As the NFL turns - Soap Opera continues

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Sep 19, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

T.O. has been fined $7,500 for his end zone celebration this weekend after a touchdown.

ESPN - Push 'pay': Owens fined for videotape celebration - NFL

I only caught a quick shot of T.O.'s celebration and I didn't realize that he was mocking the Pats issue until I read this article. That's freaking awesome!! hahahaha

This really is the "No Fun League". I can understand some of the celebrations that get out of hand. Like T.O.s "Sharpie" celebration or Joe Horn's "cell phone" because those include planting "props" on the uniform or field and that can start to get dangerous, but common, something like this is harmless IMO. The real reason for the fine is that it makes the league look bad because it's bringing up am embarrassment for the league. Now if he had done a Mike Vick dog fighting celebration, THAT would warrant a huge punishment.

What are your thoughts?

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Mike Hart for UM and Barry Sanders, formerly of the NFL would just flip the ball to the ref. Maybe all players should just do this. If they want fun, then go to Chuck E. Cheese's for dinner..................

3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Even though I do find some of these "skits" cute, I think that anything that is planned out beforehand really should be left out of the game. Pure emotion being shown after a great play should always be allowed.

Football is a team sport and anything that is trying to bring attention to the "star" really needs to be kept toned down.

I think the statement that i heard somewhere says it all.... when you score act like you have been there before and you expect to be there again.

Now saying all that, rules to stop it and throwing flags should be dropped and let the players decided for themselves if they want to be classy or "TO"ish.

4. jammertime

Great post round. I absolutely agree. I'm not a big fan of the "show" some players put on. Barry Sanders was the man. He let his game do the talking, not his mouth or antics.

I agree with you that the rules and flags should be dropped. It should be a personal choice.

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I thought the T.O celebration was too funny. I don't see anything wrong with celebrating a Touchdown as long as it does not get out of hand. It is no different that the chest bumping that the Pistons do after a good play or a timeout.

6. jammertime

I don't mind a player that shows passion. I have no problem with someone that gets pumped up after a big play. I also get that the sport is about entertainment. But some of the dances are out of hand IMO, and those are the ones that bother me. I thought that particular T.O. dance was funny as well, but I can't stand T.O.

To me it is. The touchdown dances are almost always about the individual. Team chest bumping at least involves teammates. A lot of the time, after scoring a T.D. the player will run AWAY from his teammates so that he can have a spot all by himself for his big performance.

I'm just now down with that kind of stuff. That's my personal opinion though, and there are people out there that do like that kind of thing. I'm fine with them doing it and I don't think they should be penalized for it just because I don't personally like it.

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I luv this show.
    If anyone is going to be offenced, it must be the leauge.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

HaHaHaHaHahHa. T.O. was so on time . Then Goodell was so embarrassed by it! He made fun of the league and I'm the punisher! What spying? There was no spying. The tapes were destroyed. No proof it ever happened. Especially not to one of our finer stand up SB winnig coaches. The NFL has to be the most pompous league ever.
    -
    And Jamm why are you against a guy dancing when Jammertime is about a singer/dancer.
    If I could spell "hypocrite" I'd call you one.

9. jammertime

Yes, because that is clearly the same thing. [SARCASM]Excellent point.[/SARCASM]

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's right Jamm dancing is about joy, feeling lifes pleasure through your body.
    got to get my feet moving
    yeaaahhhh, feel your groove, hot
    wwwwwooowwww! yeahhhh, check me out
    feel the love, I'm in the groove.
    join me. hhhayyy !

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Jammer is a Habs fan. He hasn't danced for joy since 1993.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

LOL
    Jamm is a Lion fan he hasn't danced since 1957.

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm waiting to learn how to dance.