Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Just read an LA columnist named Sandy Banks suggested that Sterling buy a hockey team if he wants to avoid black people.
    Heck...Jarome Iginlia might object to that. I've been watching him be a thorn in the Wings side for 15 or more years.
    Wonder if she knew that there are a number of black players who enjoy the sport immensly.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I always have to laugh at the media uproar over racist comments. Everybody's racist to some extent, but we demonize it so severely that the only reaction most famous people jump to is one of outrage and incredulity, as if their subconscious is overcompensating for the horrifying possibility that they might harbor prejudices of their own. Can we grow up and just acknowledge that this is a guy that grew up in a culture where that type of thinking was commonplace and that it's going to be hard for him to change? Also, the more interesting thing for me isn't that Sterling isn't telling her not to hang out with black people, just not to publicize it. This begs the question: who or what is he afraid of? What culture is he a part of where he feels like he's going to face some sort of retribution because his decades-younger girlfriend Instagrammed a picture of her with Magic Johnson? That's the part that makes no sense to me.

Also, are we going to ignore the fact that with how long the conversation went on and the stupidly obvious things that his girlfriend was saying - the only people that ever say "how can you hold that hate in your heart at are fictional characters written by bad writers - that sterling was clearly being set up. I mean, come on... who ever records their phone calls? Now, I'm not trying to justify what he did or to undersell his ignorance and cognitive dissonance - he's still an idiot for believing it and falling into that trap so easily - but this wasn't a public statement. I don't get why all of the sudden he's supposed to sell the team. The media is SO reactionary sometimes that it's ridiculous.
    raxrets, Slippy, The Panda and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Laimbrane, I agree with you on much of what you're saying, but it is what it is and you can't have this in the NBA.

I think the commissioner MUST act within two days and do something with Sterling. Free agents need to stay away from the Clippers.

This isn't Riley Cooper of the Eagles being drunk and making one very ignorant comment. You can't have an owner doing this crap. He represents the league. How can anyone let this pass.

Sometimes stuff is oversensitved or whatever but I'm outraged at this. It's unacceptable.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If he doesn't sell the team over the summer or the NBA suspends him for year while a sale is in place, then FA's won't come and current players will opt out of their contracts when they are eligible.

The issue is the franchise is worth over $750M so Sterling wins even when it is sold....unless the money goes to the wife and kids...
    Nemo likes this.
  5. Darth Tater

I think this is very significant and therefore important enough to warrant it's own thread. So I started a Donald Sterling Thread. Use it or don't.
  6. Laimbrane

The only reason I think that this is overblown is that he doesn't typically let his views affect the team. His head coach and a majority of the assistants are black. His director of basketball operations is black. The director of team operations is an Asian woman. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that he's an example of how you can be personally racist and fight back against it by acknowledging it, and I really hope that at least SOMEONE makes that argument in the coming weeks or however long this story continues to have legs.
    Nemo likes this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Sterling is a moron and most likely a pretty bad person but I have to agree to some extent. I posted my theory on this in the Jalen Uncle Tom thread:

My guess is that more people are genuinly upset over Sterlings comments but far from everyone.
    roscoe36, Nemo and Laimbrane like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

9. Nemo

10. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Panda likes this.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

12. Nemo

Is there any video of him cursing whole smoking a cigarette. That's probably a bad sign.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't avoid rodneys and euros forever.
  14. Darth Tater

They've acquired plenty of game film of him sitting on the bench muttering "I vant to play" :stupid:
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. Laimbrane

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

At first I thought maybe Darkio wasn't playing against tough competition. And then I looked at the picture...

[​IMG]
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In Croatia, it's not uncommon for a defender to grab a player's knee when he is dribbling past you.
  18. Darth Tater

Unfortunately, I don't think it is Darko's knee he is grabbing for. I think he is reaching for his teammate who appears to be getting a bit excited. :inlove:
    vincy4fish98 and roscoe36 like this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Based on that picture, I think Marcin Gortat would have trouble defending him.
  20. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Or in the immortal words of R Kelly (1993) "There ain't nothing wrong with a little bump and grind" :biggrin:
    linwood likes this.