tractable) and defining players of his era could be out of a job. At least that's the way it's really, truly looking, as Yahoo! reports that the Grizz have lost interest and the Clippers are strongly leaning that way:
    Memphis offered Iverson a one-year, $5 million contract with the stipulation that he would likely need to come off the bench. The Grizzlies, however, have not spoken to Iverson or his management team since early July, and neither side appears to have any interest in restarting talks.

[The Clippers are] distancing itself from Iverson after acquiring point guard Sebastian Telfair from the Minnesota Timberwolves and is possibly weighing an offer to free-agent guard Ramon Sessions – though one NBA source cautioned there was still “some life” in talks between the two sides.
    For a second, let's not think about how depressing this is—whether you love or hate Iverson. Has AI been, in effect, blacklisted? He can still perform at a high level, and yet no one will give him a job."

Has Allen Iverson Been Blacklisted? - Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

Bad Boy Training

Past to present: Bryant took a page from Jordan's training manual
    Sean Deveney - Sporting News

"In November, trainer Tim Grover got a call from a notable client—Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant. Grover had spent two summers working with Bryant, helping him prepare for his commitment to Team USA. But, just after the start of the season, Bryant decided he wanted more. He hired Grover for the entire season, moving him from his base in Chicago into a house just five minutes from Bryant's. "I was thinking more about the end of the season," Bryant says. "I wanted to make sure I was in the best shape possible."

Grover has worked with Hall of Fame players, but until this year, the only guy he'd trained on a seasonlong, solo basis was the player whose resume is most comparable to Bryant's: Michael Jordan. However comparable the two are, though, from the perspective of their trainer, there are differences.

MOTIVATION

Jordan: "With M.J., he needed to get stronger to handle the playoffs. If you remember, that was when the Pistons had the Bad Boys, and they played very tough, very physical defense. M.J. was taking a pounding, and he wanted to find a way to bulk up without losing his basketball skill."

Past to present: Bryant took a page from Jordan's training manual - Sean Deveney, Sporting News - NBA - Sporting News
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

This tean will self-destruct in 10 seconds - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6...

Memphis Withdraws Offer to Hakim Warrick; Iverson Incoming? Fanhouse - Matt Moore

"If I told you that an NBA franchise elected to take on one of the most infamous locker room cancers in the NBA today, a player that brought failure and police blotter in his wake, you'd likely guffaw and ask who could possibly be running the operation. If I were to then inform you that they were in heavy talks to add a player that some consider essentially blacklisted and is reknown as one of the most combustible personalities in the league, on top of the prior acquisition, you'd probably be stunned at the ineptitude.

If I then informed you that that same team, according to ESPN, had decided to rescind a qualifying offer for a player who had been not only productive off the bench, but could play multiple positions for the depth-challenged team, who was a popular teammate among a young locker room, who always brought a good work ethic, and who they could have released a month earlier into free agency waters, you'd have to wonder if this team was possibly run by deranged clowns, potentially hailing from outer space.

But if I then told you that the team was the Memphis Grizzlies, you'd just nod your head and say, "Of course."

Memphis Withdraws Offer to Hakim Warrick; Iverson Incoming? -- NBA FanHouse
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Iverdone Redux

With Andre Miller skipping the light fantastic to Portland, look for a return home for AI.
  17. G-man

G-man Starter

Place my fantasy $50 on Delaware -

Leagues, NCAA file suit in attempt to stop sports betting in Delaware
    CBS Sports.com

"Delaware's sports betting plan "would irreparably harm professional and amateur sports by fostering suspicion and skepticism that individual plays and final scores of games may have been influenced by factors other than honest athletic competition," the leagues and NCAA say in a lawsuit filed in federal district court in Delaware.

Congress banned sports betting in 1992 but grandfathered four states -- Delaware, Nevada, Montana and Oregon -- that had already offered it. But the lawsuit argues that Delaware's plan to allow single-game betting would violate the legislation because Delaware has never offered single-game betting before.
    Under the '92 law, the leagues and NCAA said, a state like Delaware may only reintroduce sports betting if it had been conducted between 1976 and 1990.
    They also argue that Delaware's plan is illegal because it allows betting on all sports, going beyond the professional football betting program that constituted the state's brief failed experiment in 1976.

The suit was filed by Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NBA, the NHL and the NCAA.

Meanwhile in Montana, state and University of Montana officials are working to prove to the NCAA that the state's legalized betting on fantasy sports leagues doesn't violate the NCAA's stance against wagering on the outcome of sporting events. The NCAA has said the University of Montana should not have been allowed to host football playoff games last season because the state allows a form of sports gambling. In a recent letter to the NCAA, the state's attorney general, Steve Bullock, said that Montana's gambling laws prohibit wagering on the outcome of athletic events."

Leagues, NCAA file suit in attempt to stop sports betting in Delaware - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video
  18. G-man

G-man Starter

Pointy Heads Unite!

Nichols and Dime: At Which Positions are Great Players Most Important?
    True Hoop - Jon Nichols

"Using the lineup data at http://www.basketballvalue.com, as well as the Adjusted Plus-Minus ratings, I’ve tried to figure out which positions are most crucial to a lineup’s (and team’s) success. My method was pretty simple. I calculated the average net rating (offensive rating minus defensive rating) of all lineups featuring a player with an Adjusted Plus-Minus of greater than three at each position. For example, if the average net rating for small forwards is five, then that means that all lineups featuring a good small forward (Adjusted Plus-Minus greater than three) beat the opposing lineup by an average of five points per 100 possessions.

Overall, it appears that small forwards are the most important, followed by power forwards, centers, shooting guards, and point guards. I’ve heard people suggest small forwards are crucial to a team’s success in the past. Three of the remaining four teams in the playoffs last year featured a small forward as their main playmaker. And as my study on the shooting abilities of small forwards showed, it’s best not to have a specialist at that position. What you need is a player who can do it all because that position appears to be very important to your team being successful.

Things get especially interesting when you look at the home/road splits. At home, small forwards still reign supreme. However, the little guys essentially catch up to the big men in terms of importance.

On the road, though, it appears having a solid interior is crucial. The importance of great guards is minimized greatly and centers and power forwards are well ahead of the rest of the pack."

Hardwood Paroxysm » Blog Archive » Nichols and Dime: At Which Positions Are Great Players the Most Important?
  19. G-man

G-man Starter

Stiff's that sleep soundly...

(A few months old but still a good piece)

The NBA's 68 Worst Contracts
    John Paulsen - The Scores Report

"The economy is really starting to take its toll on professional sports, and the NBA is no different. Bad contracts are bad even when the economy is pumping, but they really stand out in tough times like these. So I decided to look through the payrolls team-by-team to try to identify the worst contracts in the NBA. I expected to list 15-20 names, but I ended up scribbling down 68. That’s right, there are no fewer than 68 bad contracts in the NBA.

I didn’t include any of the players that are in the final year of their contracts because…well, what’s the point? They’ll be off the books in a few months anyway. Instead, I wanted to focus on those contracts that are going to haunt teams for years to come, so to be eligible, players have to have at least a year left on their current deals.

It’s tough to compare someone making superstar money to an average, everyday role player, so I split these 68 contracts up into three groups: the Overpaid Role Players, the Not-So-Super Stars and the Injury-Prones. I will rank them from least-worst to most-worst with the thinking that I wouldn’t trade the player for anyone further down the list but I would trade him for anyone previously mentioned."

The NBA’s 68 worst contracts
  20. G-man

G-man Starter

Owners giving themselves another break?

Vegas Notebook: NBA may offer amnesty; Paul says trade 'possible'
    Pro Basketball News - Chris Tomasson

"LAS VEGAS - Could NBA owners whose teams have bad contracts be getting another mulligan?

It's possible the NBA could end up bringing back the amnesty rule that resulted in teams saving millions of dollars in luxury tax during the summer of 2005.
    When the NBA reached an agreement on its current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that summer, teams were allowed a one-time opportunity to waive one player and not have to pay any luxury tax on him. The player, though, got the full amount remaining on his contract, and that counted against the salary cap.

In all, 18 of the NBA teams used the rule, saving about $212 million in luxury-tax payments. Players waived included Michael Finley, Derek Anderson, Brian Grant and Ron Mercer. Finley's release from Dallas proved the most beneficial to another team as he helped San Antonio to the 2007 NBA title.

With NBA economy in peril and the luxury tax next summer possibly dropping by more than $5 million from $69.92 million, NBA commissioner David Stern has spoken to owners about the possibility of the amnesty rule again surfacing, although any possible resurrection of that rule likely wouldn't be put on the table until late in the collective bargaining process.

If such a rule were to be implemented prior to the summer of 2011, which is when the current CBA will expire if the NBA doesn't pick up the 2011-12 option, it likely would have to be approved by both players and owners. But it could end up being part of the next CBA, and there's a chance the current one could be torn up and a new one implemented prior to 2011.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl said he's heard about the possibility of the amnesty rule returning in some form, and he believes it's a good idea.
    "I think it could be something like we did (in 2005)," Karl told Pro Basketball News at the NBA Summer League. "It could be something that resurfaces (similar to the one 2005). Or it could be resurrected in a different way. Is there a way to address both the owners about the financial situation and the players association, where everybody could come to a happy conclusion?"

However, according to those in the know, there could be serious debate among the owners about whether they would want the return of such a rule. There are some owners of teams who haven't given out as many outlandish contracts that might not want to help out teams that have. Teams that have been more responsible then would be at risk of receiving less money back in luxury-tax payments from the big spenders."

PBN | Reach for amnesty?