Articles worth mentioning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  2. mikhail1973

The NBA:Where the Whole World Happens | sport

The NBA has truly become an international game over the last 10 years. Remember the days when international fans got so excited about Toni Kukoc? Those days are long gone. If Kukoc was in the league right now, he would get about as much publicity as Nike pumps. As of January 6, 2009, there were 77 players from 32 countries on NBA rosters.
    The League’s international portfolio has been fruitful, multiplying at a rate that would astonish even Shawn Kemp. With so many countries and players represented, I decided to put together a top 10 list of countries based on their strength of representation in the NBA. Admittedly, my No.1 is kind of anti-climatic, but my analysis led to a few surprises.
  3. mikhail1973

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Zach Randolph | 3 Shades of Blue

I have been rather hesitant to put into words what I think of the Zach Randolph deal.

Honestly it is one of those deals that really is best judged in hindsight not in advance. Randolph has had run ins in the past with the law, his teammates and opponents. He also has been a consistently high performing player in the NBA. No one gets 29 double-doubles in only 50 games without consistent effort. Which player will be coming to Memphis is still a mystery.

I have been rather retiscent to discuss the deal because I honestly don't know what will happen here. It's a high risk/high reward type of deal. If things go well the team will be much stronger this season with Randolph over some of the higher profile Free Agents out there. However the potential for disaster seems greater than the potential for reward.
  4. mikhail1973

Suton, Boozer make for interesting Jazz contrast

Carlos Boozer wants out so badly it seems he's forgotten what team owns his contract.
    And while he spends part of his summer practically begging other NBA teams to take an interest, another Utah Jazz player just wants a chance to play for the minimum.
    Say hello to Goran Suton, rookie power forward.
    Suton, whom the Jazz selected in the second round of last month's draft, is a long, long, long shot to make Utah's 2009-10 roster.
    It's not that the former Michigan State standout isn't good, because he is. And it's not that the 6-foot-10, 245-pound native of Bosnia isn't tough enough for coach Jerry Sloan, because once you've lived in a war zone, you're plenty tough enough for the NBA.
    No, the problem is, the Jazz already have 13 players under contract and even if Boozer gets his wish and is traded sometime this week, chances are there won't be enough room for Suton, even on the bench.
    Still, he's doing what he can to get the team's attention.
    Beginning Monday, he will embark on a brutal 12-day, 31-stop road trip for the Jr. Jazz basketball program.
    He'll be doing a series of hour-long clinics for kids in towns throughout Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Nevada.

Just for giggles, let's take a look at Suton's schedule for the next couple of days.
    On Monday, he makes appearances in Dugway (10 a.m.), West Wendover, Nev. (1:30 p.m.) and Ely, Nev. (5:30 p.m.).
    On Tuesday, he will be in Delta (noon), Fillmore (2 p.m.) and South Sevier (4:30 p.m.).
    On Wednesday, it's on to Escalante (11 a.m.), Tropic (1:30 p.m.) and Orderville (4:30 p.m.).
    There are five more stops peppered throughout Thursday, Friday and Saturday, too.
    Come the third week in August, Boozer will either have been dealt to another team -- the Knicks, the Bulls, the Heat; who knows? -- or he will still be on the Jazz roster.
    Either way, he remains the summer's biggest sports story.
    For Suton, the third week in August brings another adventure, with stops in Morgan, Tremonton and Pocatello, Idaho, all in one day. He'll get up the next morning and head off to Soda Springs, Malad and Logan.
    Oh but wait, there's more!
    On the 19th, he will arrive in Wyoming and stay there through the 21st. Along the way, he'll shake hands with folks in Evanston, Kemmerer, Green River, Rock Springs, Hanna, Rawlins, Lander and Jackson Hole.
    I haven't seen his calender, but I'd be surprised if Boozer wasn't scheduled to spend the 19th through the 21st in Miami, with dinner reservations at some of the finest restaurants on South Beach.
    But, please, don't misunderstand our little exercise here. Boozer is an NBA veteran, he's shown he can play at a high level, he's an All-Star. Suton, on the other hand, has a little summer league experience behind him, but he has yet to play in an actual regular-season game.
    Veterans aren't expected to make long, Jr. Jazz road trips in the dead of summer. Rookies are.
    Still, it paints an interesting contrast, doesn't it?
    Two guys, one team, both play the same position. One guy now wants out so badly he's trying to make trade arrangements on his own, apparently without even consulting with the Jazz.
    The other guy wants a chance to prove himself, and he's willing to travel from Orderville to Jackson Hole -- and nearly every point in between -- just to do it.

Suton, Boozer make for interesting Jazz contrast - Standard.NET - Standard-Examiner
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

No fortune cookie for me..

Hoops Turmoil in China
    Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline

"Ratings "soared," but American players dominating the league didn't sit too well in this very nationalistic land. What's more, the huge salaries it took to lure the likes of Bonzi Wells (pictured above) and Dontae' Jones to China outpaced the money they brought in. Oh, and did I mention that Chinese players made exponentially less, and that corrupt refs, thrown games and bribes are widespread?

All of which, in a weird way, is great for the NBA. You might think "wow, this place is terrible for basketball." But as its own professional basketball league melts down, China's hoops junkies may have no choice but to clamor for more and more access to the NBA. While it may offend their sociopolitical sensibilities, they may be the only people for whom the Association isn't facing a constant uphill climb in terms of rehabbing its image."

Hoops Turmoil in China: Good for the NBA? - Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News?
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

Beasts Stretching Legs

East's elite making multiple moves and countermoves
    Pro Basketball News - Chris Bernucca

"All three teams can stake a claim to superiority -- and all three can have that aura erased in the next breath.

Which is why all three have been highly active in the offseason, adding pieces that they think will give them the edge come next spring.

Collectively, this is the roster of players added by the Magic, Cavs and Celtics since the end of the season: Shaquille O'Neal, Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace, Brandon Bass, Marquis Daniels, Matt Barnes, Jamario Moon, Anthony Parker and Ryan Anderson.

The group has five championship rings, nine NBA Finals appearances, 27 All-Star berths, one MVP and roughly $58 million in salaries. Add one capable ballhandler, and it would be in the hunt for the title.

But we're not building a fantasy team here. We're dealing in reality and trying to determine which team now has the upper hand in the rock-paper-scissors game.
    Some of these teams might not be done, either. The Celts are still trying to bring back Big Baby Davis and the Magic are interested in C.J. Watson.

All three teams are in the eight-figure stratosphere of the luxury tax. The Cavs get the most relief from expiring contracts next summer -- which also means they have the most work to do in keeping together their nucleus. The Celts have the most experience -- which also makes them the oldest. The Magic have the most core players locked up - which could be problematic if the mix is wrong."

PBN | Rock, Paper, Scissors
  7. mikhail1973

Woodson says additions have made Hawks better | ajc.com

Woodson says additions have made Hawks better

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constituti

His team was coming off a rousing performance against Boston in the first round of the playoffs, but the external expectations for his Hawks were non-existent.
    Things have changed dramatically since then. The Hawks are coming off of a 47-win season and back-to-back playoff appearances. Expectations for the 2009-10 season are higher than they’ve been for the Hawks in a decade, with the bulk of last season’s team returning.
    So where do the Hawks stack up in an improved Eastern Conference?
    Woodson discussed that and more with the AJC as the team wrapped up its rookie/free-agent mini-camp Thursday.
  8. mikhail1973

HARRINGTON 'LIVING DREAM' WITH KNICKS - New York Post

Harrington's first Knicks season was a hodgepodge. He was the team's leading scorer (20.7 points per game) but not their leading man. For three-quarters, the 6-foot-9 Elizabeth, N.J., native often was an unstoppable scoring force. When the fourth quarter hit, game on the line, Harrington often disappeared.
    "That's why I'm training so hard, two-a-days in midsummer," Harrington told The Post. "I usually don't do that. Two weeks after the season, I hit Coney Island. This year, I want to be a better finisher."
    It was the theme of last season. No finisher.
    "I know that's all about endurance," Harrington said. "The end of the game, I didn't feel the same as the beginning of the game. To be more assertive, I have to be in the best shape of my career."
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

Artest & Kobe to share star on Hollywood Blvd?

Artest's move to L.A. may gain him the ring he so desperately desires SI.Com - Ian Thomsen

"Artest had just been introduced as the newest and most incendiary member of the world champion Lakers, smiling and cracking jokes even as reporters showered him with questions about his past as a brawler, a rapper and a rival to Bryant. As the car prepared to leave the practice facility, a crowd of fans pressed in. "They want me to sign something," Artest said to the driver. "I'll only sign ..." -- he gave this some thought -- "... four things."

The driver lowered his window and took in a silver Sharpie and four mint-condition basketballs, one after another. "That's four things, guys," said the driver, but one fan persisted. He thrust forward a pair of vintage Artest trading cards, saying, "You can keep one."

Artest signed one of the cards and handed it back. "There you go, guys," he called out. "I'll see you next time."

Ron Artest's move to L.A. could be biggest change of NBA summer - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
  10. mikhail1973

Re: Artest & Kobe to share star on Hollywood Blvd?

I sure hope not. I'll be pulling for Spurs all the way.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

C-Webb's Fab 5: Pistons - NBA Videos and Highlights

C-Webb announces his all time Piston Fab 5...

Maybe this should have had it's own thread for a debate on this as we approach the dog days of summer...:sssh: I will let the mods decide on that if this hasn't been previously discussed...
  12. G-man

G-man Starter

Signature Lines..

Notes and quotes from around the game
    Eric Musselman - Pro Basketball News

"COACH'S NOTES
    * Memphis' O.J. Mayo has spent the summer at USC working with Grizzlies assistant coaches Johnny Davis and Henry Bibby on his point guard skills.

* Former NBA and college coach Tim Floyd breaks his defense down into three parts: 1. Stop the transition; 2. Take away the designed offense; and 3. Limit opponents to one shot.

* New Hampshire coach Bill Herrion subscribes to the philosophy that you do a drill right -- even if it takes 25 minutes.

COACH'S QUOTES
    "If you can't coach your best player you cannot coach your team." -- Kelvin Sampson, Milwaukee assistant

"Anytime you have an organization, the first key to success is energy." -- Matt Doherty, SMU coach

"Be straight with your players and they will be straight with you." -- Al McGuire, former Marquette University coach

"Most layups and two foot jump shots around the goal are missed by not putting the ball up high enough on the backboard." -- Rick Majerus, St. Louis coach

"Guys are not supposed to score over 15 points on me. That's maximum." - Ron Artest, L.A. Lakers forward"

PBN | Coach's quotes
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

Rating the plunder..

NBA Top Off Season Moves
    Sporting News Blog

NBA Off Season

While the knicks wait for 2010 and Lebron James, the rest of the NBA has made a wide amount of moves that will most certainly make an impact in the upcoming season. So now lets look at the top five moves that will help their teams next year. Feel free to speak your thoughts or give me your own list.

"Move #5 Rasheed Wallace Becomes A Celtic

The Celtics Have the understanding that Garnett is coming off a injury and Rasheed Could be very useful support. But the Celtics will onlybe a little better and for a short time. This team is a lot older with another 34 year old. But none the less the celtics will not care if the become champs once again.

Move #4 The Pistons land Villanueva and Gordon

The Pistons have this odd way of winning with a bunch of good players instead of having stars. Ben Gorden and Charlie Villanueva would impove any team. But lets face it, the Pistons lost Rasheed and McDyess in free agency. So in the end the pistons will look the same. But not puting this in would be a crime"

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles

14. G-man

G-man Starter

Interesting - A Player Agent Contract

NBA Standard Player Agent Contract Legal Forms and Contracts
    Karemar

"4. Time for Receipt of Payment of Agent's Fee
    The Agent shall not be entitled to receive any fee for the performance of ht~ services pursuant to this Agreement until the Player receives the compensation upon which the fee is based; within fifteen (15) days of the Player's receipt of each compensation payment (as defined in paragraph 3 above) during the term of this Agreement or any extension, renewal, or modification thereof, the Player shall make his fee payment to the Agent in an amount computed in accordance with paragraph 3 above.

The Player has sole discretion to decide that it is in his best interest to make an advance fee payment(s) to his Agent, in which case the Agent is authorized to accept that advance payment; provided, however, that (a) the advance payment cannot exceed the fee prescribed in paragraph 3 above, and (b) with respect to any advance payment relating to deferred compensation the lee shall be based upon the present value of that compensation.

In no case shall the Agent accept, directly or indirectly, payment of his fee from the Player's club. Further, the amount of the Agent's fee shall not be discussed with the NBA club with whom the Agent is negotiating on behalf of the Player, nor shall the Agent or Player secure an agreement from the NBA club respecting the amount of the Agent's fee."

NBA Standard Player Agent Contract Legal Forms and Contracts | Karemar
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

Re: Interesting - A Player Agent Contract

[​IMG] Had to stick myself! - (Boooring - but has b-ball nerd value)
  16. G-man

G-man Starter

Shaq enters the "Rodman stage" of his career

The New Shaq Attack: A Media Blitz
    Washington Post

"I like to do things that other people can't do," he told us before the show. Which makes Shaq one of the most interesting athletes out there. Aside from his day job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, there was his law-enforcement infatuation, earning him a badge as a reserve officer in Miami Beach, and his dabbling in Florida real estate. Now: pro wrestling.

Backstage, Shaq (brown shirt and pants, size 15 diamond wedding ring) claimed he was a big fan of the excessively buffed and bronzed stars on the pro circuit: "I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of guys. I also consider them to be great athletes. You know, they respect me, I respect them." And he demonstrated his favorite closing move ("the Claw") on our colleague Dan Steinberg: "You grab somebody in the head and make them cry. Want me to show you?" (Note: Shaq spread his massive hand on Steinberg's skull but did not make him cry.) "I'll probably get locked up, you guys would probably write a bad article about me, TMZ will be looking for me."

Reliable Source - The New Shaq Attack: A Media Blitz
  17. G-man

G-man Starter

Get your Freak Show Tickets..

When the NBA and New Media Collide
    Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News

"Color me unmoved by the news that Shaq's making yet another reality show. He's had like 12 already, and has become one big lumbering reality show himself. This isn't news for the simple fact that O'Neal does his thing in a fairly safe space: that of a middle-aged dad, with a sly, stable grin, who believes that The Real World gives the people what they want.

No, if Shaq is the past slowly feasting away on its own muscle tissue, until it's as flimsy as halftime features, Stephon Marbury's marathon uStream sessions was perhaps the most terrifying, raw, and groundbreaking demonstration of what athletes will now put out their for their fans. Shaq, despite his tacit disapproval of a young Kobe's incessant image control, does these things as a character. That's what editors and staged events are for. Marbury did ... well, I'm not quite sure what he did, or whether anyone wants to watch it replicated. But one thing's for sure: The world will never be the same."

When the NBA and New Media Collide - Bethlehem Shoals - The Baseline - Sporting News
  18. G-man

G-man Starter

21st Century Blogging Wars Begin

TSN bloggers vs. member bloggers
    Sports Nuggets Blog - Sporting News

"It's been talked about by member bloggers over the last 24-48 hours, so I thought, what the hell, I'll jump on the bandwagon and put my two cents in - yes I'm referring to TSN bloggers vs. member bloggers.

During the member blogger "hiatus" (as one member blogger expertly put it) of last weekend, I had the opportunity to read the "works" of the TSN Bloggers and I gotta say to TSN management - you should be embarrassed!!! Your five gold-star TSN bloggers have so far to go in order to catch up to the quality of the member bloggers that its unreal. I'm pretty sure that I can say with full honesty that I've never once had a problem with a blog written by a member of the community. I've disagreed with them from time to time, but they've always been well well thought out, entertaining, thought provoking, funny, and most of all - sports related. You see TSN bloggers "sports related" means...uh never mind, you'd never understand."

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles

19. G-man

G-man Starter

Shhhh..Even LeBron thinks Cleveland is the Armpit of the World!

LeBron James Won't Sign New Deal This Summer
    Bleacher Report - D. Michael Lee

"The talks of the Cavaliers offering LeBron James a contract extension, and him signing it this summer are slightly inflated. Sources close to the club do state they would like to entertain talks with their star regarding a contract extension, however they would prefer the talks remained between the two parties.

The Cavaliers enter the 2009-10 season with pressure to win not only from their fanbase, who saw a wonderful regular season campaign end at the hands of the Orlando Magic, but also increased pressure from James himself.

Entering a contract year, everyone from the head coach to the ball boy will be watching the teams every step. LeBron, like fellow free agent to be Dwyane Wade, will both likely not sign this summer, wait it out, and see their opportunities heading into training camp."

LeBron James Won't Sign New Deal This Summer | Bleacher Report
  20. G-man

G-man Starter

Robert Johnson's Altered Legacy - "you did what?"

Charming Masochism
    Hardwood Paroxysm - Rob Mahoney

"Life is not easy for fans of the Charlotte Bobcats. Watching Dwight Howard dominate the league is a constant slap in the face. Seeing Jeff McInnis’ name in print makes my blood boil. Raymond Felton’s lack of development can be infuriating. I once had a dream that Sean May, Nazr Mohammed, and Adam Morrison kidnapped my family and delighted in my misery. And underneath the layers upon layers of psychosis, behind the Alex Ajinca punchlines, there are tens of us fans of the franchise, brutally mistreated but begging for more.

I’m pretty sure it’s because we don’t expect any better.

But for those of you who aren’t Bobcats fans, victims of fan abuse, or kicked puppies, I thought I’d take you through the thought process of a part-time Bobcat fan in the aftermath of a miserable trade. Upon reading the news of franchise cornerstone Emeka Okafor being traded for a center once appraised at the value of one Chris Wilcox, one Joe Smith, and a sock full of quarters, I curse the name of Robert Johnson."

Hardwood Paroxysm