As San Antonio Goes, So Does Detroit

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 30, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What's you take on CB and team attitude?

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: what we need

I think this is a really good point. The sacred nature of the five - already starts to sound like a cult - probably hurts us more than helps. Why not allow the coach to determine the best matchups any given night? Of course, that requires solid guys on the bench who can step right in. And that seems to be a problem.

I'd send Sheed and CB down to Indy for JO any day, and let Prince take the old Pippen role which opens up a starting spot that could be variable depending on matchups.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is it possible that the same boring old starting 5 + Dyess are still good enough to be the best team in basketball next year with a tougher coach?

Maybe we don't need to shuffle the whole deck. Just a thought.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bottom line one of the Wallaces has to go. :ohwell: Ben is the heart and soul of the team, and even though he was the DPOY, he is not the same Ben who was there 2003-2005. Seems like even his FT shooting is down and it was already down to begin with:doh:

You never know which Sheed will show up, the arrogant one, the mad one, or the one that dosn't care. That means he is no longer reliable and if you can get someone in return who will give you consistant 15 and 8, inside presence make the deal.:nod:

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

It's possible, but not the kind of possible you want to bet your house on. Stern and Colangelo have stacked the deck in favor of speed players, which we're short on. Lineups for the Clippers and Bulls and Magic will get better with experience, while we'd be standing still for the third year in a row. And just beating on guys like they're rented mules is no guarantee that they'll produce more.

Way back in the exhibition season, guys were saying we need to be quicker -- with the ball, to the ball, guarding the ball. When a 35-year-old named Lindsey Hunter is your best on-ball defender and energy guy, that's a sign you need to change some things.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Despite their flaws, they were still good enough to dominate the regular season. I'm not sure Sheed is a good fit for any team out there. He would have to go to a contender, or he wouldn't behave. What contender wants a 6'11" 3-point shooter who makes false guarantees in the playoffs?

What team out there wants a fading undersized center who can't score and shoots 25% free throws under pressure that they have to pay $12M+/year?

I can see why Billups, Rip, and Tay would be valuable to other teams, and that is why I don't want to trade them.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We're not even supposed to be here...

This is a conference finals team.
    If Ron-Ron doesn't go MCA Indiana plays Lakers and probably wins.
    We scratched our way back last year on shear strenght of will and solid coaching.
    The truth has caught up with us. We are not a dynasty. Just a scrappy bunch of guys going to work. But add in primma donna demands with their Allstar appearence and you see a need for a reconning.
    ...I think only minor adjustments are needed. A bench that can come in as unit.

8. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

TheMicrowave says Sheed needs to go? Wow. I never thought I would see the day. I consider this a huge victory against the win now club.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You're a small man if you are counting victories between clubs when there is a serious discussion about the future of this team.

I've never been afraid to admit I am wrong or that things have changed and my opinion is invalid. Can you say the same? Or have you never been wrong?

10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

An earnest fan, is the microwave.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What is wrong with rooting for the team over the player. Whatever his flaws, Rasheed is our best option right now.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dave, I am a card-carrying member of the win-now club and proud of it. But hey, if we do not win, we have to make changes-adjustments. I think we need speed at the back-up guard and we need a young banger. In the NBA, if you don't change, you go backward.

I thought that our offense had changed. But the league seems to have us figured out now. I am not convinced that other teams have an edge on us but we sure have not shown that we can handle Shaq or Wade and we will have to go through Miami next year.

13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Armygirl:
    :laugh:

Yep...."Can't do it Sal." :laugh:

Having said that, I'm sending lotsa love and good vibrations your way. Allways have. But consider for a moment.

I agree with some of the critism of Sheed's play. But this is a guy that other teams MUST prepare for. Plus his overall defensive play is WAY underestimated oft-times. When you have a super talented yet inconsistent (offensively) player; then you bring him off the bench instead of Dice.

Ben had never been a "prototypical" center, but what other center besides maybe Magloire would you want for him? There is no other center who covers as much ground as quickly as does Ben. Who else can effectively and consistently double anybody with their center? Ben's "non-prototypical" style is a BIG part of our success. Drive me up a F'in wall at the FT line tho. If he can't at least hit 50%; that's a HUGE problem; especially in the playoffs.

I DO agree that we need to add a banger / pain inflictor-er at the backup 5, and a quick defensive backup PG who can also score...a-la Mike James. Still does not give us that "impact" 2 / 3. I'm not down for scrapping a team that has won as consistently as we have. Our issues are the bench and coaching.

14. max

max All-Star

With this win I am not backing off my initial response of the need to add a valid 7'er to the rotation. You can slice and Dice it every which way but with this 3 PF rotation we will continue to get burned by the Verajios of the league that will make things harder than need be.

If we win the title it will be on grit, determination and playing the right way which includes listening to the coach and working together as a unit. Make no mistake about it - if we win every team will be gunning for us next season.

Lets enjoy the playoffs which I am hoping will extend past Friday. Heat will not be playing as loose as they have been I can tell you that.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Max,

I believe we need to add some height, but what's needed against these so-called "energy guys" is our own bruiser, roughneck battler.

His name is JMax. I'd really like to see what he can offer next year as a 10 MPG change of pace. A player with his range and athleticism can challenge the Varejos, the Alonzos, the bozos of the NBA.

I'm super high on this kid. Quiet, but angry. Plays fierce. Doesn't slack off in practice. He's gunna be something to behold.

16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

max
    I agree with adding the 7'er part. You got a name you wanna recommend? We DO need a bruiser who can shut down the highway.

themicrowave
    Agree with this too! I see him as more of a 3/4, rather than a pure 4; a-la Big Nasty. Especially if he can develop some more lateral quickness and improve his FT shooting this summer. But I'd like to see this kid on the court PERIOD (next year). We need someone who can not only draw fouls but bust some azz in the process!

17. max

max All-Star

Hatter - I will reserch more in the offseason. Not even sure who is out there and what will happen with Ben,

Micro - Jmax has great wingspan but he is another PF. I would imagine that he would play larger than Dyess. Hard to ctitique Dyess now after he just helped save the season going 5-5 from the field.

Assuming everyone comes back how in the heck is anyone ever going to break into this 3-PF rotation?